IH plow question

Check about half way down the first page.  Couple guys were nice enough to share some original sales literature on these plows with me over the last couple days. 

Per IH literature the #60 came with rigid or trip beams in "4-furrow reducible to 3, 3-furrow, 3-furrow reducible to 2, and 2-furrow sizes".  The #70 was "Available with trip or rigid beam (trip only for the 6-bottom), in 6-furrow reducible to 5, 5-furrow reducible to 4, 4-furrow reducible to 3, 4-furrow, and 3-furrow sizes.  Six bottom has full-castering rear wheel.)  The literature mentions 10 inch deep plowing with the #60 and 12 inch deep plowing with the #70.  The brochure mentions 12, 14, and 16 inch bottom availability.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

770 was 5 or 6

700 was 7,8,9

20210118_223842.jpg

20210118_223832.jpg

the 700 available as a 7-8 or 9 is false....i had a 700 5x16 trailer with auto resets and onland hitch....and no it wasn't cut down or made to remove bottoms

2 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

the 700 available as a 7-8 or 9 is false....i had a 700 5x16 trailer with auto resets and onland hitch....and no it wasn't cut down or made to remove bottoms

I stand corrected.

I found another piece of early 700 plow literature that shows the smaller sizes, presumably before the 770 was released 

20210119_080249.jpg

20210119_080217.jpg

On 1/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, nate said:

Thanks for the info.   Saw a 7 bottom #70 advertised and thought that was pretty odd 

Any pictures with the ad?

These plows are modular so it would not be out of the realm for someone to have pieced together a 7-bottom using parts from multiple plows.

I would really love to find an add-a-bottom for one of my #60s to turn it into a 4-bottom. Also more information on that multiple plow hitch so I could run both my #60s behind my 1586.

I have the squadron hitch literature somewhere.....I'll look.

6 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I have the squadron hitch literature somewhere.....I'll look.

That would be awesome. Of course it'll end up being pretty costly because I'll need to buy a carport... Why? Because right now my #60 plows are buried in the back of Dad's equipment barn and once they come out they're not going back.

I looked for it, but can't find it.  Saw it at the national toy show 2 years ago and swore I bought it.....maybe not.......I'll keep digging.....

One if the Farmington Implement videos has a good view of 2ea 5 bottom 70 plows in a squadron hitch behind a 4366 in the Palouse.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I looked for it, but can't find it.  Saw it at the national toy show 2 years ago and swore I bought it.....maybe not.......I'll keep digging.....

One if the Farmington Implement videos has a good view of 2ea 5 bottom 70 plows in a squadron hitch behind a 4366 in the Palouse.

I was told that Farmington #14 video has a good long clip of the 60 & 70 plows behind 40/60 series tractors. I do not have the video to know for sure. 

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Any pictures with the ad?

These plows are modular so it would not be out of the realm for someone to have pieced together a 7-bottom using parts from multiple plows.

I would really love to find an add-a-bottom for one of my #60s to turn it into a 4-bottom. Also more information on that multiple plow hitch so I could run both my #60s behind my 1586.

Real crappy pic in ad

DACD6423-6C35-4007-98AB-19AD55112907.png

1 hour ago, nate said:

Real crappy pic in ad

They never made a high enough hp tractor in that time frame to pull 7 bottoms around here.  That is interesting. I wouldn’t think there were too many like that around?  

With rolling terrain things worked better with the squadron hitches. Two smaller implements rather than the strain of bigger pieces flexing that break after time with a wider implement. The hitch itself has to have more engineering to keep the multiple pieces spaced right. But past that challenge less other trouble. Not many plows ever used but squadron hitches on the ones I have seen in the sidehill grain country here.    

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was told that Farmington #14 video has a good long clip of the 60 & 70 plows behind 40/60 series tractors. I do not have the video to know for sure. 

It does.....nice long segment on them....watched it last night!

Nothing i have in my literature collection ever mentions a 7 bottom 70.....

Farmington Implement video is

"American champions of the furrow, New 60 and 70 moldboard plows "  and is 18 min long.

15 hours ago, nate said:

Real crappy pic in ad

The hitch isn't like any #70 I've seen, but the framework and mechanisms are very reminiscent of a #70.

I'd have to say it's a custom plow. Something looks fishy around the top beam between the 6th and 7th bottoms.

If the price was reasonable, I'd add it to my collection.

Interesting that my 1960 Farmer's Catalogue doesn't mention a 6 bottom No. 70 but does advertise the International 660 as the "Most Rugged Full 6 Plow Tractor in the World". 

Plows 1960.jpg

3 minutes ago, IHRedRyan said:

Interesting that my 1960 Farmer's Catalogue doesn't mention a 6 bottom No. 70 but does advertise the International 660 as the "Most Rugged Full 6 Plow Tractor in the World". 

Plows 1960.jpg

661824167_ScreenShot2021-01-21at3_55_56PM.thumb.jpg.180a978e0d0e022c989a98f80c46ad65.jpg