Can i grow tobacco legally?

Dell

I am guessing that Connecticut or a Wisconsin variety might be able to be made to work or maybe if you make a small greenhouse with some old windows even just to get the plants started and then transplant them.   All production tobacco that I know of is transplanted.

3 hours ago, Tobaccoman said:

From the date you transplant the tobacco plants in the field until harvest, you need 100 frost-free days.

For example, I would seed my tobacco beds (where you grow the young plants to transplant) about April 15 each year, and start transplanting about June 10.  The transplants will be 6-8 inches tall.  About 1990 or so, there were greenhouses that would start the transplants and you could buy from them. Harvest of the ripe crop would start about last week of August, and you go like H____ to be done by first frost. Even a light frost will likely kill tobacco, and make it not harvestable. 

When we moved to Wisconsin in 1990 there was a lot of tobacco grown around Madison and south towards Stoughton. SON's grade school teacher's family raised about an acre or a bit more as a family project.  They had a really nice Super M they used just for the tobacco.  Used to be 4-5 tobacco sheds around back then,  one about 350 feet from our back door.  It's the only one left standing now.

My MOM raised tobacco for a year or two in NW Illinois, decorative vegitation along the road in frt of their house.  Just to see if it would grow.

Willy Nelson grew waky tabaky ....