466 truck engine

I bought a 1996 IH 4900 truck from the wreckers for parts. The cab and frame are quite rusty. The engine is tagged as a 175 hp version and has a mechanical Bosch pump. I wondered if anyone could tell by the picture how many valves per cylinder this engine has. I haven't seen one that has the intake air entering the top of the valve cover like this one.

20210114_122216.jpg

New generation DT466, very different engine than the IH DT series, though there are some similarities. It is a 2 valve per cylinder design. There's a thread on this about once a month.

14 hours ago, grtown said:

I bought a 1996 IH 4900 truck from the wreckers for parts. The cab and frame are quite rusty. The engine is tagged as a 175 hp version and has a mechanical Bosch pump. I wondered if anyone could tell by the picture how many valves per cylinder this engine has. I haven't seen one that has the intake air entering the top of the valve cover like this one.

20210114_122216.jpg

Good call staying away from any E engine or the Max-farce😁

11 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Good call staying away from any E engine or the Max-farce😁

Nothing wrong with the E's other than the oddball 3 boxers.  After 2004 and tier 3, then 4, then 4 final (which was past down the toilet and into the sewer) it went downhill as every engine did

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Nothing wrong with the E's other than the oddball 3 boxers.  After 2004 and tier 3, then 4, then 4 final (which was past down the toilet and into the sewer) it went downhill as every engine did

I'm happy for you if you have good luck with them, I still have 3-4 mechanicals which are the most reliable trucks i own. I have 7-8 E models up to 2004 and constant Electric/sensors problems or O-ring issues on injectors. Plus they over heat so easy in the field with that stupid 1/2 rad 1/2 A to A cooler design.

22 hours ago, mmi said:

those engines and similar are "ask" here for $3500 with >> 1.5 mil mi .not running short block

up to $20K for some < 1 mil mi

YIKES!!!!!!! Here and within 1000 mi radius that engine is worth 1000.00 to 1500.00   In fact I had 2 of them and sold ea and they ran for 1000.00 each and they went to Ohio

I don't think they are worth anymore than 1500 dollars here unless there was some record of service work done to it.There are quite a few trucks being retired on account of rust and other things so they won't certify. Also quite a few school buses that have that engine and can't be certified as they are to old. This C&C had a 7 speed transmission with hydraulic brakes and I was able to drive it home. It ran ok but the trans shift detents are all wore out so it falls out of gear when not under load. I was hoping to fix the transmission but so far the story I am getting here is the parts are exclusive to IH and they think parts are quite valuable.

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

YIKES!!!!!!! Here and within 1000 mi radius that engine is worth 1000.00 to 1500.00   In fact I had 2 of them and sold ea and they ran for 1000.00 each and they went to Ohio

Same story here , buy whole box truck with the new gen 466 running driving $2500

9 hours ago, 806 man said:

I'm happy for you if you have good luck with them, I still have 3-4 mechanicals which are the most reliable trucks i own. I have 7-8 E models up to 2004 and constant Electric/sensors problems or O-ring issues on injectors. Plus they over heat so easy in the field with that stupid 1/2 rad 1/2 A to A cooler design.

You ever had one over a idle  act like air in fuel cuts in and out but will idle all day? Got one at ih truck dealer doing that and act like its the first one they ever seen , 2002 4900 dt466e. 

Front plate broke and ps pump fell off , oil leaks other that that its been good.

Just now, Killer Red Mater said:

will have to find that full page ad again.

14 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

You ever had one over a idle  act like air in fuel cuts in and out but will idle all day? Got one at ih truck dealer doing that and act like its the first one they ever seen , 2002 4900 dt466e. 

Front plate broke and ps pump fell off , oil leaks other that that its been good.

The little square rubbers packing's on the steel fuel filter lines wear out over time also the little valve that is a tire valve should have a steel cap with rubber inside they will let air into the system. Had the nut on H pump solenoid come off one. Many cam sensors replaced, generally O rings on injectors might let engine start cold but not when warm. Look at all sensor's any that have oil leaking out around connection are suspect. Plus check wiring for worn through area's .

Have pete that kept throwing codes, computer say sensor # then after more codes and numerous sensors replaced I ordered new engine harness, removed old wiring, right behind air compressor were 4-5 wires worn through and randomly shorting out throwing codes. replaced no more problems.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, grtown said:

I don't think they are worth anymore than 1500 dollars here unless there was some record of service work done to it.There are quite a few trucks being retired on account of rust and other things so they won't certify. Also quite a few school buses that have that engine and can't be certified as they are to old. This C&C had a 7 speed transmission with hydraulic brakes and I was able to drive it home. It ran ok but the trans shift detents are all wore out so it falls out of gear when not under load. I was hoping to fix the transmission but so far the story I am getting here is the parts are exclusive to IH and they think parts are quite valuable.

My single axle S1600 dump with a 5 speed would jump out of gear when I first got it. Turned out to be a broken shift fork. I had already found another used one out of a UHaul so never fixed it.