Case 1030 any thoughts

Mike H

anyone have any info on the Case 1030 [I know its not RED]

seen one for sale on line , the price seems reasonable .

Mike

45 minutes ago, Mike H said:

anyone have any info on the Case 1030 [I know its not RED]

seen one for sale on line , the price seems reasonable .

Mike

The 1030 wasn’t the tractor a JD or ihc was but there were a lot of them up here. They lugged down well. They are nice looking tractors restored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 1030 was Case's first 100+ hp tractor.  From what I understand they were 8 speed 930s stretched over 100 hp with a 451 engine instead of the 401 the 930s used.  You google 1030s and you will find they had issues.  I just know for a fact 930s were everywhere in my neighborhood but very few 1030s.  And I have had a few Case guys tell me the 1030s were not as dependable as the 930.  So the internet must be somewhat right.  

• Thanks 1

If it’s close to me, and you don’t want it, I might!  Make sure you cool them down and they will do you good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

If it’s close to me, and you don’t want it, I might!  Make sure you cool them down and they will do you good!

Ya so far researching the head is sensitive to over heating.

Mike

its in northern Wi.

39 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Mike

its in northern Wi.

I know of a fellow that can supply you with a solid head in either cast iron or steel for those Cases.

But he only recommends using it 300 feet at a time!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Mike

its in northern Wi.

The 830 and 1030 take the same head, and northern Wisconsin is way to far. 
My 830 will start down to 10, with good batteries. Way lower if you plug it in. 

• Thanks 1

the case  930, like the 1030 was one of the first to move the operator station forward and higher, with fuel  tank behind. like most 1960-80's  tractors finally went to. I spent a lot of hours on a 930 with a 4 bottom 2way plow.  you can put ih560 brake  actuating plates  in it, they have 7/8" balls as compared   to case with 5/8" balls and the ball ramps have a better angle. weld 3/8" nuts on outside of plates to hook return springs,  (remove springs from the inside of plates), you'll see fix, when looking inside. Drill bigger weep holes in bottom of housing. The gear shift stick goes into trans,( no BS monkey links).  I like those CID's and slower rpm.

• Thanks 1

My uncle had a 1030. For many years. Seemed to serve him well.   He later bought a 1175. My brother has it now.  The turbo sounds really sweet on it, would consider owning it just so I could hear it more lol.  

• Thanks 1

Given a choice I'd take the 930 over the 1030. The 930 way outsold the 1030 here. Maybe just due to the fact that there were more small farmers than big. And the 1030 was the biggest tractor (2 wheel drive) they offered at the time. I really liked my late 930 and still miss it. That big slow turning powerful engine sounded great. I think ratd rpm was about 1750. My 930 was not a "winter tractor" for me but on the rare occasion i started it in the cold I'd just plug in the block heater. I've heard it from Case mechanics that 930s and 730s were always better starters than 1030s and 830s. 

• Thanks 1

Not bad tractors -

2 things....cracked heads from poor operating practices (improper warm up/cool down and running low of coolant)

The other is be careful of loaders on them as the block area has no frame rails and can get distorted from heavy loader usage.

• Thanks 1

Dry brakes are a bit of a pain, dry clutch, pto lever came up thru the floor, tho the pto is a dry clutch( and adjustable). Great tractor moldboard plowing, straight 4 speed tranny, with 2 ranges. No ‘ta or over-under’ as not needed at all, that engine is a beast. If I ever get the opportunity to get a farm of my own, this is one of the tractors I would definitely try to acquire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred B said:

the case  930, like the 1030 was one of the first to move the operator station forward and higher, with fuel  tank behind. like most 1960-80's  tractors finally went to. 

Exactly.  They isolated the platform which was the beginnings of progress towards sound insulated cabs.  MM did that too on the G-1000 Vista.  “Comfort King” might not have been the appropriate term as like any tractor of that era, they were still noisy, dusty, and loud anything but comfortable to run.  But Case was big into using “King” on their machinery like “Traction King”.    

well i am just south of northern wis, we use to have a fair amount of those case tractors as Kalepp Implement in abbotsford use to be a dealer, long gone now, i still like the looks of the newer ones 1370 and so on, 

2 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

tho the pto is a dry clutch( and adjustable).

