Farmall 806 front axle question

needhelp

I just purchased a 1965 Farmall 806 diesel. Overall a nice tractor that I will use to mow brush with a 12' mower. I bought it from a local dealer who took it in on trade. They knew very little about it. The wide front axle is freshly painted with many new bolts. I don't know if was a replacement or changed from a narrow front. My issue is that the steering arm on the left spindle is loose. I tried tightening the cross bolt, but it is still loose. I took it apart and checked the spindle and that looked good. The woodruff key was in place. I didn't have any calipers to measure the spindle or steering arm so I put everything together and really tightened it down with a 3/4" drive socket and 4' extension bar. I was careful not to break anything, but the steering arm is still loose. I took some calipers today to the farm and measured the spindle that extended up through the steering arm. It measured 1.69" which I think is correct. Is it possible for the steering arm to wear so much as it cannot be tightened or is it the wrong steering arm. It was too cold to pull it apart today. I'd like to get this fixed. 

Thanks for any ideas and help.

Chris

The keyway is probably worn, either the key groove in the spindle is worn, or the slot in the steering arm is worn.  Probably a combination of both.  No matter how tight you get that pinch bolt in the steering arm, it'll never stay tight with a worn keyway.

• Like 1

Matt,

Thanks for the info. We test drove this tractor at the dealer, but were going slow just checking that everything worked. We bought it and drove it to the farm, about 15 miles and then noticed the left tire wobbling. We bought the tractor on December 31 and paid cash. The dealer wanted it off the books for 2020 and really worked with us. This is the largest tractor I've ever had or even driven. Never needed anything large until I bought a 12' mower. I pulled it with an International 460 for two years, but it was really working the tractor and I didn't want to damage it. The 806 is overkill, but it was local and the price was right. We're painting some of the sheet metal now, it should make it run better in the spring :)

Somehow I've become a fan of the International/Farmall line having owned 4 so far. 

Chris

• Like 1

I'm using a brushhog 2512 to mow warm season grass weeds and light brush. I know grass is tough to mo. I'm trying to manage fields for habitat. I was using a 5' mower and it was taking about 40 yours to mow everything. It's much faster with the 12'.

Chris

try welding the key bigger, but use a locking plier to hold it for the grinder. if you weld the arm to the shaft, put a little piece of round rod in the corner, and weld to that so later it will be easy to torch, and grind out later.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:39 PM, stronger800 said:

Maybe he’s mowing brush with a haybine? 

My 8’  bush hog makes 125hp grunt if it’s cutting anything dense. 

Welcome to the forum needhelp.

Is this a 3008 Dual spinner BushHog?    I bought one of those 15 years ago, and have had very poor performance.   I don't use it all that much, just to mow 1-2 miles of roadway ditches a couple times a year.   I've had to rebuild 2 gearboxes, had a driveline twist in 2, already replaced the clutches 2 times....and I'm only running on a 100hp tractor with soft start PTO!   Right now, I've got it on the 666, and it REALLY loads that poor tractor!

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Is this a 3008 Dual spinner BushHog?    I bought one of those 15 years ago, and have had very poor performance.   I don't use it all that much, just to mow 1-2 miles of roadway ditches a couple times a year.   I've had to rebuild 2 gearboxes, had a driveline twist in 2, already replaced the clutches 2 times....and I'm only running on a 100hp tractor with soft start PTO!   Right now, I've got it on the 666, and it REALLY loads that poor tractor!

He mentioned that it’s a 2512. I have the same machine and it’s a 3 point mounted 12’. It has 3 spinners and gearboxes. I’ve had great luck and no problems. The only problem would be that it doesn’t flex like our 15’ batwing so it doesn’t follow uneven ground as well.

It’s been used most on a 1066 but I’ve also used it quite a bit on my 656 hydro. Mowed some heavy brush last spring with the 656 and worked fine.

I think he was asking me, as I have the 8’ jobber that turns hard. It is a dual spinner. Can’t recall the model.  I want to say 3608? Two years old now, suppose to be heaviest model they make. 250 or 300 hp gear boxes, something ridiculous, maybe it was only 200, and 3-4” tree cutting capacity. I just cut golden rod and corn stalks. 

21 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I think he was asking me, as I have the 8’ jobber that turns hard. It is a dual spinner. Can’t recall the model.  I want to say 3608? Two years old now, suppose to be heaviest model they make. 250 or 300 hp gear boxes, something ridiculous, maybe it was only 200, and 3-4” tree cutting capacity. I just cut golden rod and corn stalks. 

You are correct.  Sorry, I misunderstood.

We'll work on the key and make it fit better. It's snowing and getting cold now. I don't have a heated shop at the farm so I'll have to wait until it gets a little warmer to pull steering arms off again. I appreciate everyones help.

I need to replace all the tires, 9.5L x 15SL on fronts, 18.4 x1