5288 Hydraulic Lever ?

codyrob94

I've got an early 5288 that I bought this spring and I'm finally getting around to fixing some things up a little bit.  What does everyone do for parts to get the linkage in the hydraulic levers good and tight?  I think most of it is in the pieces under the cab above the valves.

Rebuild them.  Some of the parts are still available.  Some are expensive.  Buy new parts, make new ones, weld up, re-machine.... whatever it takes.

8 hours ago, codyrob94 said:

I've got an early 5288 that I bought this spring and I'm finally getting around to fixing some things up a little bit.  What does everyone do for parts to get the linkage in the hydraulic levers good and tight?  I think most of it is in the pieces under the cab above the valves.

The flat plate with the two holes that connects the linkage to the hydraulic valve is a good place to start, those holes usually start to egg out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Rebuild them.  Some of the parts are still available.  Some are expensive.  Buy new parts, make new ones, weld up, re-machine.... whatever it takes.

Some are expensive? I would say all are expensive. That little flat plate with 2 holes in it, $32 a piece, The little shoulder bolt that goes in one of the holes in the flat link, $35 a piece. And those are the low dollar pieces of the linkage, it's crazy. That little flat plate looks simple enough to make but the thing guys need to remember is all those parts are hardened. You can't just make a plate and install it, well you can but it won't be long and it'll be as bad or worse than what you started with. If you decide to make them, make sure you harden the plate after it's made. 

2 hours ago, TB5288 said:

Some are expensive? I would say all are expensive. That little flat plate with 2 holes in it, $32 a piece, The little shoulder bolt that goes in one of the holes in the flat link, $35 a piece. And those are the low dollar pieces of the linkage, it's crazy. 

It's only money.  Takes money to fix things.  Even if it costs a few hundred dollars, it's cheap compared to replacing a tractor.  

I made those links out of just a hair thicker metal and there was another pin I know I used metric dowel pin With threads it's been 2yrs 

• Like 1