7 minutes ago, bitty said:

Sorry guys ..... I admit I am addicted to the 450 series  . In my defense I got a pair of 230 and a 200 that diverted money from possible 450 aquisitions in the last few years

Hi, my name is Bitty and I have a number series problem....??

• Haha 6
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, my name is Bitty and I have a number series problem....??

So are you saying you gave less for the 4 btm plow then the 3 btm sold for??  ?? The #70 that my neighbor had was dropped down to a 3 btm. I don’t see it on your plow but this one had two arms on

Thanks to “The Paper Farmer” Mike Becker for a reasonably priced original manual.  I even picked up an original mailer for the 60/70 plows from him. Quick shipping.    A quick look through it f

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, new guy said:

So will there be a plow day near Hammer-town next year?

I don’t have a good place for one unfortunately. I really enjoy plowing and would love to see a “Red Power Plower Day” ?

• Like 1

I would have liked the 102. I’m keeping my eye open for a cheap CC. But a tractor is first priority......

Congrats on your new plow,  excellent choice and a good looking plow!

Will it be at red power this summer?

9 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Congrats on your new plow,  excellent choice and a good looking plow!

Will it be at red power this summer?

Thanks, I doubt I have any time for paint and body work before then. I do hope to get it to a usable shape first and see about things from there. Finding a manual will be first off followed by some decent rubber and hopefully a cylinder. I believe I have enough wear parts to replace these but will need to look. 

I was wrong about the moldboards. They are IH with the part number shown below. I have never seen the sticker that they have on them which threw me off. I will look things over for wear more when I get home and have a little daylight left. 

BF02102C-B103-4619-94C7-7507F403F1DD.jpeg

3D01E76E-9B39-4398-A4D6-169137882620.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thanks, I doubt I have any time for paint and body work before then. I do hope to get it to a usable shape first and see about things from there. Finding a manual will be first off followed by some decent rubber and hopefully a cylinder. I believe I have enough wear parts to replace these but will need to look. 

It doesn't need to be restored to go to a show .....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bitty said:

It doesn't need to be restored to go to a show .....

I understand that. I try to use everything I have regardless of condition. My favorite part of older equipment is seeing it used the way it was intended to be. I still love seeing the perfect restorations but have always been more function than form.  

• Like 1

IH sold their adjustable share angle pretty hard in the literature,  not surprising that they added lots of decals at first.  

Those have to be some old moldboards to have blue paint and yellow decals......maybe original to the plow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

IH sold their adjustable share angle pretty hard in the literature,  not surprising that they added lots of decals at first.  

Those have to be some old moldboards to have blue paint and yellow decals......maybe original to the plow!

The decals for the adjustable moldboards that I've found for sale are red and white.  I assume those are newer and used after they started painting the moldboards black?  I've had the yellow decals reproduced for my plows that I've had repainted.

I agree Sledge, I love to see the meticulously restored equipment.  But even the stuff I've restored and painted up I like to use.  Stare at it in the shed isn't as much fun as using it.

• Like 1

I am also in the group who likes to be using the old equipment as it was made for. 

• Like 3

^^^^agreed 

If you can't use it, what fun is it????

• Like 2
On 1/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, DT Fan said:

So, looking at dad's plow, I assume from this discussion that it is a model 70? That would be fitting as he loved Winchester 70's too.

Not the best picture I ever took! It is a 4-14", rear bottom is on a pallet, was going to put it back on this fall but it just didn't happen.

IMG_0851.JPG

Could you please take a couple more pics of your plow if you get a chance some day?  I’d be interested to see the rear with the bottom “dropped” like that. Looks pretty straight forward except the guide rod that goes to the tail wheel would need to be changed or adapted. I would think there was originally a different part number for that?  It could probably be made by the looks of things. Thanks

58 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Could you please take a couple more pics of your plow if you get a chance some day?  I’d be interested to see the rear with the bottom “dropped” like that. Looks pretty straight forward except the guide rod that goes to the tail wheel would need to be changed or adapted. I would think there was originally a different part number for that?  It could probably be made by the looks of things. Thanks

No problem, will get them tomorrow morning. Provided the weather is conducive to running a chainsaw.

