48 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

I ran across this while passing the time this morning. I haven’t seen many 666’s dressed like this.

for sure!

It has survived pretty well over its life.

1 hour ago, farmall666 said:

LOOKS VERY NICE BUT I WOULDNT PUT DUELS ON ONE. HARD ON REAR END. NOT BUILT HEAVY ENOUGH TO BEGIN WITH...

A 656 , 66 , 86 rearend is the preferred option on a lot of pulling tractors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, farmall666 said:

LOOKS VERY NICE BUT I WOULDNT PUT DUELS ON ONE. HARD ON REAR END. NOT BUILT HEAVY ENOUGH TO BEGIN WITH...

Plowed a lot of ground with a dualed up 656.  Never had a problem.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Oh, yeah? Prove it.

What kind of proof do you want,buddy has a light super stock with MX sheet metal and twin turbos kicking out 2000 plus HP. I know it has has some beefing up but it's still a 666 rearend, it amazes me that it holds.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

I ran across this while passing the time this morning. I haven’t seen many 666’s dressed like this.

Is it for sale somewhere??

Ran duals on a 656 for years. It was our planter tractor. When it was relieved of planter duty it had over 15,000 hours. The last planter was a twelve row 30 inch 56 with dry fertilizer. Also had saddle tanks on the tractor to carry 32%. Everyone told Dad it would never pull it, but it was on that planter for five years. Couldn't get in high side TA when the planter and tanks were full. When it had some planted out Dad could pull it in 3rd high side TA. Dad was very reluctant to get a newer planter because he knew the 656 wouldn't be the planter tractor anymore. Took me quite a while to get him talked into an upgrade. Duals on a 656 never hurt a thing. Was his tillage tractor when he started farming in 1971. To this day the rear end of that tractor has not been touched. It is now retired from farm duty and is only used for hobby farming.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Is it for sale somewhere??

Yes, I know we’re not supposed to post stuff for sale on here but I like sharing pictures of the neat tractors I see for sale. I tried to crop the pictures but after I posted them you can see the flint Craigslist heading. It’s posted for sale there.

11 hours ago, lightninboy said:

And I'm saying they won't stand up to tractor pulling unless you weld the pinion carrier or something.

Might just be like that for ditch work to keep er from tipping 

23 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Ran duals on a 656 for years. It was our planter tractor. When it was relieved of planter duty it had over 15,000 hours. The last planter was a twelve row 30 inch 56 with dry fertilizer. Also had saddle tanks on the tractor to carry 32%. Everyone told Dad it would never pull it, but it was on that planter for five years. Couldn't get in high side TA when the planter and tanks were full. When it had some planted out Dad could pull it in 3rd high side TA. Dad was very reluctant to get a newer planter because he knew the 656 wouldn't be the planter tractor anymore. Took me quite a while to get him talked into an upgrade. Duals on a 656 never hurt a thing. Was his tillage tractor when he started farming in 1971. To this day the rear end of that tractor has not been touched. It is now retired from farm duty and is only used for hobby farming.

Agree with you 100%.  Dad's was his main tillage tractor for well over 10 years.  Plow, disc, field cultivator, you name it.  Everything but plant, that was the M's job.  Tough old gal, never required anything but routine maintenance.  Think the only reason dad finally traded was it was a gasser and a thirsty one at that.  Sent her down the road for an 856D.

Measure the distance (on the outside) between the center of the brake shaft, and center of rear axle, on a H-686, their all the same. The width if the clutch house, on H- 686 is 18", . Then do same on M-560,  their all the same.  The width of  the clutch house on M-560 is 20" Note there is a either 1" offset, or 1" shim at frame rail to clutch house attachment on a 460-686. The HP difference between H, and 686 is like 27-73. H came out in 1939. The outside dimension of  trans - diff house between H and 686 is same. after all the problems with 4-560 why didn't they just use a 560 for the base?

h,

19 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Oh, yeah? Prove it.

Google Royce Bone, He won a lot of pulls with a 460 and then a 666 in the 70's and early 80's

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Eason said:

Google Royce Bone, He won a lot of pulls with a 460 and then a 666 in the 70's and early 80's

The question was not whether Royce Bone pulled Superstocks then: the question was if the rear end is the preferred option on a lot of pulling tractors.

The problem with the H-560 rear end housing is its lack of reinforcement between the bull pinion and bull gear.  IH attempted to remedy this by adding 4 dowls in the top cover and reinforcements in the top cover.  I have know a guy in the NA class running a 300 series in a 460 with a 18.4 radial breaking a rear end housing between the bull pinion and bull gear.  The conclusion was he was not running any kind of top cover.  My dad struggled with his LLS 460 where the bull pinions would start to delaminate even though it was pressure lubed, and this was with a 301.  Before selling he was gathering parts for a 656 rear end to replace the 460 due to high maintenance.

18 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

Yes, I know we’re not supposed to post stuff for sale on here but I like sharing pictures of the neat tractors I see for sale. I tried to crop the pictures but after I posted them you can see the flint Craigslist heading. It’s posted for sale there.

Ok...?  I happen to know the owner.  I did quite a bit of work on it 2 years ago and polished it out for him. It is the best used 66 series I been around in a long time.

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 6:54 AM, lightninboy said:

And I'm saying they won't stand up to tractor pulling unless you weld the pinion carrier or something.

There are plenty of High horsepower pullers that use the 656-666-686 trans and differential with great results.  But there are areas that need attention as with all pulling tractors no matter what color..      Transmission gears are replaced with wider ones    Shafts are updated.   Most still run the stock based ring and pinion with bilett carriers.