The Randy Sohn memorial airplane thread

Steve C.

Another seaplane.  Kind of fascinating to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

l have maybe close to 20 hours (not logged) riding in a AT-6. lt was very difficult to try and talk and be heard over all the noise, even with the intercom system. Usually just said what needed to be said before takeoff and after landing.

So my question for you guys that have been fortunate enough to get rides in something like a B-17 or even Fifi or Doc. ls any kind of conversation possible without intercoms with all the wind and engine noise?

5 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

l have maybe close to 20 hours (not logged) riding in a AT-6. lt was very difficult to try and talk and be heard over all the noise, even with the intercom system. Usually just said what needed to be said before takeoff and after landing.

So my question for you guys that have been fortunate enough to get rides in something like a B-17 or even Fifi or Doc. ls any kind of conversation possible without intercoms with all the wind and engine noise?

Our accountant used to fly twin engine planes a lot (ferried civilian prisoners), and got to take the yoke for a while in the Aluminum Overcast (B17) when it was in the St. Louis area for an air show.  I don't remember what he paid for the privilege, but when I asked him what it was like, he just said LOUD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just saw this in a military aviation newsletter about B-52's doing low level flight training. Said sometimes they fly 50 feet or less above the ocean. Said one B-52 pilot asked permission to do a low level fly by of the Navy's carrier USS Ranger. carrier's Air Boss said "Permission granted."

B-52 pilot said "Roger, we are 5 miles out from you".

Ranger replied "We do not have a visual"

B-52 pilot replied "Look down."

USS-Ranger-B-52.jpg

B-52-low-level-fly-by.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still more "new" triple A footage from the Enterprise and Hornet.  Amazing work on the part of damage control parties after bomb hits.  Great detail.  Hard to imagine how they managed to do it.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, twostepn2001 said:

I’ve had 3 rides in B17’s and one in a B25. B25 was the loudest, conversation in the waist area was about impossible and ear muffs a must! 30193152-F52C-4E83-99FB-7C172640EFAE.thumb.jpeg.6415f107f4cd9dfcabe8b6f346a38ab6.jpeg

12 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Still more "new" triple A footage from the Enterprise and Hornet.  Amazing work on the part of damage control parties after bomb hits.  Great detail.  Hard to imagine how they managed to do it.

I don't know why the video above is age restricted, but I couldn't link to it from my post.  I don't have a ewetube account, but if you do you should be able to watch it.  If you don't, just search ewetube for USS Enterprise to find several amazing videos.

I have no idea why I was able to watch it last night.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:38 AM, twostepn2001 said:

Just saw this in a military aviation newsletter about B-52's doing low level flight training. Said sometimes they fly 50 feet or less above the ocean. Said one B-52 pilot asked permission to do a low level fly by of the Navy's carrier USS Ranger. carrier's Air Boss said "Permission granted."

B-52 pilot said "Roger, we are 5 miles out from you".

Ranger replied "We do not have a visual"

B-52 pilot replied "Look down."

USS-Ranger-B-52.jpg

B-52-low-level-fly-by.jpg

One helluva shot, would have been amazing from the flight deck!

Here's some candy for the eyes, and the ears.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, TomH said:

Remember to let go of the rope!

Russian soldiers manually starting engine.

74DD76C9-7F10-4075-9928-3EA86AD1ABBF.thumb.jpeg.bd22ec56fc3f21fc74ced9b81740be21.jpeg

Bungee starting. USN and others used it as it could flip the prop faster than a human especially as engines became larger and before electric starting. Hand cranked inertial starters were also common but if you've ever cranked one they're a b'tch.

bungee-starting(1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, twostepn2001 said:

I went up in Fifi.   The noise level was definitely higher than say a commercial jetliner, but not unbearably so.  Sooner or later I'm going to pony up for a ride in maybe a 17 or 25 too.    My biggest takeaway was actually this: the ambient temperature was about 101 degrees F the day of my flight.   Until we got moving and had some air flow, it was freaking hot in that aluminum tube.  It gave me a whole different level of appreciation for the guys who operated bombers from tropical islands with combat gear and no creature comforts.  

Topturret-1.JPGTailguns-1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like planes, especially the experimental. There is a EAA chapter at our little local airport. Bring em on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

l never heard of a Douglas DC-5 until l saw this. Only 12 were ever built and only one survives today they said. l think it's a pretty neat looking airplane. One thing thought was odd that William Boeing of Boeing Aircraft bought one and converted it into his personal transport plane. You would think he would've converted a B-17 or something.....

1-DAC-12436-DC-5-NC21701-Boeing-Co.-1-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1405&ssl=1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:58 AM, Steve C. said:

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while.  Age restriction on WWII footage but not on totally inappropriate vulgar subjects.  Wow.

8 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

l never heard of a Douglas DC-5 until l saw this. Only 12 were ever built and only one survives today they said. l think it's a pretty neat looking airplane. One thing thought was odd that William Boeing of Boeing Aircraft bought one and converted it into his personal transport plane. You would think he would've converted a B-17 or something.....

1-DAC-12436-DC-5-NC21701-Boeing-Co.-1-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1405&ssl=1

Looks like the passengers had an unobstructed view for sure.

20 hours ago, New Englander said:

Any idea where that is? I was under the impression they were all broken up.

The article didn't say. One the original 12, article said that the US Navy got 4, the USMC got 3 and the Dutch airline KLM got 5. The Navy and Marine Corp planes were lost in accidents during the war. Four of the KLM DC-5's were returned to airline service and one sold to William Boeing after the war.

7 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'know Cubs are slow but this is ridiculous.'

I started flying in Cubs. The eye opening revelation was watching the interstate traffic going faster.

Had a bug on the jet's windshield, a big bug, that I figured would blow off on the runway, nope, speed limit in the traffic pattern is 200 knots or 230 MPH. It hung in there, clinging to nothing until we started accelerating to 250. Amazing sticky feet!

Likely photoshopped as the pigeon would have its feathers ruffled sitting sideways but not far from the truth.