Jump to content

Couple questions on 856


Dirtscooter5
 Share

Recommended Posts

The previous owner of my 856 had welded blocks into the quick release on the 3 pt. arms. I am hoping to get them working again. I cut the blocks out and ordered new latch pieces and upper and lower springs. Just curious if this is how they are put together? Also the block heater is in the very front freeze plug and it’s burned out. It would make sense to me to try and locate it more in the middle of the block to distribute heat better. I realize some of the freeze plugs aren’t very accessible. Which freeze plug hole do most people use? 
thanks Nick 

72BF03DB-7BFF-434A-B6A1-496900CBF6B9.jpeg

ADF29911-CD7D-43F6-BDAB-F9B405AA9D6D.jpeg

F272DAB8-B11F-4901-9B15-435ACBB5BC0F.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

The previous owner of my 856 had welded blocks into the quick release on the 3 pt. arms. I am hoping to get them working again. I cut the blocks out and ordered new latch pieces and upper and lower springs. Just curious if this is how they are put together? Also the block heater is in the very front freeze plug and it’s burned out. It would make sense to me to try and locate it more in the middle of the block to distribute heat better. I realize some of the freeze plugs aren’t very accessible. Which freeze plug hole do most people use? 
thanks Nick 

72BF03DB-7BFF-434A-B6A1-496900CBF6B9.jpeg

ADF29911-CD7D-43F6-BDAB-F9B405AA9D6D.jpeg

F272DAB8-B11F-4901-9B15-435ACBB5BC0F.jpeg

I try to get them as close to the middle as I can but I know some engines that not possible then you go for where ever plug is the easiest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the block heater in the center threaded port.  I think that was where IH suggested putting them, and where I always do. 

Block on the 3pt lock looks correct to me. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

Dang I was wondering if that threaded plug was for a heater? Where can I buy one? I like that set up way better then a freeze plug type. 

CIH,  I took 3 burnt out freeze plug ones and put a threaded one from the parts book in. Some time ago i posted the part # for someone. Seems like it was only 400 watt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was for me. I have it written down......somewhere. Yes, 375 or 400w, tiny. Turns out mine only needed a new cord. It’s just decoration for me though, if I needed it warm in the winter I would be installing a tank heater. Given.....the plug behind the exhaust manifold looks like it would come out hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest block heater I've ever seen available for a 361-407 was 650 watt. Still not big enough. Most people put two in. On these engines your best best is to install a tank heater if you really need it to start when it's cold.

Travis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've used CaseIH p/n 106725A1 frost plug heaters in all of my 361/407 engines (7 tractors total) with good success.  Most of them, I've located in the rear frost plug on the engine, however, on two tractors, I've located them in the 2nd plug from the front.  One of those is the latest 1256 I've been using to push snow, and I've had really good luck with the engine heater in that frost plug.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

If you have a part # that would be great. My dealer says he doesn’t show any thread in heaters for the 856 but several maxxums used thread in heaters on the Cummins engines. Was the one you ordered for an 856 or something that crossed over? 

It is there, took some time to find. Try 407059R91

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

If you have a part # that would be great. My dealer says he doesn’t show any thread in heaters for the 856 but several maxxums used thread in heaters on the Cummins engines. Was the one you ordered for an 856 or something that crossed over? 

Use the frost plug Heater from the case IH. More than plenty. We have always left 1256 outside with one block heater. Starts to very cold temps a lot of times we would set battery inside that helps a lot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It takes less heat when the heater is located in the block vs a tank heater and hose.

The 856's were well known as being a great, "cold starter".

But it does help to take the chill off.

One block heater should do fine and you can put in two, if you like.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The 856's were well known as being a great, "cold starter".

Grandad had an 8 I grew up on, now the guys I work for have it.... one day when I have room, it will be in my shed.  Anyway, tank style block heater on it went bad before I was around, there was one in the block also that didn't work.  Most of the time we just kept a heat lamp on under the heat houser (windbreaker or whatever you know them as).  I've seen it start at zero or below with the heat lamp and maybe one shot of ether.  That tractor always started.  I can also remember leaving it run days on end just so we didn't have to get it running each day.  It sounded awful on cold start.  Back then, diesel was cheap, and figured it wasn't any harder on it to run than cold start it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dad's 856 custom and my current 856 are both cold blooded.  Both liked to be plugged in for easier starting.  Single digit temperatures,  would not start without a heater or whiff of ether.  We always preferred a heater!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our 12 and 1456 have Kat’s tank heaters, and after an hour of being plugged in, they are warm! My 856 just came back home this past spring after it left in 1999.  10,415 hours on a working tach, it will start down to 30 degrees without much issues.  A little cranking and I think it would start at 10-15 degrees? It will get a new tank heater at some point, maybe? It will never be out when it’s cold again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what my case ih dealer came up with, looks like it is originally for a 361. It’s only 400 watt. I’m in central MO and the tractor is mainly for row crop. It will only get started occasionally in the winter for running an auger or something and we usually don’t get super cold. I just like plugging them in for a cold start. The square drive plug is pretty tight at the moment hopefully I can get it loose. 

2209EEF1-277E-4F79-BE13-A6A0C5C0F681.jpeg

E5EF89CC-AACE-42DB-B3E4-9FB78C31FF9E.jpeg

5074CB12-45FD-4E97-BC1F-D888B3194685.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, Dirtscooter5 said:

Dang I was wondering if that threaded plug was for a heater? Where can I buy one? I like that set up way better then a freeze plug type. 

 

On 2/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, 1480x3 said:

It is there, took some time to find. Try 407059R91

Here's a snip of the screw in heater p/n They are in the depots. image.png.17b4f614810838f1c1df444d9e3d7f41.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

This is what my case ih dealer came up with, looks like it is originally for a 361. It’s only 400 watt. I’m in central MO and the tractor is mainly for row crop. It will only get started occasionally in the winter for running an auger or something and we usually don’t get super cold. I just like plugging them in for a cold start. The square drive plug is pretty tight at the moment hopefully I can get it loose. 

2209EEF1-277E-4F79-BE13-A6A0C5C0F681.jpeg

E5EF89CC-AACE-42DB-B3E4-9FB78C31FF9E.jpeg

5074CB12-45FD-4E97-BC1F-D888B3194685.jpeg

Needed to move my 856 tonight. Plugged it in around 5 PM. Started it at 6:30, no either. Around 15* and had not been started this year. Same heater in it as above. 1 owner, 12000 + hrs original working tach, engine never opened up.  She probly don't have quite the compression that it had a few decades ago  ? but still runs fine

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Needed to move my 856 tonight. Plugged it in around 5 PM. Started it at 6:30, no either. Around 15* and had not been started this year. Same heater in it as above. 1 owner, 12000 + hrs original working tach, engine never opened up.  She probly don't have quite the compression that it had a few decades ago  ? but still runs fine

Good to hear! Thanks for the part #. I had a pretty good cheater on a break over bar and still didn’t geT the plug out yet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My .02 worth, you'd have much better luck with a 106725A1 frost plug heater, replacing the bad one you already have in the block, than you will getting that center pipe plug out of the block.

Heat and candle wax will help get that pipe plug out, though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...