1086 block heater

34 minutes ago, twood1954 said:

To get my tractor to start any time the temperature is below 100 degrees, I plug into both block heater for at least and hour. Then it only take about 1/4 can of happy juice.  

But you use JD happy juice. And what is your compression ratio? 6 to 1 ? You should look into adapting a gas starting system then switch to diesel.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whenever you use a drop cord on a heater (block or tank), make sure it is heavy enough for the application and that it is in good condition.   Drop cords and engine heaters cause a lot of fires.  I wo

If its a freeze plug type heater I've ran them all day before no prob but the circulating tank type heaters I'd only do 4 hours tops they are much faster than the block heater style I use the heavy du

1486 got plugged in when done feeding today at 2 pm. It has been below zero all day and minus 19 now.  I  also have a couple of pieces of heavy cardboard for shields on the sides to keep the wind out

Posted Images

Only use JD happy juice the only thing they make that is good.  compression ratio is around 13 to 1 static don't know what it is at 100 psi of boost but she comes to life then.

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

You're fortunate on your electric price, then. When I first tried out the block heater on my JD2355 and left it plugged in for 2 weeks during a below 20 cold spell, it cost me an extra 60$ on the bill that month. Lucky for me, it was the last 2 weeks of the month. I bought a timer after that but have never used it because we stopped having that kind of cold.

It makes very little different on my monthly electrical bill but i use a timer also 4 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening to do chores seems to work pretty well for starting in 0-10 degrees here

2 hours ago, twood1954 said:

To get my tractor to start any time the temperature is below 100 degrees, I plug into both block heater for at least and hour. Then it only take about 1/4 can of happy juice.  

Yup, I have one of those too. 1968 3020 with 148 loader.  You forgot to mention " just turn the wheel while cranking the motor"?

Hardest starting tractor I ever had was a 4850 JD it needed a snort of either at 40 degrees even plugged in  

2 hours ago, twood1954 said:

Only use JD happy juice the only thing they make that is good.  compression ratio is around 13 to 1 static don't know what it is at 100 psi of boost but she comes to life then.

What makes them start so hard do you know? The overfueling or just the cam grind? Cummins and other high horsepower older diesels were down to 13.5 to 1 and they would start okay.

we always would plug them in when we were done with chores and they would stay plugged in for 10 hrs straight.  Our backup loader tractor would be plugged in for days on end never any trouble.  I was told it costs a dollar a day to run a block heater.  We used to keep 3 plugged in all the time.  Built a 45x48 heated shed with floor heat and it keep it at 48° and it costs around $120-150 per month with electric heat so in our eyes the shed more than pays for itself by having a warm place for maintenance and just having all the oils warm on start up

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, maxxum 140 said:

we always would plug them in when we were done with chores and they would stay plugged in for 10 hrs straight.  Our backup loader tractor would be plugged in for days on end never any trouble.  I was told it costs a dollar a day to run a block heater.  We used to keep 3 plugged in all the time.  Built a 45x48 heated shed with floor heat and it keep it at 48° and it costs around $120-150 per month with electric heat so in our eyes the shed more than pays for itself by having a warm place for maintenance and just having all the oils warm on start up

Exactly this. I don’t understand why people won’t put a piece of equipment inside a heated spot that feeds all your livestock. For years we pulled everything out of shop we were working on every night and ran loader inside. 

I thought some of the tank heaters had a little thermostat built in no?? Never used one always use block freeze plug heaters. I'm missouri that's all you'll need for the most part. Unless you want fast 

7 hours ago, twood1954 said:

just guessing its a puller with very low compression for LOTS OF BOOST

• Like 1
5 hours ago, twood1954 said:

my all fuel deere is only around 6 to 6.5 to 1 i should be able to run at least 200 lbs of boost then ? hmmm how to hook up a turbo now .....

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my all fuel deere is only around 6 to 6.5 to 1 i should be able to run at least 200 lbs of boost then ? hmmm how to hook up a turbo now .....

Run modified   turbo ( more like a blower) with belt drive and extra Briggs and Stratton engine mounted on slide right side of engine belt pulley. Old timers used to talk of that need extra power slide Briggs engine ahead connected to belt pulley away you went.

Yes it a Light Limited Super Stock puller.  Dale it is combination of cam and a lot of timing.  When the timing was a lot less it would start with out happy juice.  With the timing more advance it makes a lot more power and EGT is lower and the turbo is a lot happier.  

1 hour ago, twood1954 said:

Yes it a Light Limited Super Stock puller.  Dale it is combination of cam and a lot of timing.  When the timing was a lot less it would start with out happy juice.  With the timing more advance it makes a lot more power and EGT is lower and the turbo is a lot happier.  

i dont think my jd @900 rpms  WOT would work too good with a turbo and 6.5 to 1 compression - maybe a project for someone here ? 

14 hours ago, dale560 said:

Exactly this. I don’t understand why people won’t put a piece of equipment inside a heated spot that feeds all your livestock. For years we pulled everything out of shop we were working on every night and ran loader inside. 

That works if the machine will start and drive.  That is not always the case!  Definitely a separate heated storage space is nice.......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

That works if the machine will start and drive.  That is not always the case!  Definitely a separate heated storage space is nice.......

We pulled them out of shop or planned workspace. This wasn’t weekend projects either. Many cars and pickups , trucks got the transmission tied up pulled out while engine got fixed or rebuilt got dressed up. We always made room for loader tractor to be back in.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, dale560 said:

Ain't no part of my 1486 and bale processor that will fit in my tiny shop. 

Get it out of the wind and plugged in is best I can do. 

Got my dream shop all planned out in my head, just waitin' on the old lotto................................?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

https://thepowerbadger.com/about/

Just saw this in a farm show publication.  Seems like the ideal solution if it works as advertised.

Looks like its basically a fancy timer , I'll stick with my trusty intermatic timer only time it fails me is when the power goes off then I'm screwed anyway

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 4:37 PM, ksfarmdude said:

Looks like its basically a fancy timer , I'll stick with my trusty intermatic timer only time it fails me is when the power goes off then I'm screwed anyway

I think that is the brand I use. Have two of em. One just finally quit timing correctly, it sped up.

The other one is still chugging away. 

Have it on the side of a power pole year around (so I don't misplace it?)

Had them a very long time and they have been great. Don't think they cost that much either. 

• Like 1

Sure going to need block heaters here now they are predicting below zero night time temps here next week 

I plugged the Hydro 186 in for about an hour and twenty minutes today. Our barn is old and not heated. It is 15 degrees outside and the tractor started like summer time.