You are correct about the tail-wheel guide rod. Lucky enough to have both of them, will try to get a pic of them next to one another.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

No problem, will get them tomorrow morning. Provided the weather is conducive to running a chainsaw.

You are correct about the tail-wheel guide rod. Lucky enough to have both of them, will try to get a pic of them next to one another.

That would be great!  Maybe an overall length on the shorter guide rod so I can try to replicate it. I can’t imagine ever finding that part anywhere.....

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

That would be great!  Maybe an overall length on the shorter guide rod so I can try to replicate it. I can’t imagine ever finding that part anywhere.....

I think you have to be quite the optimist to think you could find that particular needle in a haystack! Always figured if I found the needle it would right in the backside!

Will try to get some dimensions too.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, bitty said:

I am also in the group who likes to be using the old equipment as it was made for. 

.....you are very fortunate  , bitty.......my ''old equipment''  is not even fit for any use at all.......sigh

Mike

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, mike newman said:

.....you are very fortunate  , bitty.......my ''old equipment''  is not even fit for any use at all.......sigh

Mike

MTO sez they make pills for that, Mike! ?

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, ihrondiesel said:

MTO sez they make pills for that, Mike! ?

1 minute ago, ihrondiesel said:

.....ok...ok.....Yes , so I believe...Do they work for MTO..????...he has been a bit "" tetchy""   of late !!!  May I will ask him...:)

..Thankyou  " ihrondiesel "...for your  sage advice......:blush:

.....and ..apologies  to  ol' Sledge....for skewing his topic.....but....unbelievably , it is snowing down under here, high summer, so the ''weed wipeing''  exercise   is on hold ...!!!

Mike

With the subject of reducing bottoms/shortening the tail wheel rod, etc.  Would anyone have a set of 2-14s in a #60 plow that they could measure the overall length of that rod and post it here for me. I would certainly appreciate it.  I want to reduce my 3 bottom to a 2 bottom. 

49 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Not all of my tractors run currently.. I have a single bottom roll over plow small prong fast hitch that came with the one 230 and it needs some work to use 

1 hour ago, Tobaccoman said:

With the subject of reducing bottoms/shortening the tail wheel rod, etc.  Would anyone have a set of 2-14s in a #60 plow that they could measure the overall length of that rod and post it here for me. I would certainly appreciate it.  I want to reduce my 3 bottom to a 2 bottom. 

My Dad has a 2x16 #60.  If I remember I will measure this weekend.  I don't think there would be any difference between that and the length of a 2 x 14.

23 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was successful today. I purchased the #70 4x14” plow and also a seed/fertilizer spreader buggy made by Herd. This is a small pull type but also has 3pt hookups. It needs a wash job pretty bad but I feel like it was reasonable for the money. 

There was no 450 there to see even though one was listed on the sale bill.
The #60 3btm brought $325.  Very nice IH #50 blade sold for $1900.  I didn’t see the 1486 sell but was told it was $4-5K with. I’m not telling what I paid for the #70 but it was reasonable.  

There is your report @Tobaccoman

So are you saying you gave less for the 4 btm plow then the 3 btm sold for??  ??

The #70 that my neighbor had was dropped down to a 3 btm. I don’t see it on your plow but this one had two arms on the axle for the tail wheel rod. This would keep the rod in alignment with the tail wheel for 3 or 4 bottoms. 

My #70 3 btm has trip beams. Just have to back up to reset. I’ve tested them a few times on stumps in my field. 

CC6D365B-1B96-458F-839B-0767D4DB7B48.thumb.jpeg.8bdf660b6b80ce67b261c1b2b0f0ee3c.jpeg

7E2F536C-4AF8-4524-A001-997EC1F10D3F.thumb.jpeg.4ce42da6d868b492b0217e9d1a40e12a.jpeg

• Like 5