2072 Rockshaft bushing loose in frame.

Here's a new one.....2072 with Haban blade.  Broke the welds on the rockshaft bushing.  Noticed rockshaft was super sloppy beside my right foot when moving snow Saturday.   I'm sure the Haban blade I've been using on it for over 10 years is hard on it...but........what a bad place to try and fix......buried under hyd. Cylinder linkage.  You'd have thought they would have used more than 2ea. Baby tack welds on those....

And.....yup, rockshaft is rusted up tight on this one too.....no simple drive out the shaft and weld it up with everything removed.

I've got some ideas,  but what a PITA this ones gonna be!

Oh well.....needed something to fix.....

• Haha 1

Well now if you needed something to fix.... I have a list going here Steve, come on over!  The beer is cold in the fridge!!

Pretty sure I'm gonna agree with you.  There is like NO room in there to work.  I bet you'll curse a few times getting that torn down enough to "properly" weld it.  Sad actually that they didn't do a better job on those small areas.  Then again, maybe they thought the same thing - frig, this is a crap place to work - guess a couple tacks will do the job!?

Edited by Mountain Heritage

Oh yeah, we want PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be easy before it was all put together!

Kicker here is that the "float" in the rockshaft is frozen up, so not easy,  if not impossible to take apart without destroying stuff.

If i can't get in to weld it, I have a couple ideas.....

• Haha 1

So bushing didn't break loose.  Shaft and bushing are just grinding pn each other like no tomorrow.....lots of slop/play.

Might be harder to fix if I can't get the rockshaft apart.

Oh well....may wait till spring at this point...damage is already done....

450 snowblower did the same thing to mine.   Was going to remove the bushing but decide I didn't have time  so I welded it up.  I put a different shaft in and made it so I can grease the bushing now so it shouldn't happen again.

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

• Like 1

Nice pics and yup, that's exactly where I'm at with it!!!

Push design of these lifts 2x the force on the back of those shafts.......not the best design, that's for sure!

I was going to do the same thing with the grease zerk and a little 1/8" cross hole to lube it all up.

Mine already has broken the plate off the end of the shaft 2x.  Once from previous owner (bad fix), and once about 7 years ago on a 15 deg night while moving snow at the neighbors......never happens in front of the garage!!!

How bad did yours come apart?

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

bellcrank 3.JPG

bellcrank fixed.JPG

• Like 1

I was lucky, mine didn't come apart that hard.  Put a smaller shaft on the other end and pounded it through.  It took some pounding but I have had a lot worse.  One was the cross shaft on the internal brake of my 782.  That has a zerk as well now.  If someone else ever works on it they will probably scratch their head why that zerk is there ?  

I was going to cut the bushing out with the plasma but decided against it.  Like you said, I just couldn't get in there good enough without tearing everything apart.  I got the bushing back pretty good by building it up with welding and grinding it back down a few times.

I was surprised on how much lift I got back on the blower after it was fixed.  

Good luck on your repair.

• Like 1

Dug into it some today, just to see how bad it was.  Shaft is bad, probably 1/3 gone.   I was able to get the float linkage to move with some hyd power and wood blocks....this is a good sign.   Also got the roll pins to move.

Bought 2 feet of 1" CRS for a new shaft.  I will have to take it all apart this spring.  Will use a 3pt bushing for a new frame bushing and will probably make it stick out an extra 3/4" or so for more bearing surface and easier welding. 

Will get a grease galley like RedToyMan above......may extend it to float bushing too.

Work for this spring.  For now its loaded up with spray grease to minimize further wear (don't need shaft breaking before end if winter!)

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Well, that didn't go well.....had to cut it out.....

20210528_124532.jpg

20210528_124523.jpg

20210528_124447.jpg

20210528_124556.jpg

• Sad 2

The bushing in the frame isn't serviceable itself is it?

I had to cut the shaft out of an 1811 I parted about 6 weeks ago.  Could get the shaft to slide maybe 3/4 of an inch.

It isn't, but it's going to be.  It's all wallowed out, so it will get cut out and replaced (new one welded back in).

That's a project for another day, by the time I got this all apart (and fixed the rear splined drive coupler that was almost gone) I'm not up for starting phase 2.

MTD fixed the weak lift tugs of the xx8/9 and Quiet Lines with that heavy tube.....but man does it kill serviceability when the float linkage seizes up!

Old/new coupler...only $155 worth of wear!

20210528_132304.jpg

20210528_173130.jpg

• Like 1

I had to replace mine on the 982 a couple years ago.  Frig'n things ain't cheap!

But they make a huge difference in how smooth the driveline runs!

• Like 1

Winning!  Drilled wallowed out frame bushing for new steel sleeve.  Cleaned up bracket bores, cut off and drilled worn pins, drilled rockshaft for zerk, cut out old weld on right side "push" bracket, then mocked it all up.

If all goes well it will get welded tomorrow. 20210605_101011.thumb.jpg.c655aa267cef694f673d11015e8325ac.jpg

20210605_110810.jpg

20210605_101852.jpg

20210605_101956.jpg

20210605_093525.jpg

20210605_094017.jpg

20210605_094048.jpg

• Like 2

Used a 1-3/8" "large" size Unibit with the 1-3/8" step removed to create a poor man's stepped 1" × 1-1/8" x 1-1/4" reamer.  Also had to make a 1/2 extension using an old drill chuck (Unibit was 1/2" with flats) to clear foot rest bracket. 

Worked better than I expected!

20210605_093530.jpg

20210605_093537.jpg

• Like 3

Dang that’s got wear on it Steve!   How many hours on it??   Looks like a very good repair job you are doing to it

Tractor has a lot, but engine it it only had about 700.

Haban blade on the front is what does it, forces all the wear on the back of the bushing/shaft.  Push to lift is a dumb design, but, oh well........

Hope to get some welding in on it tomorrow evening.

• Sad 1

Nice job Steve!!  Looks good 👍 

Thanks, got out the Haban 60" and mowed the lawn with it this evening.   Nice to have full float back!

Man is that deck a PITA to install....tank, but cumbersome.   They mow ok, but I think the GT54 does a better job overall. 

20210610_193126.jpg

20210610_193113.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a beast with that deck on it.

I'm sure it would be a bear to install, about as much fun as installing a 450 blower. 🙃🤬

How DO you install that? Jack up the front and slide it under? 

Question did cub make any drive over decks? Like the 54 is it a drive over to install? Been gona research or ask about that for a while.

GT54 is NOT drive over....it also takes a jack on std GTs pre 1864.

The Haban 60 shown is a drive over,  but it works best with the gauge wheels off to drive over it.

I use a jack under the front sub frame and lift it WAY UP then slide it under.......its a brute of a deck.

Seems like the drive over concept is also best for FWA tractors......getting it started over the deck on anything but dirt/grass is an exercise in sliding.  Kinda like seating or "popping loose" a 2250 IH loader on concrete.......it works better with a lip or ledge to push against 

• Thanks 1