I've been using Hytran in my 300 Utility since i purchased it and changed all the fluids and repairs almost 5 years ago. I've added about 8 gallons over that period and am coming to the end of a 5 gallon bucket.  A leak from the hydraulic pump has gotten worse over time and I'll be reparing that in the spring but I'm not going to make it through plowing this winter without needing more then I have left. In the meantime is there any harm mixing the tractor supply premium fluid in with the hytran. I used that stuff briefly in my 350 before i began repairs on the power steering.  My nearest case dealer is now over an hour away.  

Thanks!

Should be ok

• Like 2

My issue is this. I've often thought of what your wanting to do. I'm out of hytran, I need a couple gallon and I keep yellow bucket around for certain jobs for instance. I just cant do it. I've already made the investment to buy the good oil, why mix in cheap oil? So I dont.  Having said that do what you have to. As for your actual question I cant say for sure. I suppose it beats running it low. I just like the smell of the hytran, that's why I buy it. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

In a modern powershift tractor you might have a problem.

In a 50s vintage 300 utility you'll be fine.

Just to be sure you can do a jar test. In a glass jar fill it 1/4 full with hytran from your tractor. Then add fluid X until the jar is 1/2 full. Shake it like your trying to make butter. Then hold it upright. If the oil is homogeneous all is good. If it has the consistency of cottage cheese it's bad.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 4

Well, I'm still not sure whether adding the Hytran is a good idea but I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. 

19 hours ago, mmi said:

do you even have a working ta?

arent they completely separate systems?

refill from yellow bucket

Yes, it does have a working T/a. 

12 hours ago, acem said:

In a modern powershift tractor you might have a problem.

In a 50s vintage 300 utility you'll be fine.

Just to be sure you can do a jar test. In a glass jar fill it 1/4 full with hytran from your tractor. Then add fluid X until the jar is 1/2 full. Shake it like your trying to make butter. Then hold it upright. If the oil is homogeneous all is good. If it has the consistency of cottage cheese it's bad.

Thx-Ace 

That's a great idea, at least it'll give me some confidence I'm not screwing things up. 

The real answer is, nobody knows for sure. Your best bet is the butter making method.

You should be relatively safe using the "Hytran compatible" premium hydraulic transmission fluid, but your mileage may very. Past results are not indicative of future outcomes. Batteries not included. Accessories sold separately. Subject to stock on hand... You get the idea.

In a 300 which has a simple gear pump hydraulic system and no wet clutches or hydrostats. So it's not really that important to have that $100 a bucket hytran especially if you're not sharing implements with modern tractors that do need the expensive stuff.

• Like 1

I’ve never seen Any oils curdle up when mixed. I keep barrels full of waste oil, sometimes I pump out 5-10g and give it to a neighbor for random purposes.   Old Hytran. Old 30w.  Toyota/Honda fluids...... it always comes out Smooth.   I have waste oil that looks cleaner than a lot of engine oil.  

Random two cents.

on a 300.....I wouldn’t think twice, mix away. . Actually.... I’d never even put Hytran in it to begin with. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Doug in NY said:

@Paul 300 U I seem to remember you living in the Adirondack region in NYS, Falls Farm and Garden in Hudson Falls might stock hy-tran and they might be closer to you than Salem would be.

Good memory Doug! Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:43 PM, Doug in NY said:

@Paul 300 U I seem to remember you living in the Adirondack region in NYS, Falls Farm and Garden in Hudson Falls might stock hy-tran and they might be closer to you than Salem would be.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:26 AM, Paul 300 U said:

Good memory Doug! Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. 

From where he is I would think that Middlebury (Champlain Valley Equipment) would be closer....

• Like 1