The Randy Sohn memorial airplane thread

Steve C.

20 hours ago, New Englander said:

Any idea where that is? I was under the impression they were all broken up.

The article didn't say. One the original 12, article said that the US Navy got 4, the USMC got 3 and the Dutch airline KLM got 5. The Navy and Marine Corp planes were lost in accidents during the war. Four of the KLM DC-5's were returned to airline service and one sold to William Boeing after the war.

7 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'know Cubs are slow but this is ridiculous.'

I started flying in Cubs. The eye opening revelation was watching the interstate traffic going faster.

Had a bug on the jet's windshield, a big bug, that I figured would blow off on the runway, nope, speed limit in the traffic pattern is 200 knots or 230 MPH. It hung in there, clinging to nothing until we started accelerating to 250. Amazing sticky feet!

Likely photoshopped as the pigeon would have its feathers ruffled sitting sideways but not far from the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a plane I was only vaguely aware of:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Chrysler's biggest hemi....10 feet long, 16 cylinders and 2220 cubic inches, rated at 2500 hp. The XI2220 was first developed in 1940. Gear reduction gearbox and engine mounts were in the middle of the engine for torque and vibration control. Later tested in a XP-47.

image.png.c3ffabc4865f7a443d2d98c4e070f2cb.png

image.png.6cec0a2ce715d7500936c8ea9f6db0d4.png

10 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Chrysler's biggest hemi....10 feet long, 16 cylinders and 2220 cubic inches, rated at 2500 hp. The XI2220 was first developed in 1940. Gear reduction gearbox and engine mounts were in the middle of the engine for torque and vibration control. Later tested in a XP-47.

image.png.c3ffabc4865f7a443d2d98c4e070f2cb.png

image.png.6cec0a2ce715d7500936c8ea9f6db0d4.png

• Like 1

Turn it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aircraft Carrier Crash Lowlights

Part of appreciating how much skill it takes to do it right is to see what happens when it goes wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

The bloke who seems to hold the record for carrier landings - and lived

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

Wow.  A test pilot who lived to be 97.  And took off from a carrier 136 times more than he landed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Wow.  A test pilot who lived to be 97.  And took off from a carrier 136 times more than he landed.

I guess you have to allow for "on-site modifications" in that business

On 3/21/2022 at 7:59 PM, Steve C. said:

Looks like the passengers had an unobstructed view for sure.

What the what??? Lol… I’ve never heard of a DC-5 either. Doesn’t look like a good design for an emergency belly landing in water. Looks like you could be under water real quick due to that high wing. 

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

What the what??? Lol… I’ve never heard of a DC-5 either. Doesn’t look like a good design for an emergency belly landing in water. Looks like you could be under water real quick due to that high wing. 

The first mention I ever saw was in a pre-WW2 magazine of the "Popular Mechanics" flavour that I inherited way back in BC.  I might even have a copy still - somewhere.

Like the Fokker Friendships a very good aeroplane for tourist viewing.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, Ian Beale said:

The first mention I ever saw was in a pre-WW2 magazine of the "Popular Mechanics" flavour that I inherited way back in BC.  I might even have a copy still - somewhere.

I absolutely love old magazines.

9 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Leland Snow's S-2A built in 1959, the first model of plane built in the AirTractor factory in Olney, Texas. l hope this link works,l'm still learning how to use Windows 10.

https://fb.watch/dH7vXsyN8H/

Another ag plane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk

A story that I heard around that one - a crew of three of different European origin and "new to Australia and the English language" were panel beating dimples out of the steel hopper for one using panel hammers and oxy heat.  The whole job involved communication with three words of English - "hit", "hot" and "hurt".

7 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Leland Snow's S-2A built in 1959, the first model of plane built in the AirTractor factory in Olney, Texas. l hope this link works,l'm still learning how to use Windows 10.

https://fb.watch/dH7vXsyN8H/

Link works great - thanks

• Thanks 1

Just about mowing the grass...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Just about mowing the grass..

Those were scenes from the  movie "The War Lover" starring Steve McQueen. McQueen's character in the movie was angry because he was part of a group of planes that was sent over France to drop leaflets instead of bombs. Reason l know this? l saw the whole movie on TV just last week....lol. Actually not a very good movie. "12 O'Clock High" is a lot better movie.

A few more unusuals here

"Weekend Wings #31: The Last of the Big Bangers"

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2009/01/weekend-wings-31-last-of-big-bangers.html

He has a lot more posts on aircraft too - and firearms

Start from https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

and follow the listing down the RHS past the books

And a pretty good listing of memes for the week.

I don't get a spotter's fee!

• Thanks 1

Neat 5 minute video on the tail gunner's position on a B-17:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...