I think I have the answer

what no fly swatter or ruler? my mom used whatever was handy, i got it with about everything you could imagine, willow switch, horse bat, horse whip, hog whip, belts of various assortments, dad used boot or fist - i was afraid of my folks 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

what no fly swatter or ruler? my mom used whatever was handy, i got it with about everything you could imagine, willow switch, horse bat, horse whip, hog whip, belts of various assortments, dad used boot or fist - i was afraid of my folks 

Dang Searcy, sorry to hear that. 

That is a tough way to grow up. 

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Those hot wheels plastic race traces were brutal, whew. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, farmalldr said:

Our son once hid the wooden spoon.  He knew what it meant if his mom got that out.  Wasn't very often though, he was a good kid now 50yr old.

I hid all my Mom's belts once. It didn't turn out well.

• Haha 3

My mom took the wooden spoon to me once, first swat, it broke, so I laughed, and that was the wrong thing to do! The next closest thing in her reach was the wire handle fly swatter! Those don’t break!! Made me a better person though!! 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, farmalldr said:

Our son once hid the wooden spoon.  He knew what it meant if his mom got that out.  Wasn't very often though, he was a good kid now 50yr old.

I cut up my moms rubber hose she used on me....don’t really remember what the next weapon of discipline was, but it wasn’t as bad as that one was. I probably wasn’t a poster card child......I hope my dad doesn’t chime in.....

• Haha 1

Yardstick.  Used very sparingly, though.

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Dang Searcy, sorry to hear that. 

That is a tough way to grow up. 

yes it was, mom said she whipped me everyday whether i needed it or not, i guess she thot i was prone to breaking rules or she was going to break my spirit, she accomplished that. The positive side of that? It made me a HUMAN DOING, not BEING. I could never do anything good enough. Shame drove me to doing everything with  intensity. In sports I was the one always pushing everyone to their limit. On my job, it was done right every time. Might not have been to the fine detail or perfection but it was done, it worked, everything cleaned up and left like I was never there. I was angry, hurt, frustrated, and I took that out in my work, sports, activities. It made me someone who thinks about what I am doing to others. It made me want to STOP the things that hurt me and NOT do that to those close to me. Do I do it perfect, NO but I have learned to own my mistakes and ask forgiveness. 

I am not a victim, I am a Child of the King and HE needs me to be a Light for these difficult times. Life is a hard walk but worth it. 

• Like 9
10 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

X2

19 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

yes it was, mom said she whipped me everyday whether i needed it or not, i guess she thot i was prone to breaking rules or she was going to break my spirit, she accomplished that. The positive side of that? It made me a HUMAN DOING, not BEING. I could never do anything good enough. Shame drove me to doing everything with  intensity. In sports I was the one always pushing everyone to their limit. On my job, it was done right every time. Might not have been to the fine detail or perfection but it was done, it worked, everything cleaned up and left like I was never there. I was angry, hurt, frustrated, and I took that out in my work, sports, activities. It made me someone who thinks about what I am doing to others. It made me want to STOP the things that hurt me and NOT do that to those close to me. Do I do it perfect, NO but I have learned to own my mistakes and ask forgiveness. 

I am not a victim, I am a Child of the King and HE needs me to be a Light for these difficult times. Life is a hard walk but worth it. 

Although I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I am glad you used it to strengthen you in positive ways.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Although I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I am glad you used it to strengthen you in positive ways.

thanks its taken me a while to get to these places and lay it all down, the hurt runs deep and I have to keep it away. It creeps back in easily. I can be ME now and no longer a human doing but a human being. 

IF any of you ever ponder these things check out Chip Dodd more christian perspective and Brene' Brown secular perspective ( we need both )  - good stuff - awareness is a huge part of the battle.  What we do with it from there is on us. 

• Like 2

I don’t remember mom doing much whipping but dad had a paddle with a handle just for swats. Looked like a fancy paddle in my principal's office that had swatted my butt several times but dad didn’t sand and varnish his. 
  I didn’t get in trouble much but the worst was probably when I didn’t listen to dads warning during church. Getting drug out by the bell tower for a quick swat happened a couple times. It was Like they had a swatting section at church in the 80’s. That was where all the kids who couldn’t be quiet learner they can be quiet. My cousin would get dragged out by his earlobe. 

I grew up with one family of black farmers , one of the boys and I are good friends yet today . The problem is , you see her turned to the pew behind ? Black women would whip others kids while their kids were angels ! Friend of mine always said his aunts whipped his ass and always said that too,

10 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Those hot wheels plastic race traces were brutal, whew. 

HEY I REMEMBER THOSE. ORANGE ABOUT 3 FT LONG. THEM  *******..LOL

• Thanks 1

Mom had a wooden spoon and broke it on me.  Then she bought a thick plastic spoon.  That thing stung like crazy.  She kept it in her purse.  I only got hit when I needed it though.  Dad only ever hit me a few times,  again,  I had it coming. I  am lucky though,  I had good parents.  I have spanked my kids a few times but I try to talk about problems first and go to God for help and guidance. 

Principal used one like this on me when in 8th grade back in the ‘60s.  Third hit sent me flying across his desk and on the floor. 

43C59860-A172-48BB-BC4B-3136BE150987.jpeg
Dad just used the wire end of a fly swatter, belt or apple tree stick. 

If the threat of punishment was not enough to make me repent, Dad had other methods.  He might make me weed the garden or muck out hog manure in the barn with a pitchfork.  Once I mowed 4 acres with the push mower- in July.  He could make his point!