It's been more than 4 hours...

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Oh Jake, now you got em curious and it'll be "off to the Rodeo"?

It's an easy find.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At that temp my hose would be too short   If I could even find it...............................?

I'll take this cold over heat any day. No flies and mosquitos now! And you can always put more layers on to stay warm, but can only take so many off in the heat!

-48 celcius here this morning. Hydraulic lines coulda put Pfizer out of business 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

It's an easy find.

Ok Jake.....you have found it ??         but   remember....."No body likes an eight second   ride  "

Mike

• Like 1

Coldest I’ve ever seen in northern Indiana is -26. Many years ago 

Wrote on stall back splash in dairy (Feb 19th 1991 -21F) that is about the coldest I remember. I know we had lots of trouble with water troughs and silage freezing to outside of silos over that cold snap. Cold weather and snow doubles the chore times, a simple task easily turns into a big job. 

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

fingers will go numb in 5 minutes if it’s too cold. 

I've got one finger that actually goes white when it gets cold. Blood just shuts off and it hurts like a son of a gun when it thaws out. I jam a hand warmer in that finger of the glove or wear mittens when plowing on an open station where I don't need too much dexterity. Stupid crap we do as kids comes back to haunt you when it turns out you're not actually bullet proof!

Been in some very cold weather working, seen extreme wind chills.  But you will have that in the Arctic.   This morning it’s -13 F here, and not to bad. 

someone is always colder and someone is always warmer

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 801486 said:

One old boy told me he'd thought about tying a string on his for when he had to pee

If you have ever been duck hunting in waders you will think that might not be such a bad idea!!  It is not so bad until your cold fingers touch it!?

5 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Wrote on stall back splash in dairy (Feb 19th 1991 -21F) that is about the coldest I remember. I know we had lots of trouble with water troughs and silage freezing to outside of silos over that cold snap. Cold weather and snow doubles the chore times, a simple task easily turns into a big job. 

I remember that one. I was working at the JD place and it seemed like all we did was run around trying to get tractors to start.

I remember in late December of '83 it got to be -80°F windchill. The Jiffy Lube in Fargo serviced a record number of vehicles and they got a plaque for it they were still displaying proudly in 1991.

Once My dad drove a new Magnum full-throttle over hard snow drift covered roads at -39°F and the MFWD steering knuckle broke and I later found the turning radius adjuster in the ditch.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, bitty said:

I feel your pain. Better than having big poisonous snakes year round though ....

You are just wrong!!!  ?. I will take the snakes and warm every day.  Snakes are rarely seen even out clearing, cold is everywhere and you can't get away from it!!!   Y'all are a LOT tougher than me.

But it's a "dry cold".... seriously. I've said it before, but when we lived in MT and would come back to IA for Christmas, we would have to go back to MT to warm up. It seemed like Wall, SD was the dividing line for starting to feel the humidity. Even though it was probably 20 degrees warmer here, we just couldn't keep warm.

-20F was comfortable where we lived in the mountains. I could set on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee and just a sweatshirt. Usually had people get lungs frozen or something because it didn't feel as cold as it was and they would over-do the outdoor activities.  Tourists usually... so it was no big deal.

When it got down to -30/-40F range I used to enjoy going out into the timber at night and listen to the trees explode. The sap would freeze and go off like a gun shot.

The colder it was the clearer the sky's were and the more wild the northern lights. I could sit and watch them dance for hours.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, lightninboy said:

I remember in late December of '83 it got to be -80°F windchill. The Jiffy Lube in Fargo serviced a record number of vehicles and they got a plaque for it they were still displaying proudly in 1991.

Once My dad drove a new Magnum full-throttle over hard snow drift covered roads at -39°F and the MFWD steering knuckle broke and I later found the turning radius adjuster in the ditch.

I remember that 13 years old but my crazy sisters were in college at grand forks and they burned car starter out. Dad had to pay service guy down there extra money to get starter put on 72 ford Torino so they could get home.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, IH766 said:

-48 celcius here this morning. Hydraulic lines coulda put Pfizer out of business 

20210125_195422.jpg

Jeez that cold.

But we have wet and cold here. Well wet and warm in comparison and the wind goes right through you. I think it is too lazy to go around.

I am sure it is warmer when we have a frost than when we have a wet and windy day.

Kids got real excited the other morning going to school as it was sitting in the toilet cold.

-4° c

20210125_082322.thumb.jpg.0d66468b0972d4e14b2552fdb3392de5.jpg

Quite pathetic really.

No guard on PTO shafts .  always freaks me out

I guess it's all relative, but I'm glad we don't get it here. Last year we had one day at -1 F, and that was in November. Might see -20, but that is unusual. Nothing will keep me from my Dunks iced coffee, however.

20180107_104550.jpg

On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 AM, AKwelder said:

Been in some very cold weather working, seen extreme wind chills.  But you will have that in the Arctic.   This morning it’s -13 F here, and not to bad. 

someone is always colder and someone is always warmer

Reminds me when I was young and feeling friskey, my old man always told me, don't talk when you should be listening because there is always someone faster and someone tougher, boy was he right about that, I told my kids the same thing. 

• Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, db1486 said:

I'll take this cold over heat any day. No flies and mosquitos now! And you can always put more layers on to stay warm, but can only take so many off in the heat!

I visited with an old Marine several years ago.  He had a pin in his cap saying something about the Pacific during WWII.  I asked where in the Pacific he was, and he replied "Peleliu", where the temps were over 100, humidity was very high, they didn't have enough water, and the Japs were royally p.o.'d and ready to die for the emperor.

The he said he got called back up for Korea, and was at the Chosin Reservoir, where the Marines were not equipped for the brutal cold.  He lost most of the use of his feet there due to frostbite, and lots of his buddies froze to death if they weren't shot or blown up.

I said "wow, they really had you at the extremes".  He replied "yeah, and I'll tell you what.  I'll take hot over cold any day."

• Like 2
On 1/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, lightninboy said:

I remember in late December of '83 it got to be -80°F windchill.

I don't remember the year but it was early '80s (could very easily have been '83)when redhead and I (I was driving her car) got stuck in a shallow drift in a ground blizzard.  Just an inch or two on the ground but it was sub-zero, and the wind picked up while we were at a wedding reception.  Left for home and plowed in to a shallow drift on the peak of a hill, which was whited out as we drove in to it.

We finally decided I'd walk 1/2 mile back to the closest neighbor while she waited in the car  Difficult decision.  Fortunately I had on long johns and a leather bomber jacket.  Had to walk backwards - couldn't breath walking in to the wind.  Neighbor pulled us out then took us home after leaving the car at his house.  He had a 4wd Chevy and drove through his pasture around the spot we got stuck in.

Next day the weather out of KC said wind chills that night were 80 below.  If I'd had too much to drink at the reception I wouldn't be telling this story, and the redhead probably wouldn't be around either.  Pretty sobering.

13 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Last year we had one day at -1 F,

Floating between zero and minus 1 F here this morning ,  As long as there is no wind it's bearable ,

But I still dont like it ?

A little bit below 0, but plenty of wind. Wood boiler makes plenty of btus, but not enough radiators to keep up with the wind. Too cold to run the mill, so I'll stay in the garage and cut joinery.