Can i grow tobacco legally?

Dell

I've always wanted to grow my own tobacco but i want to do it legally.  Dose anyone know if this can be done (home use only) . I guess i could spend all night on a ATF web site but  I'm sure someone knows the answer. i've always wanted to try growing and making my own cigars...

6 minutes ago, Dell said:

I've always wanted to grow my own tobacco but i want to do it legally.  Dose anyone know if this can be done (home use only) . I guess i could spend all night on a ATF web site but  I'm sure someone knows the answer. i've always wanted to try growing and making my own cigars...

https://www.google.com/search?q=growing+tobacco+for+perdonal+use&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I would think that would be fine. If it isn’t just call it marijuana...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes you can, for your own use, no restrictions, no limits.. If I remember right, you can also sell up to a SMALL amount legally.  IF I remember right.. Check that out if you get to that point. And New York might have some rules of their own. There are many tobacco varieties for many uses, and many climates. You need to investigate the varieties to get what you intend to use it for.. Cigarette, chew, cigar, cigar binder, and maybe you want to blend several varieties together to get the result you are after. Your university extension should have information to help. If anyone raises close by, ask them what grows best there. I know years ago, there was tobacco grown in southern Canada. Have no idea if they still do. I grew up around it in southern Wisconsin. 5 to 8 acres per year.

• Like 1

I believe you need many, up to 6 months, of frost free days to grow.

If so, you would need to get the plants started early in a green house and transplant after frosts are over.

You can research this.

I hear it is labor intensive.

• Like 1

It is very labor intensive but on a garden plot it shouldn't be too bad. 

As said you would need to start the seeds in a greenhouse or have some way to start the seedlings.     Tobacco seeds are incredibly small for the size plant it makes. Smaller than the ball in the point of a pen.

I'm not sure what variety or combination would get you the flavor and characteristics you are looking for. 

Most greenhouses in this area will get seeded in early to mid March. 

I just finished stripping and sorting my 2020 crop (dark air cured PA41 and some Connecticut broadleaf) last week, I was glad to wrap it up. 

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

It is very labor intensive but on a garden plot it shouldn't be too bad. 

As said you would need to start the seeds in a greenhouse or have some way to start the seedlings.     Tobacco seeds are incredibly small for the size plant it makes. Smaller than the ball in the point of a pen.

I'm not sure what variety or combination would get you the flavor and characteristics you are looking for. 

Most greenhouses in this area will get seeded in early to mid March. 

I just finished stripping and sorting my 2020 crop (dark air cured PA41 and some Connecticut broadleaf) last week, I was glad to wrap it up. 

After being dried and now ready, how is the tobacco readied for cigarette use?

Is it ground or chopped?

How do they make Copenhagen?

18 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

After being dried and now ready, how is the tobacco readied for cigarette use?

Is it ground or chopped?

How do they make Copenhagen?

All of the processing happens after we deliver the tobacco.

Mine would go for cigar use mostly. As I understand it, the lesser grades would be ground up and blended to whatever ratios the customer wanted.

I do not know how they make Copenhagen. I have helped on the farmer end of tobacco that gets used more for chew several years ago but I don't know much about it since that wasn't the tobacco I decided to grow.

For the OP, Lancaster Leaf's website has a crop timeline and a little info on some different varieties of tobacco.   http://lancasterleaf.com/TobaccoType.htm

I don't smoke or chew.My dad chewed Red Man and smoked a pipe.But I wonder if you raise it yourself with no sprays or fumigation of the soil would it be as bad for you.I have zero desire to use it in any form,just becuase it's hard  enough getting old without speeding it up with nicotine. 

27 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I don't smoke or chew.My dad chewed Red Man and smoked a pipe.But I wonder if you raise it yourself with no sprays or fumigation of the soil would it be as bad for you.I have zero desire to use it in any form,just becuase it's hard  enough getting old without speeding it up with nicotine. 

My opinion is that the sprays etc applied at the farm are of little to no effect on the actual health effects. They all have harvest interval limits etc that sprays for everyone's corn and soybeans have. 

Tobacco raised on production scale (half acre or acre on up) is a complete disaster when tried to raise without spray, for commercial use. Too many leaves with damage that aren't worth anything and aren't wanted by any buyer. Organic tobacco was a thing here for a few years but it went away since there was no market for it. If you are raising 15 plants in your garden you can probably pick off all the bugs and pests on tobacco and probably have less of a chance of disease coming in with the weather etc. 

I don't use tobacco but I do raise it because it is a young man's crop that can be grown here with a decent hope for profit. 

25 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

My opinion is that the sprays etc applied at the farm are of little to no effect on the actual health effects. They all have harvest interval limits etc that sprays for everyone's corn and soybeans have. 

Tobacco raised on production scale (half acre or acre on up) is a complete disaster when tried to raise without spray, for commercial use. Too many leaves with damage that aren't worth anything and aren't wanted by any buyer. Organic tobacco was a thing here for a few years but it went away since there was no market for it. If you are raising 15 plants in your garden you can probably pick off all the bugs and pests on tobacco and probably have less of a chance of disease coming in with the weather etc. 

I don't use tobacco but I do raise it because it is a young man's crop that can be grown here with a decent hope for profit. 

I heard from Mennonite friend of mine it's a lot of hard work and now they figure they can get more profit from vegetables.He says tomatoes are easier and higher profit. I never raised it but all I read it's a bear.

I am not sure we have enough of a growing period here in NY to grow it. I have never seen any grown or heard of anyone growing it around here.

Jimmy Stewart grew his own in Shenandoah.  And rolled his own cigars, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf5SDKcfFkU&ab_channel=Weblatte

I got a small bag of tobacco seeds at the farm show in Louisville when I was in high school by asking around at a few of the tobacco grower organizations. We grew some in the greenhouse at school until the leaves were 12” diameter or so. It was interesting to see but none of it ever made it to maturity which was probably best. I never smoked or chewed but it was pretty funny watching a less than studious classmate try and chew a green leaf once ??

• Haha 1