1466 ipto driven gear.... for experianced IH mechanics

fspring

ok got a friends 1466 in the shop. 

up to sn 14,999 they used part # 528 677 R1  58 teeth

sn 15,000-18131 they used gear # 67594C1  59 teeth

after sn 18231 they used part #  68511C1 59 teeth

is there any differance between the 67594c1 and the 68511C1 ??

the first # does not sub over to the 2nd number for some reason...

his gear is shot and hes having trouble finding another gear  67594C1

i do not see where they changed the ipto gear that meshs with this during this part # change.

Probably bevel of the gear is different. Had two different 1586 tore apart three winters ago and they both had same tooth count, but different numbers in gear. Held them together and they seemed to be the bevel of the gear was different.

• Like 1

I had my 966 apart and changed both gears to the early version to get the extra speed at the pto. Another advantage of doing this is you can leave out the spacer on the MCV valve. (Because the driven gear is smaller and the MCV pump needs to be closer to mesh properly.) there was a question of this being possible because there was some change made to the transmission housing. Mr Charlie at Charlie’s Repair helped me find the info and sold me the gears. Great guy to deal with.

The IH dealer put a clutch in Dad's 856 custom when I was in middle school.   They discovered when they started the tractor,  that they installed the wrong PTO gear.  Did not have the right one.  Memorial Day weekend and Dad needed it to disk ground ahead of the planter.  They provided him a 1586 free of charge for the weekend.   I disked all the corn stalk ground on both farms twice with that 1586 and a white 256 disk. Listened to a 3 hour salute to George Strait on the radio.  That tractor is the reason I own my 1486 today.   So much nicer than the year around cab on Dad's 856!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fspring said:

ok got a friends 1466 in the shop. 

up to sn 14,999 they used part # 528 677 R1  58 teeth

sn 15,000-18131 they used gear # 67594C1  59 teeth

after sn 18231 they used part #  68511C1 59 teeth

the first # does not sub over to the 2nd number for some reason...

his gear is shot and hes having trouble finding another gear  67594C1

i do not see where they changed the ipto gear that meshs with this during this part # change.

I think it has something to do with the bearing diameter

In a 66 I think it should be tooth count and bearing size changes, pressure angle/tooth pitch would have changed earlier in the 56 series. 

There is a big and small bearing version of both tooth counts I believe.

There is a heavy duty pto gear being made locally that is wider and out of better material I think too available as well that would be an option too. 

8 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The IH dealer put a clutch in Dad's 856 custom when I was in middle school.   They discovered when they started the tractor,  that they installed the wrong PTO gear.  Did not have the right one.  Memorial Day weekend and Dad needed it to disk ground ahead of the planter.  They provided him a 1586 free of charge for the weekend.   I disked all the corn stalk ground on both farms twice with that 1586 and a white 256 disk. Listened to a 3 hour salute to George Strait on the radio.  That tractor is the reason I own my 1486 today.   So much nicer than the year around cab on Dad's 856!

I put a clutch and I pto shaft in a standard 856. Got the wrong one from ihc dealer same teeth but wrong pitch. 2 days later I put a driven gear in it. Just the little bit of interference broke a tooth. That is when I learned to roll them together. The gears will growl by hand if wrong. 

I think the angle of the teeth are 20 degree on one and 25 degree on the other as we installed the incorrect one once, it made a terrible roaring, when removed and rolled against the other gear by hand you could feel in bind while the other option rolled freely 

20 hours ago, fspring said:

Bearing size is different

G15215 CAS BEARING ASSY, PTO driven shaft front cone, used only with gears, 528677R1, 67594C1 & 68512C1 Superseded by part number: 86512027

533729R91  IH ASSY, PTO driven shaft front cone, used w/gear, 68511C1 Superseded by part number: 199954

21 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

In a 66 I think it should be tooth count and bearing size changes, pressure angle/tooth pitch would have changed earlier in the 56 series. 

There is a big and small bearing version of both tooth counts I believe.

There is a heavy duty pto gear being made locally that is wider and out of better material I think too available as well that would be an option too. 

that would be correct, 4 different gears,  Usually the smaller bearing gives the most trouble and the 59 tooth seems to be more vulnerable

good part is the local after market is available in all four configurations.  and it is a strong gear that will stand up to a beating!!  Every other after market gear  we have seen for that position has been soft and won't last long!

ed

11 hours ago, jd4440 said:

Bearing size is different

G15215 CAS BEARING ASSY, PTO driven shaft front cone, used only with gears, 528677R1, 67594C1 & 68512C1 Superseded by part number: 86512027

533729R91  IH ASSY, PTO driven shaft front cone, used w/gear, 68511C1 Superseded by part number: 199954

I believe the 5 digit gears have the big bearing,  the rest are the smaller diameter