Second Plow ID help

Sledgehammer

5 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

Sorry for the question.  Couldn't help myself but to ask. Like I said, I won't be there.

Good luck on the plows. And could you post back what the 450 brings?

I will see what I can do on price reports.  I was interested in looking at the 450 but as of yesterday it was not on site so I’m not sure what to think about that. Several jockeys have been dragging stuff in. 

So, looking at dad's plow, I assume from this discussion that it is a model 70? That would be fitting as he loved Winchester 70's too.

Not the best picture I ever took! It is a 4-14", rear bottom is on a pallet, was going to put it back on this fall but it just didn't happen.

IMG_0851.JPG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

So, looking at dad's plow, I assume from this discussion that it is a model 70? That would be fitting as he loved Winchester 70's too.

Not the best picture I ever took! It is a 4-14", rear bottom is on a pallet, was going to put it back on this fall but it just didn't happen.

IMG_0851.JPG

Looks like it. The literature above said the 4,5,and 6 bottom versions had a removable bottom which I find interesting.  What did your Father pull it with?

17 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks like it. The literature above said the 4,5,and 6 bottom versions had a removable bottom which I find interesting.  What did your Father pull it with?

That's a darn good question! Must have been the 175 Allis. I don't remember him using it a whole lot, he had a three bottom before this one he pulled with the 300. That had to be a low speed affair! Don't know what was wrong with the 300 but it was the most anemic red tractor I've ever been around! Seemed like Grandpa's WD would do twice the work on half the gas, Kind of gave me a red phobia.

We pulled the back bottom off to plow up some sod, it was tough going even with the 6080 pulling it.

Those plows could be had in rigid, possibly shear bolt, and trip.

Later versions of the 70 (770) were offered automatic reset as well.

Odd to see rigid beams and trip hitch on the "top of the line" pull type plow of the day.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Those plows could be had in rigid, possibly shear bolt, and trip.

Later versions of the 70 may have offered automatic reset as well.

Odd to see rigid beams and trip hitch on the "top of the line" pull type plow of the day.....

I guess it depended on location maybe?  Even on newer, larger plows like the 700-720 we never saw spring resets in this area. 

No need for resets in our area either.  Barely a rock bigger than 2 fists here!

Lots of sear bolt beams and later toggle trip......for the clearance, not the rocks!

Only broke shear bolts in hard ground.....

I intend to watch the plow tomorrow so it will probably be astronomically high. That’s my auction luck with equipment. ?

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I intend to watch the plow tomorrow so it will probably be astronomically high. That’s my auction luck with equipment. ?

I know that feeling, once in awhile though........

2 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I know that feeling, once in awhile though........

And that’s why we go to sales ?

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Screenshot_20210118-140614.png

so does that mean Bitty was successful or what?

• Haha 2

I was successful today. I purchased the #70 4x14” plow and also a seed/fertilizer spreader buggy made by Herd. This is a small pull type but also has 3pt hookups. It needs a wash job pretty bad but I feel like it was reasonable for the money. 

There was no 450 there to see even though one was listed on the sale bill.
The #60 3btm brought $325.  Very nice IH #50 blade sold for $1900.  I didn’t see the 1486 sell but was told it was $4-5K with. I’m not telling what I paid for the #70 but it was reasonable.  

There is your report @Tobaccoman

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

so does that mean Bitty was successful or what?

I successfully received a text from Todd after he was successful at bidding. Lol 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

Thanks for the report. Glad you got the plow. Sounds like the #60 wasn't too bad of a deal.

They both needed new wear parts. I felt the 70 was in a little better shape personally. Could use it a little as is but around here you need good points to get into the ground well. Deep suck points reign supreme. 

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

They both needed new wear parts. I felt the 70 was in a little better shape personally. Could use it a little as is but around here you need good points to get into the ground well. Deep suck points reign supreme. 

Does it have super cheif bottoms? 

Here is the blade and a 122 

Screenshot_20210118-201946.png

Screenshot_20210118-201953.png

Screenshot_20210118-202012.png

Screenshot_20210118-202020.png

9 minutes ago, bitty said:

Does it have super cheif bottoms? 

Here is the blade and a 122 

Screenshot_20210118-201946.png

Screenshot_20210118-201953.png

Screenshot_20210118-202012.png

Screenshot_20210118-202020.png

Super chief style bottoms. Actually has what I think are old aftermarket bottoms. The sticker on them says they are adjustable?  The Cub Cadet brought $600

1 minute ago, Tobaccoman said:

You do know your #70 is made to where it is reducible to a 3 bottom. Unlike the #60 pictured which is not reducible to a 2 bottom. 

Yes, thanks, that was a major selling point to me for this one. 

8 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

You do know your #70 is made to where it is reducible to a 3 bottom. Unlike the #60 pictured which is not reducible to a 2 bottom. 

I have had a strange desire to find a 450 gas some day and really would like a W450 to pull it with. I have Great Grandpas row crop 350 that should pull it with the fourth bottom dropped as a 3x14” plow was standard for a 350 in this area in their day. 

2 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

Yep, you're fixed now to have either a 3 or 4 bottom to use with either the 350 or a 450 in the future.  I would like a 450 but it seems they don't become available very often. 

well, that's because Bitty swoops in before anyone else even has their pants on....

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Tobaccoman said:

Yep, you're fixed now to have either a 3 or 4 bottom to use with either the 350 or a 450 in the future.  I would like a 450 but it seems they don't become available very often. 

6 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

well, that's because Bitty swoops in before anyone else even has their pants on....

Sorry guys ..... I admit I am addicted to the 450 series  . In my defense I got a pair of 230 and a 200 that diverted money from possible 450 aquisitions in the last few years