Last week 1/14/21  a 966 BS sold on a On Line estate auction at Reedsburg WI. for $16000. Did I miss something special on this farm tractor.

That was just down the road from me I was wondering the same thing and we were wondering what they sold for new. My buddy quit bidding at $10,100. Every thing went high on that auction in my thoughts.

Sounds high for a 966. Must have been really GQ. How many hours on it? Cab or open station? Pics? 

I am not a real big fan of 966’s. Drove one in high school. It was OK, but I was spoiled by the 1256 that my boss also had. I would take an 856 hands down over a 966. 

Love 766D’s. Otherwise, might as well get a 1066. 

13 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Sounds high for a 966. Must have been really GQ. How many hours on it? Cab or open station? Pics? 

I knew him took very good care of every thing he had. hours 6722  I was there looking at what was on the auction the day before they had it plugged in it fired right up ran nice. That's the dirtiest I have ever seen it he had been in the nursing home for a while.

img (1).jpg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Does look like it'd clean up nice. 

I spy a wet bolster. Its possible that it was a cornpicker tractor in its early years. 

He bought it new I'm pretty shur  it never had a picker on it. It was his main tractor 

That tractor was not overpriced at all. You will drive the wheels off tying to find an original wet bolster 966 with the (1456) front axle like that. Even without the wet bolster it should have brought that. A nice open station 66 is worth a lot. Sold a 766 south of me a ways for 16,000 a month ago and last spring a 1066 for 18,500. They are a lot better tractor than a new one for a lot less money. It isn't just collectors buying them either. I talked to the gentleman that bought the 1066, he said the 806 was being moved from tillage to planter duty and the 1066 was replacing it. Not all farms are 305's and 24 rows, and not everyone wants a red leather seat or can afford it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

That tractor was not overpriced at all. You will drive the wheels off tying to find an original wet bolster 966 with the (1456) front axle like that. Even without the wet bolster it should have brought that. A nice open station 66 is worth a lot. Sold a 766 south of me a ways for 16,000 a month ago and last spring a 1066 for 18,500. They are a lot better tractor than a new one for a lot less money. It isn't just collectors buying them either. I talked to the gentleman that bought the 1066, he said the 806 was being moved from tillage to planter duty and the 1066 was replacing it. Not all farms are 305's and 24 rows, and not everyone wants a red leather seat or can afford it.

That tractor is worth that all day long in my book.  There is a lot of work I’m not sure a newer tractor does any better or is needed.  We have lots of new stuff where I work but still use a 4440, 4250, 4555 EVERYDAY.  I aM not against new equipment but I question if in 40 years it will be as usable as this 966. 

I don't know, but if I was gonna spend that it would be on a 1086, 186,or even a 1066 or 100

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I don't know, but if I was gonna spend that it would be on a 1086, 186,or even a 1066 or 100

X-2! For that kind of money I want a turbo!

19 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

X-2! For that kind of money I want a turbo!

And a cab!

That wet bolster helped it to get to that price to those that know what to look for. 66s bringing decent money my way right now. I like to look at them at show's and whatnot, but not interested in farming with a 66 again eating dust. or any 86 series tractor. 40+ years of routine seat time in a 86 series mainly and that's enough for me. I don't pay anyone's bills and nobody pays mine so we all use what works for each of our operations.

• Like 5

For 16,000 I sure wish it had a grille...

The wet bolster definitely had to make a difference. 

They have been bringing good money. 

It'd be a lot cooler with a narrow front I think. 

Not to hijack, but does the 1456 front axle actually have more weight carrying capacity than a 1256/856 axle if they all have 8 bolt hubs ?

This 966 with 6600 hours is still on Montana Craigslist.Been on there for over a year.Asking price is 8900.Several pictures on ad,it looks pretty clean.As an aside I hauled this 1983 Deere 4250 w/powershift home yesterday.In really good condition.Paid 18k,was the first one to call on it so got lucky.Pretty sure it's a 22-26K tractor.

Paul

01010_cjpc9A6mlYD_600x450.jpg

20210116_134617.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, pms1961 said:

This 966 with 6600 hours is still on Montana Craigslist.Been on there for over a year.Asking price is 8900.Several pictures on ad,it looks pretty clean.As an aside I hauled this 1983 Deere 4250 w/powershift home yesterday.In really good condition.Paid 18k,was the first one to call on it so got lucky.Pretty sure it's a 22-26K tractor.

Paul

01010_cjpc9A6mlYD_600x450.jpg

20210116_134617.jpg

Around this area you got a steal on that 4250.  I am saying the 966 is a good deal because if you saw some of the rusted beat up junk around here that theY get 10 or 12 for you would be begging to spend 16 for a nice tractor like that one.  That trailer looks pretty nice also.

Nice 4250. What type of gun did you use to steal that thing with at that price? lol..... 

I'm no expert but I believe the power steering is inside the bolster casting instead of external like 1066? Can put a narrow front on em with a wet bolster if you like the look.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I'm no expert but I believe the power steering is inside the bolster casting instead of external like 1066? Can put a narrow front on em with a wet bolster if you like the look.

Thanks Iowa thats what I kinda thought, I cant tell from the photo though.

58 minutes ago, 806Jordy said:

Thanks Iowa thats what I kinda thought, I cant tell from the photo though.

Me either other than those in the know dont see the external cylinder?