so for the second time since sept/oct my 2016 that i just purchased has broken, left me in limp mode the last time with a def heater code, replaced under wty, this time i woke up to a garage full of antifreeze - squeegied it out, crawled under there and its leaking off the lower radiator hose where it meets the engine - looks almost like some thermostat housing - it has a smaller fitting on it that goes to the rear of the engine somewhere, appears to be the large radiator hose leaking up above where it clamps onto the engine piece. 

I did not see any type of clamp that was spring/screw type which puzzled me. 

IT has some kind of RED colored antifreeze - my 03 I used Gold in it - presume this is some new fandangled ELC stuff ? I certainly dont have any of it around so wont be putting anything in it. 

Just curious more than anything if the lower hose/connection is disturbed when they replace the def heater if anyone knows. 

Might try to google it up here in a bit and see if i can find any info/video on it. 

Anyone heard if they have been having troubles with these lower hoses leaking ? I put a note out on one of the ford forums waiting to hear on it also. - Frustrating to say the least - 4 yr old truck with only 50K on it broken twice in as  many mos. I'd take my 6.0 back in a heart beat and it had 350K on it. 

Typical Ford: broken. 

DEF heater is in the DEF tank, and it's electric.  So, unless they did something else, they shouldn't have been messing with the lower radiator hose. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, nate said:

Those stupid spring clamps everyone uses are junk.   It could have broken and only part of it on there.    

Annoying? Extremely.  Junk?  Not really.  They hold really well and last a long time.  I've seen just a few break in my whole career, so it does happen, but not often at all.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

DEF heater is in the DEF tank, and it's electric.  So, unless they did something else, they shouldn't have been messing with the lower heater hose. 

ok well crap, guess its a wonky hose leak, i can tell you if this thing keeps it up i will send it packing...........I dont have time for broken stuff I have to have a reliable daily driver for work. 

I have had great luck with my fords over the years even my 6.0 was a great truck for me, others not so much. 

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

ok well crap, guess its a wonky hose leak, i can tell you if this thing keeps it up i will send it packing...........I dont have time for broken stuff I have to have a reliable daily driver for work. 

I have had great luck with my fords over the years even my 6.0 was a great truck for me, others not so much. 

The def heaters are a pretty common thing to go out.   The antifreeze deal is probably something simple.   I’m not loyal to any brand don’t give up on it yet.  They all have issues.  

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

DEF heater is in the DEF tank, and it's electric.  So, unless they did something else, they shouldn't have been messing with the lower heater hose. 

Not all DEF heaters are electric. On semis they use circulated antifreeze that’s why on shut down you hear a pump cleaning the def lines out.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so for the second time since sept/oct my 2016 that i just purchased has broken, left me in limp mode the last time with a def heater code, replaced under wty, this time i woke up to a garage full of antifreeze - squeegied it out, crawled under there and its leaking off the lower radiator hose where it meets the engine - looks almost like some thermostat housing - it has a smaller fitting on it that goes to the rear of the engine somewhere, appears to be the large radiator hose leaking up above where it clamps onto the engine piece. 

I did not see any type of clamp that was spring/screw type which puzzled me. 

IT has some kind of RED colored antifreeze - my 03 I used Gold in it - presume this is some new fandangled ELC stuff ? I certainly dont have any of it around so wont be putting anything in it. 

Just curious more than anything if the lower hose/connection is disturbed when they replace the def heater if anyone knows. 

Might try to google it up here in a bit and see if i can find any info/video on it. 

Anyone heard if they have been having troubles with these lower hoses leaking ? I put a note out on one of the ford forums waiting to hear on it also. - Frustrating to say the least - 4 yr old truck with only 50K on it broken twice in as  many mos. I'd take my 6.0 back in a heart beat and it had 350K on it. 

Antifreeze leaks on 6.7’s is pretty common. I believe the turbo may be liquid cooled on those like on the eco boosts.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I put my 6.7 through the test love it got 133000 on it now only filled the def once

mine is all under wty till 165K so kinda hate to mess with the def stuff - sounds like i need to research the def heater replacement and learn how to do it myself. If they leak like that all the time probably should get a bunch of jugs of that red coolant. 

I had to replace the DEF pump on my 2016 recently. I was not covered in the recalls on those pumps.  Also seen a few drops of antifreeze under it a couple times looking like it came from a connection from a plastic hard line on the bottom of the engine. Never been an issue as it was always around a temperature swing of some sort. They do take an orangish colored antifreeze and DO NOT mix it with anything else. (I know you said you didn’t). 

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Not all DEF heaters are electric. On semis they use circulated antifreeze that’s why on shut down you hear a pump cleaning the def lines out.

I know that.  But on a 2016 Ford, it's electric.  

But clearing the lines isn't for freezing necessarily.  It's also to help stop corrosion. 

I hate DEF.....

I hate tier 4 emissions..... PERIOD. 

And I do not like Ford automotive.  Ford built some good tractors.... but not cars and trucks.  I worked on a lot of Fords over the years and I still hate working on them. All 3 Ford vehicles I owned were junk.  Not trying to start a debate at all, I just wanted to say it, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I know that.  But on a 2016 Ford, it's electric.  

But clearing the lines isn't for freezing necessarily.  It's also to help stop corrosion. 

I hate DEF.....

I hate tier 4 emissions..... PERIOD. 

And I do not like Ford automotive.  Ford built some good tractors.... but not cars and trucks.  I worked on a lot of Fords over the years and I still hate working on them. All 3 Ford vehicles I owned were junk.  Not trying to start a debate at all, I just wanted to say it, lol. 

oh i get it - i have had my share of bad ones, the 3800v6 while a good motor who in the world thot it was a good idea to put the crank sensor behind the balancer, especially when they go out so frequent. That same trannie that served my 98 and 01 gm pontiacs had the same hi pressure solenoid issues that had to be dealt wtih multiple times to resolve issues. 

