Jump to content

1066 dipstick relocate


CW from SD
 Share

Recommended Posts

I use hand crank barrel transfer pump. Stick intake into bucket and clamp a tube to rubber outlet hose and stick it in and pump oil in. Can do it all on the ground and spill little to none. No batteries, no dumb funnels, no climbing in and out of cab or platform. Pump 20-25 gallon in 5 min or so. 

Ive seen a pic where someone welded a pipe to reverse fork side cover and filled from there. 

Screenshot_20210122-124031.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

I use hand crank barrel transfer pump. Stick intake into bucket and clamp a tube to rubber outlet hose and stick it in and pump oil in. Can do it all on the ground and spill little to none. No batteries, no dumb funnels, no climbing in and out of cab or platform. Pump 20-25 gallon in 5 min or so. 

Screenshot_20210122-124031.png

Dad used our barrel pump to fill the 706 with hy tran the other day.  Easiest way with the heathouser on!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We found that our 1974 766 has the casting places for fill port and dipstick, all we needed to do was drill out the castings and install the dipstick and fill port.

100_0065.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I've used this from Harbor Freight, lets you pump from a 5 gallon pail:

5 Gallon Oil Pump 95068 alternate photo #1

Looks like a good idea,does the pump last or just throw away after it croaks from a couple of gallons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   The filler tube idea must of be passed on from the letters series engineer group to the 66 series guys.  Since this 766 we got here doesn’t have a factory 3pt hitch I was able my own.  Went to local hardware store & came up with this.  

036F2EDA-B9B5-42DA-9ABC-182DA5102143.jpeg

CA437AB8-A73C-4310-B572-53B7C87DE231.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

This is what I have built for the 66 Works awesome

6E6739AA-C679-4C25-B45B-549DE575C93C.jpeg

I made something similar with steel pipe, I think it was 3/4".  It had to be a threaded end to be small enough to fit in the fill hole, and it burped so I cut slots lengthwise in the end of the pipe to let air out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, redturbo said:

   The filler tube idea must of be passed on from the letters series engineer group to the 66 series guys.  Since this 766 we got here doesn’t have a factory 3pt hitch I was able my own.  Went to local hardware store & came up with this.  

036F2EDA-B9B5-42DA-9ABC-182DA5102143.jpeg

CA437AB8-A73C-4310-B572-53B7C87DE231.jpeg

My only suggestion is that I would want a short nipple in the plate and turn that street 90 around to use a cap instead of the plug. This way moisture would have a harder time trying to get in 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, CW from SD said:

Thanks for the reply, I've been doing it for 10 or 11 years, the funnel burped today and made a mess of the cab again, I obviously need a funnel with a breather hole on the side.  I like the idea of the thumb oil can though. And really appreciate the tip on the 86 tube.  Thanks again

A piece of brake line with a bend at one end hangs on the funnel and works good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copper tube? Brake line? Those things cost like $4, but, a piece of  smooth Fence Wire is essentially free.  I have one through a hole in the top edge of a funnel, hang it down and stick it between funnel and fill tube to make an air gap. Then flip it up and use it to hang funnel over the waste oil container to drain.  I do this with a Long flexible metal  funnel, (big one, 5/8 hole or so) that I bend up around the park brake lever, but I’ve used a plastic straight funnel too. 

Talk about dropping a screw driver down a fill hole......I was installing a new floor mat and rubber boots around the pedals on one of our 66’s once, had the dipstick out for some reason, and had a 5/16 shallow wall 3/8 drive socket slip off my impact, fly, bounce, and drop square down that hole.  Took about 4 hours to find it, maybe longer. It felt like longer. I could Hear it as it bounced down the gears and splashed into the oil. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Talk about dropping a screw driver down a fill hole......I was installing a new floor mat and rubber boots around the pedals on one of our 66’s once, had the dipstick out for some reason, and had a 5/16 shallow wall 3/8 drive socket slip off my impact, fly, bounce, and drop square down that hole.  Took about 4 hours to find it, maybe longer. It felt like longer. I could Hear it as it bounced down the gears and splashed into the oil. 

Oh, dude.... that SUCKS!  But, anyone who's spent a bunch of time working on equipment has done stuff like that.  I've dropped a few things into engines and transmissions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had that left side cover off (whatever that’s called) and finally got it with a cow magnet clamped 90 percent of the way (to limit its force) into a piece of rubber hose that I was “snaking” along the bottom.  Then that afternoon I broke one of those ridiculous design  spark plugs off in my 40k mile ‘05 3v F150, while just doing a ProActive tune-up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Oh, dude.... that SUCKS!  But, anyone who's spent a bunch of time working on equipment has done stuff like that.  I've dropped a few things into engines and transmissions. 

Never dropped something inside a motor that I couldn't get out easily but dropped sockets and tools down in belly pan of my crawler. If I can't reach it it stays until pan comes off and that might be years. I have one socket in there now next owner might get  it.Pan only comes off if it HAS TO.Parts are another story that's why when working on it I stuff rags where ever I can so when I drop something which always seems to happen, it won't disappear into the abyss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May be a deal where desperate enough, line the bottom of the trans case with cow magnets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I had that left side cover off (whatever that’s called) and finally got it with a cow magnet clamped 90 percent of the way (to limit its force) into a piece of rubber hose that I was “snaking” along the bottom.  Then that afternoon I broke one of those ridiculous design  spark plugs off in my 40k mile ‘05 3v F150, while just doing a ProActive tune-up. 

Left side cover was always called the "Indiana plate".  Bet you can't guess why. 

Ahhhh.... the dreaded 3V Ford.  Yes.  I'm familiar with those gigantic hunks of wasted metal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Never dropped something inside a motor that I couldn't get out easily but dropped sockets and tools down in belly pan of my crawler.

I hear you on that.  Lost some tools down the neck of a road grader.... there is no "out" on a JD grader that we found.  When you drop Snap-On tools, you look until you decide to buy another one.  Usually you give it a really good effort, lol.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worst I ever did was dropped an allen wrench down a cylinder in a fourwheeler engine with the head on. I really don't know how it happened, but I was adjusting valves. Plop, right down spark plugs hole. I should have bought a lottery ticket that day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, J-Mech said:

I hear you on that.  Lost some tools down the neck of a road grader.... there is no "out" on a JD grader that we found.  When you drop Snap-On tools, you look until you decide to buy another one.  Usually you give it a really good effort, lol.  

And it's different if it's not yours and a customer's machine. Its gonna leave with your tools as soon as its out the door and you might never have a chance at retrieving them again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I currently have a 1/2" drive 1" deep snap on impact socket in the belly pan of a D6R. Been there about a month now. Customer knows it is there since he is the one that dropped it. I'm just worried about the condition of the socket when I get it back. Dozer is at a sand plant and runs in waist deep water when they run it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...