I decided to let it alone

MTO

My flags usually endure 6 months of weather before becoming tattered/torn/faded.

I keep fresh new ones on hand to replace with.

I noticed today mine is looking poorly again.

I chose to leave it alone. 

It reflects my mood as it is.

Maybe replace it another day.

God bless our flags.

20210121_120150.jpg

20210121_115942.jpg

20210121_115936.jpg

• Like 15

of the 200K+ flags in dc yesterday (to fill in for people)how many were from china

and made from china foreign cotton/ materials ?

are they going to get a proper burial   or simply trashed

I completely understand the comments about our mood. I’m sure a lot of people feel the same. However I find myself in a different camp. IMHO it is disrespectful to the flag and our country to allow a worn, tattered flag fly. I only fly my flag on important days , National holidays etc. since I don’t have a way to illuminate it properly at night. I also don’t care for flags emblazoned on vehicles or clothing. I do recall a flag themed bikini top that I found interesting to look at but for the most part I don’t care for such displays. To each their own. I would urge you to retire your worn flag after an appropriate amount of protest/mourning. 

• Like 3

Each time I see a ragged tattered flag the Johnny Cash song comes to mind.  Our old flag has been through a lot and hopefully has a lot more life left in it.  The wind storms last week did a number on mine and it will have to be replaced next time I go into town.  My mood is generally the same as yours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 12_Guy said:

IMHO it is disrespectful to the flag and our country to allow a worn, tattered flag fly.

Understand.

I find it disrespectful when our flag, tattered or not, isn`t flown. 

But, to each his own.

And no disrespect to Mark60 either.

My neighbor lower his to half mast.

Didn`t ask why, his flag. 

• Like 1

Mine is up 24/7 365 with a light on it at night. Whoever is in office is never the end of the world and I'm proud to be an American.

I usually get a year per flag. We're on a hill and the wind really gets it and the USCG below it really snapping. Some storms I wonder if the pole is going to make it. The halyard given up a couple of times. I turn the flag back to the flag store as they have a Boy Scout troop that burns them.

Fly your flags!

Edit: I'm on an email alert for when it should be at half mast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoilerRed said:

That's ok, MTO.  I think Johnny'd approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfzJ8UBr-c0

Thank you!

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Mine is up 24/7 365 with a light on it at night. Whoever is in office is never the end of the world and I'm proud to be an American.

I usually get a year per flag. We're on a hill and the wind really gets it and the USCG below it really snapping. Some storms I wonder if the pole is going to make it. The halyard given up a couple of times. I turn the flag back to the flag store as they have a Boy Scout troop that burns them.

Fly your flags!

What do you have for a flag pole? 
I made one out of a white cedar tree, but I would like a real flag pole someday 

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Fly your flags!

How do you get on that list?

Mine has held up amazingly well, we don’t have super bright direct sun and we surely don’t have the wind that some do, but i am still impressed, gotta be over a year old now and still in nice shape. Up all the time with a light. 

What I find offensive is every time anything happens anymore the  powers that be want the flag at half mast

disgusting

I half mast mine on memorial day and the day my uncle was KIA // 19yrs old

regards

steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Thank you!

What do you have for a flag pole? 
I made one out of a white cedar tree, but I would like a real flag pole someday 

25' fiberglass. It's 25 years old and the gel coat has lost a bit of its gloss but still solid. Total length is about 30' as I think there's 4 or 5 feet in the ground. There's a slightly larger tube that gets set square and plumb in concrete then the pole slides in and sand is poured around the circumference to finish it but make it removable.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, New Englander said:

Fly your flags!

What is the e-mail alert address?

Over 50 years ago I was taking primary flight instruction. The instructor was veteran of the Berlin airlift and a little gruff but a great instructor. Anyway, he was giving me a simulated forced landing with an unexpected power chop. We were over New Hampshire at the time and he commented that it was easy to find the wind direction in NH as lots of folks fly flags, as opposed to MA where we originated. I still notice that's true.

Another thing I noticed while riding my old Norton on the back roads: If there's a flag flying and there's a political sign in the yard it's NEVER a democrat candidate! One I started noticing that I expanded my ride looking for an exception and found none.

I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed the same? Keep it simple, just a yes or no so this doesn't take a turn.

• Like 1