The Randy Sohn memorial airplane thread

Steve C.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:48 PM, twostepn2001 said:

Don't know if Randy ever flew one of these but l bet he knew about them. Stewart 3/4 scale V-8 powered S-51. Most are powered by Chevy 509ci engines but also available with Ford 460ci engines. Sounds almost as sexy as a real P-51.

V8 Powered Stewart S-51 Mustang T51D Display Tyabb Airshow 2016 - YouTube

That's a cool plane right there.

This is a bit of a time commitment, but if any of you want to sit down with about six cold adult beverages for a while....  This is the best original color footage of an ETO bomber base that I've ever seen.  It's completely amateur but it rivals or in some ways surpasses Ford's footage used in the original Memphis Belle film.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMLC1_qqgU8

7 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

This is a bit of a time commitment, but if any of you want to sit down with about six cold adult beverages for a while....  This is the best original color footage of an ETO bomber base that I've ever seen.  It's completely amateur but it rivals or in some ways surpasses Ford's footage used in the original Memphis Belle film.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMLC1_qqgU8

Six adult cold beverages and I'll miss the last half. ?

This isn't any longer than lots of crap movies out of hollyweird, and infinitely better.  Thanks

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing here but I'd guess Randy would have allowed aircraft history?

Salmson (France) showed that the radial engine was a serious contender as an aircraft engine.  Their first ones were water cooled, later ones air cooled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmson_water-cooled_aero-engines

Check out the design of the Canton-Une connecting rod system that did not use a master rod in the diagram here

https://oldmachinepress.com/2014/01/12/nordberg-stationary-radial-engine/

Air cooled here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmson_air-cooled_aero-engines

• Thanks 1

l was prowling around on the internet and found this little story about a Navy pilot.  We know that Randy had a sense of humor and l bet he had a lot stories like this to tell.

An F-14 suffered a landing gear failure while landing, and as the plane was skidding down the tarmac in a shower of smoke and sparks, the tower controller asked if they needed assistance. From the Tomcat came a laconic voice that crackled over the radio frequency...
"Dunno - we ain't done crashin' yet."
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Those darned Eye-talians.  The same people who design and build Ferraris.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Those darned Eye-talians.  The same people who design and build Ferraris.

Kind of reminds me of when l was flying R/C planes years ago. There was some guys flying "ducted fan" powered planes. They were used mostly to power model jet aircraft. l think now days they have actual scale model jet engines.

• 3 weeks later...

And this is the XB39. The Spirit of Lincoln B29 with Allison liquid cooled engines.

Boeing XB-39 41-36954 2

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:48 AM, twostepn2001 said:

Don't know if Randy ever flew one of these but l bet he knew about them. Stewart 3/4 scale V-8 powered S-51. Most are powered by Chevy 509ci engines but also available with Ford 460ci engines. Sounds almost as sexy as a real P-51.

V8 Powered Stewart S-51 Mustang T51D Display Tyabb Airshow 2016 - YouTube

Elliot Seguin is a test pilot for hire and has an interesting youtube channel. After the flight, he debriefs and takes us along for the ride. He is constantly examining his own thinking and reactions. This P-51 3/4 scale did not fare so well. I believe it was also a Stewart built aircraft.

7-3-21 On edit, the plane in this video is a Titan powered by an LS1 Chevy motor. Plane has 140 hours total prior to this incident.

I bet Randy would have liked this for a ride! P40 Roadhawk!  I bet everyone would let you pass.?

DBB4C60F-9EB0-4F4F-A695-69D3DF2A6887.thumb.jpeg.a48eddfbe268d0a3941f73947963bfba.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

l never heard of a B-54 until l was looking online for something else. A B-50 was supposed to be a bigger and better version of the B-29. Well, supposedly the B-54 was supposed to be a bigger and better version of the B-50. Boeing had a contract to build 11 B-54's but then General Curtis LeMay abruptly cancelled in favor of the Convair B-36.

THe B-54 had a 11 foot longer fuselage and almost 20 foot wider wingspan than a B-50. And since it was designed to carry only one bomb (nuclear), it also carried a auxiliary fuel tank in the bomb bay.

B-54-revised.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

A B-50 was supposed to be a bigger and better version of the B-29.

There's a B50 at the Castle air museum. On first glance it looks like a B29 until you notice the huge nacelles for the R4360 engines.

B50s served long after all the B29s were retired. I believe several hundred B50s were built, first as a nuclear bomber then some converted to tankers. 

Here's a big ole plane that I wasn't aware of.

There is a three part series on the Spitfire on this site.   This is Part 3, with links to the first two:-

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2008/03/weekend-wings-13-spitfire-legend-lives.html

Including this bit on a couple of unusual records

"It should also be noted that the Spitfire achieved the highest speed ever attained by a propeller-driven aircraft. In high-speed diving trials conducted at Farnborough in England during late 1943 and 1944 a Spitfire Mark XI achieved a true air speed of 606 mph. Another Spitfire, a Mark XIX, reached an altitude of 51,550 feet in 1951, which is reportedly the highest altitude ever attained by a single-engined propeller-driven aircraft. In descending, this aircraft entered an uncontrollable dive during which it is calculated that a true air speed of no less than 690 mph was achieved. The aircraft landed safely. The Spitfire's ability to achieve such speeds in a dive was due to its wing, which had a Mach limiting number of 0.9 - the highest of any Allied aircraft in World War II."

UPDATE

It has been brought to my attention that the single engine height is held by a Caproni ca 161 at just over 56,000 feet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.161

Next Update

And the sailplane record is about 76,000 feet

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Diesel Doctor for bringing this to my attention..........

Kinda wonder how today's snowflakes would handle this...................

You may have to do a rewind to get it to play right...(It starts at the end) ???

Mike

• Thanks 1