Why do I keep you around?

My dad liked his super m he ran it a lot also stacking hay. But I bet if you could ask him his old girl was the 47 A JD, his dad bought it used but has been around since the late 40s early 50s.

• Like 1

I’ve had my M with F-11 for real close to 50 years. 
Will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. 
it’s never failed to do what I ask of it. 

• Like 2

Pic of dads super m with f11, his lifelong A under a pile of tractor parts and the newer A we used with his other super M. The middle A with corn cultivator used to be the all purpose tractor. Old F10 cable farmhand on it. Remove farmhand put corn cultivator on it then put farmhand back on. Then Dad bought the loader super m and the other on. The later A he bought and overhauled it and painted it years ago.

F9429AE7-30C8-457B-B9CB-87F1FC77B1E1.jpeg

DD2802B5-E18D-466D-918F-A1608345E8E1.jpeg

6EED003E-75FD-47E0-B207-2371A1BCBAFA.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is the "grapple" home built or something that came with the loader?  I've never seen one like that around here.

Every loader around these parts has a grapple fork. 

I spose they could be home built but all that I know of came with the loader. 

So was your question that specific grapple fork or the idea of grapple forks in general?

8 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

That specific one, although they are uncommon in general around here, especially for hay. 

Ok, it just bolts to the sides of the bucket. And cylinder bolts to the back of the bucket. It is all DuAl and pretty old. 

You may be more used to seeing grapples like i have on my 656

1621985421_656andloader2.jpg.97c0ff1f2ad541d3b3382c8250d706dd.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Cool. I can see the usefulness of it. Bale spears are the tool of choice in this neck of the woods. I'm the odd man out cause I prefer a set of pallet forks.

Now on my little Wilmar Wrangler, I use the pallet forks for unloading pallets of feed and moving bales. The forks work great, I agree. 

A lot of times we handle loose hay and the bucket and grapple forks help with that. 

4 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Now on my little Wilmar Wrangler, I use the pallet forks for unloading pallets of feed and moving bales. The forks work great, I agree. 

A lot of times we handle loose hay and the bucket and grapple forks help with that. 

OK, that makes sense. No loose hay to be found here. And, never seen a grapple like on the 656 either. If you see a grapple here, it's on a skid steer or a utility bucket.

• Like 1

That is factory dual grapple you have Sandhills. The older duals had a double grapple available. No bucket but bottom and top forks that squeezed the hay on both sides.those early grapples were all designed for loose hay.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That is factory dual grapple you have Sandhills. The older duals had a double grapple available. No bucket but bottom and top forks that squeezed the hay on both sides.those early grapples were all designed for loose hay.

Yup, it is pretty old but not as old and the DuAl 250 I had where the grapple cylinder mounted to the loader frame instead of the bucket. If you tilted the bucket down the grapple did not move with it. It wasn't too bad for spreading hay but you had to be used to how it worked. The newer styles that are all on the bucket are a better design in every way. 

The double grapple is called a brush grapple around here and would would work well with hay also but you would lose the advantage of a bucket. 

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

Yup, it is pretty old but not as old and the DuAl 250 I had where the grapple cylinder mounted to the loader frame instead of the bucket. If you tilted the bucket down the grapple did not move with it. It wasn't too bad for spreading hay but you had to be used to how it worked. The newer styles that are all on the bucket are a better design in every way. 

I forgot about that model. There were some square channel iron duals around here. The first ones built a 200 I think.they were old but not as old as the horn loaders.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I forgot about that model. There were some square channel iron duals around here. The first ones built a 200 I think.they were old but not as old as the horn loaders.

250 is as old as I remember. the one on my SM is a 300, I have had a 325 and this 345 on a 656H that (the man down at the bank took her from me)My apologies to George Jones for using his song about a corvette for my tractor? The 345 was a real nice loader although not quick tach. 

531325921_656anddual340.jpg.64d7556813675cb1394bf1bcf5087846.jpg

The 250 is like the one on your super m but with a single tilt. I have seen some real old duals that were flat top arms instead of rounded . Almost like 2 pieces of channel bent and welded. They were old loaders.

• Like 2

From the very early '50's.  I think my dad got his in '50 or maybe '51.  Was mounted on a '48 Deere A for many years and then on a Deere 70 where it currently is.

Ron

• Like 1

You keep the old SM around because she doesn’t owe you dime. Guessing she was instrumental in keeping you floating during some hard times. You keep her around because you “owe” it to her.  She’s family!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, red2thebone sr said:

You keep the old SM around because she doesn’t owe you dime. Guessing she was instrumental in keeping you floating during some hard times. You keep her around because you “owe” it to her.  She’s family!

Exactly this.!!!!!

• Like 1