Jump to content

The Randy Sohn memorial airplane thread


Steve C.
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, New Englander said:

Any idea where that is? I was under the impression they were all broken up.

The article didn't say. One the original 12, article said that the US Navy got 4, the USMC got 3 and the Dutch airline KLM got 5. The Navy and Marine Corp planes were lost in accidents during the war. Four of the KLM DC-5's were returned to airline service and one sold to William Boeing after the war.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'know Cubs are slow but this is ridiculous.'

I started flying in Cubs. The eye opening revelation was watching the interstate traffic going faster.

Had a bug on the jet's windshield, a big bug, that I figured would blow off on the runway, nope, speed limit in the traffic pattern is 200 knots or 230 MPH. It hung in there, clinging to nothing until we started accelerating to 250. Amazing sticky feet!

Likely photoshopped as the pigeon would have its feathers ruffled sitting sideways but not far from the truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a plane I was only vaguely aware of:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Chrysler's biggest hemi....10 feet long, 16 cylinders and 2220 cubic inches, rated at 2500 hp. The XI2220 was first developed in 1940. Gear reduction gearbox and engine mounts were in the middle of the engine for torque and vibration control. Later tested in a XP-47.

image.png.c3ffabc4865f7a443d2d98c4e070f2cb.png

image.png.6cec0a2ce715d7500936c8ea9f6db0d4.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Chrysler's biggest hemi....10 feet long, 16 cylinders and 2220 cubic inches, rated at 2500 hp. The XI2220 was first developed in 1940. Gear reduction gearbox and engine mounts were in the middle of the engine for torque and vibration control. Later tested in a XP-47.

image.png.c3ffabc4865f7a443d2d98c4e070f2cb.png

image.png.6cec0a2ce715d7500936c8ea9f6db0d4.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Turn it up.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Aircraft Carrier Crash Lowlights

Part of appreciating how much skill it takes to do it right is to see what happens when it goes wrong.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

The bloke who seems to hold the record for carrier landings - and lived

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

Wow.  A test pilot who lived to be 97.  And took off from a carrier 136 times more than he landed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Wow.  A test pilot who lived to be 97.  And took off from a carrier 136 times more than he landed.

I guess you have to allow for "on-site modifications" in that business

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 7:59 PM, Steve C. said:

Looks like the passengers had an unobstructed view for sure.

What the what??? Lol… I’ve never heard of a DC-5 either. Doesn’t look like a good design for an emergency belly landing in water. Looks like you could be under water real quick due to that high wing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

What the what??? Lol… I’ve never heard of a DC-5 either. Doesn’t look like a good design for an emergency belly landing in water. Looks like you could be under water real quick due to that high wing. 

The first mention I ever saw was in a pre-WW2 magazine of the "Popular Mechanics" flavour that I inherited way back in BC.  I might even have a copy still - somewhere.

Like the Fokker Friendships a very good aeroplane for tourist viewing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, Ian Beale said:

The first mention I ever saw was in a pre-WW2 magazine of the "Popular Mechanics" flavour that I inherited way back in BC.  I might even have a copy still - somewhere.

I absolutely love old magazines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Leland Snow's S-2A built in 1959, the first model of plane built in the AirTractor factory in Olney, Texas. l hope this link works,l'm still learning how to use Windows 10.

https://fb.watch/dH7vXsyN8H/

Another ag plane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk

A story that I heard around that one - a crew of three of different European origin and "new to Australia and the English language" were panel beating dimples out of the steel hopper for one using panel hammers and oxy heat.  The whole job involved communication with three words of English - "hit", "hot" and "hurt".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Leland Snow's S-2A built in 1959, the first model of plane built in the AirTractor factory in Olney, Texas. l hope this link works,l'm still learning how to use Windows 10.

https://fb.watch/dH7vXsyN8H/

Link works great - thanks

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just about mowing the grass...

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Just about mowing the grass..

Those were scenes from the  movie "The War Lover" starring Steve McQueen. McQueen's character in the movie was angry because he was part of a group of planes that was sent over France to drop leaflets instead of bombs. Reason l know this? l saw the whole movie on TV just last week....lol. Actually not a very good movie. "12 O'Clock High" is a lot better movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few more unusuals here

"Weekend Wings #31: The Last of the Big Bangers"

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2009/01/weekend-wings-31-last-of-big-bangers.html

He has a lot more posts on aircraft too - and firearms

Start from https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

and follow the listing down the RHS past the books

And a pretty good listing of memes for the week.

I don't get a spotter's fee!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neat 5 minute video on the tail gunner's position on a B-17:
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...