Maybe I can be nonpolitical and talk about the weather? 
Suppose to be in Portales New Mexico this afternoon. Weather guessers started talking 3 to 6 inches of snow yesterday. Now I don’t like driving in snow! Got my wings clipped in it 3 years ago about today. 

Well, no snow here but a coating of ice. Truck has been running for half an hour and still not good. 
I love driving in snow versus skating on ice. 

DCB4DD19-56C5-404B-A590-6B992314BE45.jpeg

54B86854-658B-4BA6-91E4-4DB79B148F9A.jpeg

• Sad 2

I've is no fun, especially when you aren't used to it or equipped for it. Stay safe out there.

My Dad has always said he'd rather deal with snow than ice. At least you can move snow. Ice your stuck with until it melts.

• Like 1

Suppose to be 6 to 12 of snow here starting at 11am  into tonight with wind thru tomorrow morning or longer.  I might just take tomorrow off. Got some vacation to use before I reload in 6 ish weeks or so. 

Ice sucks. Be careful out there.

I watched that weather system come it. We are on the NW corner and not sposed to get more than an inch of snow. 

Nick have a safe trip

Doug, sounds like a good idea. If you don't have to be out in it much better to deal with it at home!

• Like 1

Not here yet but it is coming. Schools reporting closed already yesterday. Omaha businesses and gov offices are reporting closed this morning. Been a while since that has happened. Propane tank is full, firewood if needed, pantry is stocked and meat to last a couple months......bring it on.     

Still don't have the chains on the 706 though.

Heavy rain on the south side of that storm all night last night. All waterholes are full with 1.5 to 1.9 inches around my house. Lots of thunder and lightning and reminded me of what’s to come with April and may just around the corner. 
  I was planning on being at great bend first thing this morning but checked radar last night and saw ice/rain mix from Pratt north to great bend and decided to sleep a little later. Better to be a couple hours later than down a couple weeks cause something happened. 

58 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Heavy rain on the south side of that storm all night last night. All waterholes are full with 1.5 to 1.9 inches around my house. Lots of thunder and lightning and reminded me of what’s to come with April and may just around the corner. 
  I was planning on being at great bend first thing this morning but checked radar last night and saw ice/rain mix from Pratt north to great bend and decided to sleep a little later. Better to be a couple hours later than down a couple weeks cause something happened. 

Grandpa always said “Thunder in January, flood in June.”  

I refuse to travel on icy roads (unless its a bad emergency), If I am traveling and run into ice I stop at the first chance, get a room and stay until it clears up. A good friend was killed years ago in Ohio trying to get from the motel to the job site on icy roads. 

• Sad 3

Well, I made it to Portales and back to nearly Dalhardt Texas. Drove in snow and ice most of the way to Oklahoma then hit 55 degrees! Ice all fell off before I got to the scales at Clovis!! Tomorrow I get to play in the snow again. Headed to Hastings Nebraska. 

• Like 1

As of about 3pm the road is blown shut. Drifts were 2-3 feet or more at that time. Feed bunks drifted over. And we are only half done with the storm. Still blowing like He!!.  

You guys will be proud of me....... I put the chains on the 706. I would add what the wife told me about the chains (or lack of) but that would get me poofed.       Ok winter, come and get me.

• Haha 1

I never had much problem with snow or ice when running to Chicago, we always ran loaded heavy enough once we got moving we could keep moving.  Now the screwball I ran to Des Moines every night for was a totally different story. 10,000 pounds was a Big load, and drive tires were almost bald.  One night I tried three different ways to get to my one pickup and could not get up hills around east side of town without spinning out.  Then there was the night where the light rain turned into freezing rain around the 208 mile marker in Iowa, first car had slid into the median, Me and a guy loaded to 80,000# with drywall who was passing me when the wet road tirned to ice,  we both slowed to 30 mph and made it to the rest area.  I got hit THREE TIMES sitting still. The rest area was so slick you couldn't stand up. BOTH lanes of I-80 east bound closed with stopped traffic.  Yep, snow is not good, but ICE is WAY worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Around here the problem is not enough ice.

People are going ice fishing on the lakes and falling through.

About 12 people have already taken the polar plunge this year.

A Grandpa and his Grandson both drowned after falling through the ice.

Be careful on the lakes and roads.

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Around here the problem is not enough ice.

People are going ice fishing on the lakes and falling through.

About 12 people have already taken the polar plunge this year.

A Grandpa and his Grandson both drowned after falling through the ice.

Be careful on the lakes and roads.

Falling through the ice is one of the dumbest ways to die! Has to rank right up there with parachuting into a pond full of gators!  Happens around here too. Even as much as I love to fish, bad ice just isn't worth the risk.

Made it to work last night, only had to pass about 15 cars on the way, 31 miles. I'm sure a high percentage would consider me a maniac. Drive home was much easier even though the road was drifted pretty good. Not much traffic after midnight.

Time to go move snow here in town, will do the farm tomorrow.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 7:33 AM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Cast iron helps for sure, but yes ice is the pits. Glad we haven't had any yet.

KIMG1937.jpg

Looks like you got plenty of iron there, sharp outfit.

14 hours ago, lightninboy said:

That's a Case IH, not a New Holland. Who built that?

I assume you are asking about the spreader. It is from the original IH line. They were IH built. The 595 was available into the 90's sometime.