People watching

MTO

Airports used to be my favorite place to watch people.

Their clothes/expressions/gait/attitudes.

Not until I went to my first farm auction did I find a MUCH more entertaining group of people.

The overall attempt by people to be invisible/un-noticed/discreet.

I try to place myself behind auctioneer to get the best view of the crowd.

The hat brims pulled down, the rolling eyes, the subtle bidding gestures.

You can't buy entertainment like this!

Even when they win the bid, emotionless and usually look at their shoes.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MTO said:

The hat brims pulled down, the rolling eyes, the subtle bidding gestures.

Even when they win the bid, emotionless and usually look at their shoes.

The btos dont want you to know they paid $.50/ton and now want $300 for 1 PIECE .seen 8-15 tractors piled on a trailer,like the claw in an arcade,factory tin meant nothing to their $$

People watching is one of my favorite hobbies! You're right, the airport is one of the best places; I always enjoy picking up or dropping off someone, and usually try to get there early and/ or stay late just to do that. Another good spot is a county or state fair... grab something to eat... pick a spot on a bench... and just watch the people go by

WHEN I WAS IN BUSINESS DOING LOGGING AND TREE SERVICE. I LIKE TO TRY TO PICK THE CUSTOMERS BRAIN WHEN I GAVE A ESTIMATE. TRY TO READ THEIR STORY. NOWI SIT AND WATCH  IN GROCERY STORES. SORTA FUN

• Like 1

Before beating tin together and being around dust collectors and such has taken a toll on my hearing, I loved to try to piece stories together of conversations overheard at restaurants. They were all strangers, I never interjected anything, just listened. And laughed. Still wonder what that SOB Frank did.....

My wife loves doing just that, she does shotgun with me any time we go out and whenever I go to a store she doesn't need to she just says I'll stay here and people watch, ok, enjoy.

Auctions always seem to bring all kinds out of the woodwork. Another good place to people watch is concerts or music festivals.

As a kid couldn’t wait to go to the airport to play this, then being able to stand out on the open air balcony and watch people get on and off below on the tarmac 

0A92F8C1-9CDD-4D53-9BEB-B7BBFBAA4431.png

People watch and make up the stories that go with the current situation.

As for the auctions my wife goes more than I do and the auctioneer just watches her face he knows what she is there for.

I rarely go and it will be for one item only I have my stopping point decided and I will bid back so fast when it gets to one on one most times I walk away empty handed. They probably think I am nuts go like **** then just stop and walk away no second thoughts.

Ah, the farm auction.

Ever since I was young I liked to go and find an old gent sitting on a piece of machinery away from the auction ring. 

Some of the best conversations I have ever had. 

• Like 1