Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Help me out on a theory of operation question.  What exactly does the “clutch” (foot-n-inch?) pedal do on the  big frame hydro tractors?  Is it bad to use it a great deal in light load/low speed situations like running a mixer wagon along a feed bunk?  Thanks!

Not designed for that BUT that use is less damaging than pulling heavy load all day at max drive pressure. The parts that get damaged the most are the poppet and seat in the fni valve. The damage is erosion from high pressure oil squeezing through. The higher the pressure the more erosion. Low throttle low sr lever position low load equal low pressure equal little erosion. Those parts used to be affordable and I replaced them almost anytime I worked on a hydro.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have L50 Michigan same as the Volvo just a little older. Automatic transmission turn signal switch for forward and reverse . Right hand control for loader in just 3 little short sticks to run with

I imagine it was but I don't even like to use that way. It does not have the feel of a standard clutch pedal. Also if you have your speed control lever to high of a speed and you let the pedal out it

Kind of.  The fni valve is the pilot.  You aren't really "blowing off" the main relief valves.  They are large and move a lot of fluid, but their spring isn't very heavy.  Without the fni valve they w

Posted Images

Like I said an inherent safety valve built into system is the spring that holds the pieces together. I think it is 1/4 compression or something around there when you assemble units. Like I said it is a built in inherent relief valve, the spring will lift off. There is about a page of checks in the hydro manual from ihc for plate lift. And read my posts a positive sign of this on early machines is case cooler line failure, later machines are threaded connections, the square 15 bolt gasket will blow before the cooler and pipes do, also on 1420 size machines one bolt hole is close to control valve plate lift will bust the cast case in that point before gasket or seal failure. Read your approved manuals this is discussed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Another question about the IH hydro.  I assume that the swash plates are servo controlled?  The actual effort of the S-R lever to control the swash plates is minimal?

Handle effort is very minimal

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Like I said an inherent safety valve built into system is the spring that holds the pieces together. I think it is 1/4 compression or something around there when you assemble units. Like I said it is a built in inherent relief valve, the spring will lift off. There is about a page of checks in the hydro manual from ihc for plate lift. And read my posts a positive sign of this on early machines is case cooler line failure, later machines are threaded connections, the square 15 bolt gasket will blow before the cooler and pipes do, also on 1420 size machines one bolt hole is close to control valve plate lift will bust the cast case in that point before gasket or seal failure. Read your approved manuals this is discussed.

A safety that destroys the case? In my career plate lift off was always a failure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

A safety that destroys the case? In my career plate lift off was always a failure.

Seen it many times on everything and have seen combines and bidi tractors drive , move well with the situation. I have seen a few of the 1420 size type cases broke, that is size used on 256,276 9030 nh. the reason motor valve plate Lift of release blows the thinnest part of pump case. You guys can question and deride me all you want, that is real world fixing this stuff. Like I said before from versatile, swathers, versatile combines, Massey combines , cement mixer trucks and bidi tractors. I fixed a lot of hydro units, never had much more than a basic IT manual and a old IHC service manual to read. I never had anybody but the parts man a friendly IHC service manager that didn’t do hydro himself but they had a Cummins engine guy that was trained in hydro. so I was always left to my own creativity and every unit drove and worked.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dale560 said:

You need to study the manuals more. The spring separation if I have remembered right is about 8000 psi.

Oh Dale.  I'm laughing while reading your posts.  You do have a crude understanding of a hydro, but that's about it.  First you say lift off is 6000, now 8000.  Dude... system relief is 10,000.  If plate lift of occurs below that, what would the point of a relief valve setting at 10,000?  I truly don't think I, or KS, or snoeshoe are the ones who need to study the books more, lmfao. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I fixed a lot of hydro units,

Well, fixed is a loose term.  You made them operational again I'm sure.  

 

This kills me.  Every hydro thread you are right there telling everyone how smart you are and how much you know, while literally everyone else who has worked on them picks your posts apart.  I do not understand why you keep arguing.  One would think at some point you'd realize, no matter how much you think you know, you aren't an expert in any way, lol.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Oh Dale.  I'm laughing while reading your posts.  You do have a crude understanding of a hydro, but that's about it.  First you say lift off is 6000, now 8000.  Dude... system relief is 10,000.  If plate lift of occurs below that, what would the point of a relief valve setting at 10,000?  I truly don't think I, or KS, or snoeshoe are the ones who need to study the books more, lmfao. 

6,000 is what most stock  relief valves are set, plate lift occurs anytime the relief doesn’t limit and a spike in pressure occurs. I read the approximate pressure once it was spring and valve plate will be pushed apart it was 8000 or upwards to 10, tonite I will go out find the ihc service manual copy these pages off print it on here so you can follow along.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 OK Dale, you do that.  I've got a copy of the manuals, but ok.  I'm actually surprised you do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

FNI pedal is ideally used for only such as hooking up to implements at very low speed, I think, and was somewhat promoted that way.

