Ever since my old 1586 caught fire it has been plagued with problems, the one that had caused me the most grief is the MC valve. I have replaced the gasket at least four times and it keeps blowing it out on the lower rear corner. i have  put in a new pump and a new relief valve and the pressures are all within specs. ,when i check them, is there something that could be sticking, maybe in the steering circuit, because i have replaced the steering pump as well because of internal leakage.  

10 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Ever since my old 1586 caught fire it has been plagued with problems, the one that had caused me the most grief is the MC valve. I have replaced the gasket at least four times and it keeps blowing it out on the lower rear corner. i have  put in a new pump and a new relief valve and the pressures are all within specs. ,when i check them, is there something that could be sticking, maybe in the steering circuit, because i have replaced the steering pump as well because of internal leakage.  

How hot did it get ? did it burn the paint off the MCV valve ? maybe the heat warped the plate does the steering brakes and T/A work normally 

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

How hot did it get ? did it burn the paint off the MCV valve ? maybe the heat warped the plate does the steering brakes and T/A work normally 

no the fire was pretty much contained to the left side of the engine itself, i think i need a complete mcv valve after doing more reading, i believe it has internal issues. Now to find a good one .

I would buy a new separater plate first.   Guys get too aggressive cleaning the old gaskets off sometimes and the plate gets wore off.  Before buying a used MCV, I'd buy a new (not used, and if they are not discontinued) separater plate. 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

I would buy a new separater plate first.   Guys get too aggressive cleaning the old gaskets off sometimes and the plate gets wore off.  Before buying a used MCV, I'd buy a new (not used, and if they are not discontinued) separater plate. 

Years ago I had a 1486 leaking in the same area as described and the separator plate was the culprit. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, J-Mech said:

i will check it out thanks

I searched case IH's partstore, it is useless, so i searched through Messick's and it says unavailable.I called the dealer and he's not having any luck yet either. Does anyone know the part number for this plate or where i might find one ?

You need to check the pressure in the steering circuit - the manual shows how and where to tap in to the test ports or you can put a gauge in the line at the cylinder.  Be sure you have the right steering orifice as the change was made to 5 gpm at the 86 series as it had a bigger MCV pump.  

Be sure the back plate on the MCV is flat as well and that you are using the correct gasket as the TA tractors are different than the non TA tractors.

8 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I searched case IH's partstore, it is useless, so i searched through Messick's and it says unavailable.I called the dealer and he's not having any luck yet either. Does anyone know the part number for this plate or where i might find one ?

Part number 382324R1, used on every thing from a 706 up, with or without TA.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally got time to tear the Mc valve off of the 1586 here is a picture of the blown gasket. What puzzles me is the fact that the gasket around the check valve seems to be intact. So where is the pressurized oil coming from. 

FCCB7650-92CC-4C2A-AB03-CDDAF38F0AE4.jpeg

337D237B-FFC4-4131-81AA-AE06DE38256F.jpeg

Doesn't look blown to me, just looks torn during removal.  

I still say it needs a new separater plate. 

You are probably right about a new separator plate im going to run mcv by the machine shop and have them check it for warp or wear. The gasket was definitely blown before i removed it, it was shooting oil straight back against the aux.fuel tank.

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

You are probably right about a new separator plate im going to run mcv by the machine shop and have them check it for warp or wear. The gasket was definitely blown before i removed it, it was shooting oil straight back against the aux.fuel tank.

Separator plate has .0032 warp and .0012 difference in thickness they are going to try to press the warp out and grind it true with a magnetic surface grinder. 

11 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Separator plate has .0032 warp and .0012 difference in thickness they are going to try to press the warp out and grind it true with a magnetic surface grinder. 

Are you opposed to buying one or something???  Why go to the hassle you're going through? 

I am not opposed to buying a new one but where would I find one? I typed in the part number on case IH’s website and it shows the part but when I try to load it in my cart it won’t do it , so I assume it’s NLA

42 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I am not opposed to buying a new one but where would I find one? I typed in the part number on case IH’s website and it shows the part but when I try to load it in my cart it won’t do it , so I assume it’s NLA

Did you try calling the dealer?  I just ordered a huge order of parts for an 856.  None of those parts were available online, but the dealer ordered every one with no issue.  Just because it isn't available for online purchase doesn't mean it isn't available. 

yes I did finally get through to the parts department of a different dealer and he told me it does not come up . Sad but true , I went to school with the guy that owns the machine shop,it won’t be that bad. 

56 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

May have to use different gasket depending on how much material is removed. Gasket thickness sets pump gear clearance I think

Only gasket I ever used was the thick one.  A bit too loose is better than too tight.  

Shaving material off of the plate should not change the pump drive gear depth. I am just glad to hopefully have a solution to the old girls issues.

2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

Shaving material off of the plate should not change the pump drive gear depth. I am just glad to hopefully have a solution to the old girls issues.

Correct.

I'm calling my dealer today and asking about the separater plate too.  Online shows available in limited quantities.  I think these parts guys don't know how to use the system.  Older guys can't work the system, new guys can't find parts because they never seen the equipment.  I may be proven wrong, but I really think this plate is still in existence. 

Inner steel plate 382324R1 is indeed discontinued through CaseIH (part type 6 = no longer available) with zero availability from any CNH depots.  From what I could see, there are no other outlets that have bought up any NOS ones.

48 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Inner steel plate 382324R1 is indeed discontinued through CaseIH (part type 6 = no longer available) with zero availability from any CNH depots.  From what I could see, there are no other outlets that have bought up any NOS ones.

I hadn't called my dealer yet.  I'm assuming you work in parts.

Well, there is always used I suppose.

FWIW, a surface grinder would work well for this. And it wouldn't be difficult at all to have new ones made on a water jet. I think I still have a used MCV around.  I ought to look into having a couple new plates made.  Might be worth the time. 

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

I hadn't called my dealer yet.  I'm assuming you work in parts.

Yep, done this for about 18 or 19 years now, back with the same dealership network I started with, just a different location

• Thanks 1