Bringing back old paint

Dmnstr8r

These hoods started in poor shape, having sat on a stuck tractor outside for 8 plus years near a bunch of pine trees in northern Minnesota.  I am not a paint or body guy, and spent quite a few hours buffing by hand to get the big pieces, and then followed up with a buffing wheel to finish them up.  I don't know that I can push them much further, as I don't want to burn through the paint.  They will end up back on the '69 1456 they were pulled from.

After all this, I was curious what you folks use as far as products or methods to bring old paint back.  I'd like to think there is an easier way, or maybe something that cuts through tarnish better than my $3 tin of Old No 7.  I'll probably keep them the way they sit now and chalk the rest up to "patina," along with all the dents that remain, but hope to learn more for the next set i need to rework.

20210110_110332.jpg

20210110_140721.jpg

20210118_172752.jpg

20210118_172849.jpg

20210118_172923.jpg

20210118_172935.jpg

• Like 11

Looking at your before pictures especially the first one I would have said that there wasn't a lick of red left on that hood. What you've achieved is impressive, nothing short of a miracle.

Unfortunately my own experience with paint restoration also involves a can of "Old No.7" rubbing compound, but when I saw your results I just had to commend you on your efforts!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Looking at your before pictures especially the first one I would have said that there wasn't a lick of red left on that hood. What you've achieved is impressive, nothing short of a miracle.

Unfortunately my own experience with paint restoration also involves a can of "Old No.7" rubbing compound, but when I saw your results I just had to commend you on your efforts!

+1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Are these the hoods off of #15??

Yeah, they are.  These (and the rest of the tractor) will never look as nice as #20!.  Been thinking about you and trying to keep everything somewhat original.  Working on these while the tractor is torn down for some rear end work and rewiring to avoid a future shed fire.  

22 hours ago, Dmnstr8r said:

Yeah, they are.  These (and the rest of the tractor) will never look as nice as #20!.  Been thinking about you and trying to keep everything somewhat original.  Working on these while the tractor is torn down for some rear end work and rewiring to avoid a future shed fire.  

#20 is nice, but if you get up close, it’s not so perfect, the paint has cracks, pressure cracks maybe?? I tried to buff it out, that was a no no!! So I’m nervous to try anything else on it for fear I make it worse!! 

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I have had tremendous luck with Maguire's (sp?) Polish and a high speed buffer. It takes quite a bit to burn through the paint as long as you stay moving. 

I used their "Cleaner wax" on this after a light wet sanding.  Paint was very very faded before.

To the O.P., nice job!  Can't replicate patina, they're only original once!

20190317_155314.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

I used their "Cleaner wax" on this after a light wet sanding.  Paint was very very faded before.

To the O.P., nice job!  Can't replicate patina, they're only original once!

20190317_155314.jpg

Beautiful truck!  I am not sure I am ready to wet sand, but have had good luck with Meguiars on my vehicles as well.  May pick up some polish and see what that will do with the buffing wheel.  I appreciate the ideas and feedback!