I imagine it was but I don't even like to use that way. It does not have the feel of a standard clutch pedal. Also if you have your speed control lever to high of a speed and you let the pedal out it kinda squeals and lurches.It just dosen't seem the best way to operate it.I much rather use the lever,you can control from a crawl to a dead stop effortlessly. But to each his own.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The FnI pedal on our small frames always seemed easier to modulate movement on. They operated smoother. It is a lot harder to be smooth on the big frame hydros we have. It can be done but seems much touchier. Dad is more of a fan of using them than I am, with many thousands of hours on them I can't say that I remember them giving trouble because of them getting used but I prefer not to use them much. Stopping to think about it though, I'm not sure he hardly ever uses it on the big frame hydros we have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's surprising, and too bad, that the directional pedals weren't a more common option. All modern hydrostatic tractors have foot pedals for direction and speed control, and they were an option on at least the 656 Hydro at least according to the owner's manual in my collection.

Loader work with a hand control hydro, you need one hand on the directional control, one on the steering wheel, one on the loader controls, but your feet are doing absolutely nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's surprising, and too bad, that the directional pedals weren't a more common option. All modern hydrostatic tractors have foot pedals for direction and speed control, and they were an option on at least the 656 Hydro at least according to the owner's manual in my collection.

Loader work with a hand control hydro, you need one hand on the directional control, one on the steering wheel, one on the loader controls, but your feet are doing absolutely nothing. 

I ran a 560 with a f11 farmhand loader for years digging out haylage from a bunker silo that was pretty darn nice I could keep my right hand totally on the loader controls and steer the tractor and shift with my left , after awhile and years of practice its gets to be second nature

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's surprising, and too bad, that the directional pedals weren't a more common option. All modern hydrostatic tractors have foot pedals for direction and speed control, and they were an option on at least the 656 Hydro at least according to the owner's manual in my collection.

Loader work with a hand control hydro, you need one hand on the directional control, one on the steering wheel, one on the loader controls, but your feet are doing absolutely nothing. 

Buddy has a l50 e Volvo it is hydro drive. But you use throttle pedal and turn signal like switch for forward reverse. His had hand control for loader though.the bidi tractors have foot pedals for loader and  combine like lever for FNR. I love the bidirectional tractors even saw one pulling a big feeder wagon without loader on the other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Buddy has a l50 e Volvo it is hydro drive. But you use throttle pedal and turn signal like switch for forward reverse. His had hand control for loader though.the bidi tractors have foot pedals for loader and  combine like lever for FNR. I love the bidirectional tractors even saw one pulling a big feeder wagon without loader on the other day.

We have L50 Michigan same as the Volvo just a little older. Automatic transmission turn signal switch for forward and reverse . Right hand control for loader in just 3 little short sticks to run with your fingers, very easy and simple. Only one slight little problem with the transmission shifter is after running the loader all day some times when getting back in the pickup I find myself pushing the turn signal down to back up and nothing happens but blink blink blink.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Buddy has a l50 e Volvo it is hydro drive. But you use throttle pedal and turn signal like switch for forward reverse. His had hand control for loader though.the bidi tractors have foot pedals for loader and  combine like lever for FNR. I love the bidirectional tractors even saw one pulling a big feeder wagon without loader on the other day.

Being a E model Voovroo it will also have a right hand reverser in the form of a rocker switch immediately to the right of the loader controls. I’ve spent many hours at the controls of the L60&70E and never once have used the reverser on the steering column. Like the right hand reverser infinitely better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Being a E model Voovroo it will also have a right hand reverser in the form of a rocker switch immediately to the right of the loader controls. I’ve spent many hours at the controls of the L60&70E and never once have used the reverser on the steering column. Like the right hand reverser infinitely better. 

I only drive it once every few years. So I could be off on where switch is but he uses it every day to feed cows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

We have L50 Michigan same as the Volvo just a little older. Automatic transmission turn signal switch for forward and reverse . Right hand control for loader in just 3 little short sticks to run with your fingers, very easy and simple. Only one slight little problem with the transmission shifter is after running the loader all day some times when getting back in the pickup I find myself pushing the turn signal down to back up and nothing happens but blink blink blink.

Is your Michigan hydro pump Drive also. I thought they were sales barn here used to have one like yours . Very handy farm loaders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Another question about the IH hydro.  I assume that the swash plates are servo controlled?  The actual effort of the S-R lever to control the swash plates is minimal?

The S-R lever moves plates which cover or uncover ports. This controls hydraulic fluid to cylinders that move the swash plates.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MarkG said:

The S-R lever moves plates which cover or uncover ports. This controls hydraulic fluid to cylinders that move the swash plates.

The hydraulic cylinders are called "servos". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to change subject or hijack the thread but can you pullstart an IHC hydro tractor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bulldogred said:

Not to change subject or hijack the thread but can you pullstart an IHC hydro tractor?

NO! Towing an IH hydro is a quick way to destroy it. If you're going to tow it, make certain the range trans is in neutral. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bulldogred said:

Not to change subject or hijack the thread but can you pullstart an IHC hydro tractor?

You cannot pull start any hydro anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...