Second Plow ID help

Sledgehammer

And Hammer, my name is MT Matt and I have a letter series addiction. ???. I have all except a BN. Have started on the W series, need a 4 and a 6. Have a few of the Supers also.

I’m afraid the affliction will continue for many years to come!!  I do justify it as I make a living with mine. If they could in the 40s & 50s, no reason I can’t today!!

5C037F1B-9B7D-499F-983C-2E4AD32336DF.thumb.jpeg.3812c5a74a1846c8dfe0d425fbb85bdc.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MT Matt said:

And Hammer, my name is MT Matt and I have a letter series addiction. ???. I have all except a BN. Have started on the W series, need a 4 and a 6. Have a few of the Supers also.

I’m afraid the affliction will continue for many years to come!!  I do justify it as I make a living with mine. If they could in the 40s & 50s, no reason I can’t today!!

5C037F1B-9B7D-499F-983C-2E4AD32336DF.thumb.jpeg.3812c5a74a1846c8dfe0d425fbb85bdc.jpeg

4B698135-D247-41C8-8FC9-3D9FA725F38C.jpeg

22 minutes ago, MT Matt said:

So are you saying you gave less for the 4 btm plow then the 3 btm sold for??  ??

The #70 that my neighbor had was dropped down to a 3 btm. I don’t see it on your plow but this one had two arms on the axle for the tail wheel rod. This would keep the rod in alignment with the tail wheel for 3 or 4 bottoms. 

My #70 3 btm has trip beams. Just have to back up to reset. I’ve tested them a few times on stumps in my field. 

It looks to me like you could use the same arm on the axle but use a shorter rod on the opposite side?  I purchased an owners manual today so if the USPS cooperates I may have it in a week or so and see what it says on the matter. 

It would be interesting to know if the 3/4 btm adjustment had just a different length rod to the tail wheel or two rod locations on the axle to compensate. I didn’t think to look at that plow closely to see if it was made that way or a farmer add on. From memory both arms on the axle looked the same. 

Anyone seen that before?  Factory deal?

1 hour ago, MT Matt said:

It would be interesting to know if the 3/4 btm adjustment had just a different length rod to the tail wheel or two rod locations on the axle to compensate. I didn’t think to look at that plow closely to see if it was made that way or a farmer add on. From memory both arms on the axle looked the same. 

Anyone seen that before?  Factory deal?

DT fan said he had both arms so I think IH made both lengths. I saw a 3btm on CL after you posted about this earlier that had a shorter rod flipped 180° and stuck in the opposite side of the one axle mounted tab. 

I might not have been very clear, has anyone seen two axle mount tabs for when you drop a bottom?  

All of the pics of the plows posted here only have one axle mount tab for the rod to the tail wheel.  The brochure pics only show one also.

The plow I looked at had two, one near the outside bend going down to the wheel.  The other I saw was more towards the center, in line with the next to last bottom.  Anyone know if this was factory or a farmer fix?

Here are some pics. Quality may be a problem, glare from the sun and the snow. Be happy to take more when conditions improve.

I looked for a part number on the long rod, did not find one. Wind was ripping where I was so I didn't look at the plow to close. There again, when things warm up I can look some more.

I was thinking about selling this particular plow as I have about ten others and three more in the pipeline..... This thread has me thinking I need to hook her on the 756 some day and see how it works.

When thinking the fourth bottom was going back on I could not find the carriage bolts, got as far as buying some new ones. The originals are here somewhere, would prefer to use them, just don't want to spend 50 hours finding them!

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Here are some pics. Quality may be a problem, glare from the sun and the snow. Be happy to take more when conditions improve.

I looked for a part number on the long rod, did not find one. Wind was ripping where I was so I didn't look at the plow to close. There again, when things warm up I can look some more.

I was thinking about selling this particular plow as I have about ten others and three more in the pipeline..... This thread has me thinking I need to hook her on the 756 some day and see how it works.

When thinking the fourth bottom was going back on I could not find the carriage bolts, got as far as buying some new ones. The originals are here somewhere, would prefer to use them, just don't want to spend 50 hours finding them!

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

Thanks for checking on that. Did you get any measurements on the length of the rod for the 3btm?

10 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Todd, the measurements I got: Short, 46 & 1/2". Long, 71 & 1/2"

That is the 'long' measurement going through the air.

Thank You Sir!

Thanks to “The Paper Farmer” Mike Becker for a reasonably priced original manual.  I even picked up an original mailer for the 60/70 plows from him. Quick shipping. 

A quick look through it found that it denotes the part numbers for the 3btm tail wheel guide rod and 4btm tail wheel rod.  Should otherwise help a lot in getting things set right in the future for some work. 

71965428-0719-41B6-A62A-FCAD0CAFFBF9.jpeg

438F580B-5E4C-461F-9B32-B6AC0F587358.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Todd, look what I found out in the shop in a pile of manuals this morning!  

63FBE0E9-FD02-400C-8A6F-CDC4E0871E17.thumb.jpeg.01658e6edecbac6eaf3e070abdbcec6c.jpeg

I’m cleaning up a spot to build a bench for the valve grinder and the box of manuals was buried under some junk. There was an operators manual for a Super A also.

49183ED3-719C-4D26-9E9D-E5703F66D5C7.thumb.jpeg.0123d8ed236e4d8aa1c983b70565a2e5.jpeg

This picture answered my question about two locations to attach the rear lift link also, depending on 3 or 4 bottoms like I had seen on the neighbor’s plow. 

• Like 2