They were just as bad on wheel bearings as my subaru LOL. I got really good at replacing those hubs. 

I think those 3800s were amazing engines, must like the 302 is a tried and true motor for ford. The C6 were tough as nails. Kinda like the 400T were for GM. 

The 3.3 chrysler in my minivan was an excellent engine. 

Not fond of Tier 4 stuff either. Sure dont like all the extra issues and shortened life of things. 

thanks for the info will see what the wty peeps and ford wants to do tomorrow - not sure if ford will cover it or the wty company - not sure if they will want to tow it or have me put water in it to get it there but it wont be sitting outside if that is the case 

• Like 1

My 16 had a leak as well, turned out to be the water pump, big, long, goofy looking thing. Covered under the original warranty, let's see how long it lasts this time. Love the power the truck has, not do much the fuel mileage

Mark

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just replaced primary water pump in my neighbor's 12 f250 6.7. Only had 45k but was leaving a puddle. I think Dorman makes a kit of orings for that lower connection? My 16 f350 rolled over 29k recently, wonder how long before it gives issues. Son thinks I should delete the def and dpf, but I wonder how they will think at trade in time?

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

mine is all under wty till 165K so kinda hate to mess with the def stuff - sounds like i need to research the def heater replacement and learn how to do it myself. If they leak like that all the time probably should get a bunch of jugs of that red coolant. 

Did mine about 10000 miles dealers told me most of warranty was always emissions related so I took care of problem as far as the antifreeze use a good one you’ll be fine lot of it is just dyed to make a guy feel good

• Like 2

waterpump - UGH!!!! 50K miles for a water pump and 45K for a def heater seems a little out of line to me. My 03 6.0 waterpump was still good at 300K but I had it changed out due to a trip i was taking/planning and thot i woudl do it as PM while putting on ALL new hoses and belt. Fan was still good. 

I hope this thing straightens up I wont tolerate this long. I dont do well with non reliable vehicles. 

The only thing i would possibly expect in 50K miles on something this new is brakes or tires. 

Maybe I have too high of expectations. 

14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I had to replace the DEF pump on my 2016 recently. I was not covered in the recalls on those pumps.  Also seen a few drops of antifreeze under it a couple times looking like it came from a connection from a plastic hard line on the bottom of the engine. Never been an issue as it was always around a temperature swing of some sort. They do take an orangish colored antifreeze and DO NOT mix it with anything else. (I know you said you didn’t). 

the guys at ford tell me today the LATEST is a green/yellow that is universal and can be mixed with the red and they do not have the red anymore, you cannot mix the new yellow/green with the old GOLD colored stuff. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Just replaced primary water pump in my neighbor's 12 f250 6.7. Only had 45k but was leaving a puddle. I think Dorman makes a kit of orings for that lower connection? My 16 f350 rolled over 29k recently, wonder how long before it gives issues. Son thinks I should delete the def and dpf, but I wonder how they will think at trade in time?

thats crap for service life with todays technology @ 45K mine has 51 on it and 4 yrs newer. Good lord..........

13 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

My 16 had a leak as well, turned out to be the water pump, big, long, goofy looking thing. Covered under the original warranty, let's see how long it lasts this time. Love the power the truck has, not do much the fuel mileage

Mark

wow mark sorry to hear that, you guys have a lot of hills out there so i could see the decrease in mpg. 

I get 16 bucking a headwind - 18 on light wind days - 20 on tail wind days at 72 to 75 on interstate empty. 

I have been averaging 16.5 commuting 20miles 1 way and city driving to service calls etc....I do sit some idling but not a lot maybe tops combined 5-10 mins on those days. 

Light towing with about 2 to 3K lbs on my 18' flatbed with 6K lb axles and ramps weighs around 3K lbs, ramps are standups so catch wind to So total of about 5 to 6K I get 13 to 15 which isnt bad I didnt think. 

I havent pulled my skidsteer yet but will soon, that will be around over 13K with trailer/mower/buckets. So pushing 21 to 22 total. I anticipate 11ish with that. 

Mine has 36K on it. I don’t tow constantly but will pull a pretty good load of equipment once in a while. Loaded gooseneck with 25K or so total weight is no problem. I’ll guess I’m around 13-14mpg loaded like that. Interstate trips with cruise set 73-75mph I am around 18mpg. 

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Mine has 36K on it. I don’t tow constantly but will pull a pretty good load of equipment once in a while. Loaded gooseneck with 25K or so total weight is no problem. I’ll guess I’m around 13-14mpg loaded like that. Interstate trips with cruise set 73-75mph I am around 18mpg. 

sounds like about what i am getting, thats good mileage for such big trucks/power im not complaining a bit - the gassers are bad

The def heater and the coolant leak have nothing to do with each other on a 2016 6.7 .  As someone mentioned the common leak is a oring inside the fitting that tees off the lower radiator hose, very easy fix.  Also the clamps on the hoses are known to fail also.

Are you still having issues with the def heater?  Do you have a check engine light and the P20BA code.  

1 hour ago, twp460 said:

The def heater and the coolant leak have nothing to do with each other on a 2016 6.7 .  As someone mentioned the common leak is a oring inside the fitting that tees off the lower radiator hose, very easy fix.  Also the clamps on the hoses are known to fail also.

Are you still having issues with the def heater?  Do you have a check engine light and the P20BA code.  

no ford replaced it under wty as they did the waterpump - pretty high failure rate and return to the dealer for such a new low mile unit, not something I think is good for customer service / retaining customers but then again never was teh 6.0/6.4 debacle