Have to define dry. It is in rear end and gets plenty wet. Is not submerged though. Is not hydraulic if that is what you mean and is why you have to adjust it. Thats no picnic either

The weekend in December '68 before Dad bought his Money Pit 4010 he had next to last bid on a 930 Comfort King,  new enough to have the rear fuel tank  and MAN! That seat seemed 15 feet off the ground. My Cousin farmed my Uncle's farm right across the road, They assured Dad that in our hills the 930 would be a 4 bottom tractor. We were already pulling a relatively new 4-14 Case trailing plow with Midwest plow harrow. The 12 ft Kewanee disk was about the only other thing it would pull. We needed axle dual hubs for the Case. Our BIG tractor also had mounted cultivator duty, and pulled the Deere #30 combine over 40 acres of oats every summer. The M could have done that easy enough.

I remember J.D. Humm calling his Dad's 1030 a "Discomfort King" years ago, the nose bleeds from the high altitude must have been the reason.  

The one neighbor pushed his 1070 Case over a lot of ground every year. Only problem he had was the Case engine plant in Racine got in a bad batch of rod bolts. My Boss, the tractor's owner's Dad was coming home with an empty wagon from combining corn one morning and he heard a " Bang", couple specks of something on the cab windshield, He pulls over and stops, gets out, and there's a hole in the left side of the block, he sees the crankshaft spinning, rods next to the missing rod moving up and down. He walks back up the road a bit and finds the missing conn rod piston & wrist pin and some bits of the block in the weeds by the fence. The local Case dealer picked the tractor up off the side of the road. The next morning the owner drove to Case's Service Parts Supply warehouse in Sturdavant, Wisconsin with a copy of the dealer's parts order to get his tractor running. Took about an Hour and he was on his way home with the parts. His Co-Op oil had a warrantee to cover ANY engine failure, including bad rod bolts, all he was out was his time and gas money for the parts run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

they are one rough riding tractor due to the short wheel base. i had a 930 years ago and then replaced it with the massey 97. i thought i was in heaven then. very nice smooth running and riding machine. i still will take those old minnies before those cases.

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

MAN! That seat seemed 15 feet off the ground.

That's what it felt like when I drove a G1000 Vista in the hayfield a time or two.

1 hour ago, rustred said:

they are one rough riding tractor due to the short wheel base. i had a 930 years ago and then replaced it with the massey 97. i thought i was in heaven then. very nice smooth running and riding machine. i still will take those old minnies before those cases.

The row crop 930 is 109". an IH 1066 is 105".

Buddy of mine put a 504 out of a 4490 I think, whatever one had the pencil injectors, in his 1030. Huge pump, modified S300 turbo.  We dynoed it at at WMSTR about 5 years ago. The 540 pto started to slip north of 300HP.

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

The row crop 930 is 109". an IH 1066 is 105".

Buddy of mine put a 504 out of a 4490 I think, whatever one had the pencil injectors, in his 1030. Huge pump, modified S300 turbo.  We dynoed it at at WMSTR about 5 years ago. The 540 pto started to slip north of 300HP.

I would be more concerned with the 540 PTO shaft twisting at that level of power...

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here is a short article on the 1030.       https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-tractors/tractor-talk-9/

i have a 1030 almost like the photo in the story. The paint is original also has wider rear tires on it plus M&W turbo.  It's been sitting in the barn for 8 years or so now

50 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I would be more concerned with the 540 PTO shaft twisting at that level of power...

Ohh we were. There's always a big crowd around the prony brake there. We backed the tractor up so the shaft was as short as possible,  made sure no one other than the brake operator was behind the wheels.  He was pretty nervous but said it was alot of fun. Really wish I had a pic, the exhaust even runs through the factory hood hole.