How many of you have aerial photos of your farm? Seemed to be big deal back in the day. I really always enjoyed those when I was a kid. Would stand and study them at friends places and such. We never had one of the farm I grew up on. It was a rented farm and Dad would never spring for an aerial photo when they stopped trying to sell him one. I really wish I had one of it now. Because I always liked them I decided I was going to buy them even if overpriced when they came around. So I did. We have 12 of them from two different places. Our first place was a rented farm as well. Have never regretted buying a single one. However I haven't had anyone stop with a new one for a long time. Did this dry up and die because of todays drones? I am guessing that to be partially the case, and not nearly as many farms with proud owners anymore. The places in the country are probably only about half actual farmers anymore. So how many do y'all have? Do you have a drone taken one now? Maybe I need a drone too?

They have stopped by here a couple times in the 12 plus years I’ve lived here but I have never bought one. I was lucky enough to get to take an airplane ride with my camera in about 2008 and took several of my place then. I know there are 4-5 around of Grandpas farm.
Try this if you like older aerial shots.  It took a while to find my place but I have found pics back into the late 60’s or early 70’s  I went and found local dealership pics from back then also.  Pretty cool.

https://vintageaerial.com/?c=GAW2020BRANDED&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIho_rnZee7gIVxkXVCh150wkzEAAYASAAEgIxAPD_BwE

• Like 2

Have 1 or 2 of place i grew up on. Bought 1 a few years ago of our place now. 

We have 10 of them. The first one is from 1947 when my grandpa bought the place. One from 1975 is the size of a small movie poster. The only decade we don't have for some reason is the 1950's. It's fun to see not only changes, but in a couple you can see someone outside. One thing I never do is give them what they are asking. I Palestine them down on the price.

Ok, so some have them, why not post a pic? There is one of the farm at Mom's I'll post after I get there and snap the picture.

I like the aerial shots too.

We have a bunch of a pictures throughout the years of all 3 of our farms.

The first 3 are of my place. Middle pics are the early 60s, 

20190203_220510_001.jpg

20190203_220601.jpg

20190204_080237.jpg

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I Palestine them down on the price.

I see what you did there...........

I do the same thing. We have a couple photos. Generally offer half price to start.

Since we are third generation on our place there are a bunch of these photos from decades gone by but they are all spread around to different family members.

I'll second the Vintage Aerial website. Very cool stuff there.

I always wanted one but...

I've got so much junk everywhere it would look bad. 

I guess that's why they never ask me!

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 2

This is what we refer to as the main farm throughout the years. Brother lives in the small house and the big house is empty and eventually going to be torn down. The 2 that aren't labeled are early 90 and the last one is 2018

20190204_075927.jpg

20190204_080003.jpg

20190204_073058.jpg

20190204_073330.jpg

• Like 3

This last group is of where i grew up with the feedlot. Mom and Dad are still there.

20190204_080027.jpg

20190204_104608.jpg

20190204_104535.jpg

• Like 3

I have one of ours my wife got me off vintageaerial...............Can't seem much of the buildings except the roofs through the big hemlock trees.  Can see the farm house where my sister lives ok though.  Think it was taken in '81?  That site is neat to look through, I would guess half or more of the places on there from years past are gone completely now.  

• Like 1

The 1st is 1947 and the 2nd is 2018. Doesn't look to bad from the ground but sure looks messy from the air.

DSCF2121.JPG

DSCF2124.JPG

• Like 1

Fun Topic!!  I need to post pictures of our Farms,  First ones are from the 1940's.

The Fella's would stop by your farm at supper time and show you the sample Photo's.

The first time I can remember of was around 1964,  My Mom was asking the fella can you remove a building from the photo if necessary? 

The photographer said,  "What do you Need Removed"?

My mom pointed to the photo with her finger,  "That small Building, Right There!!!"

The Air Plane Photographer shot the Picture at the moment my Mom was "Exiting" the "Outhouse",....House Dress Hiked Up showing her bloomers 😁!!!

Dad & Grandpa rolled on the ground Laughing,  and "NO" we didn't get to keep a sample photo.  But the story was told at Family Events for Years!!

To This Day None of our "Farm Photo's" have an image of the back yard Privy in the Pictures!! 

Jim Droscha

• Haha 3

The first photo of our farm done in 1953 and was hand painted. The most recent (2018) I had done with a drone. It was easier to get the pic done when I wanted. It was also easier to determine which angle the pic would be taken from. Apologies for the glare.

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

• Like 1

2021 pictures in central Iowa will really look different after the storm last summer.

Our farm we sold in the fall of 89 . Dave Downs place would be to the left of this . Place sprouted to houses since then 

IMG_20190927_112312039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Probly got 10 or so of them.   Have 1 right by my office door that had hung there several years when a buddy of mine with better sight than me was looking at it and casually said "looks like you got a dead steer in the feedlot".  Got a magnifying glass for a better look and sure enough there was that nearly finished white steer that kicked off behind the dirt mound in the feed lot in middle of summer that i didn't find till a day or so later looking like he gained 700 lb in 1 day, if you know what i mean, feet up in the air at about 45*.  In the picture about 30 other cattle are circled around him as if having a memorial service.  Buddy calls my farm "dead steer acres" now.     😀😀

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, kal said:

2021 pictures in central Iowa will really look different after the storm last summer.

X-2! Posted a pic of the 756 the day I power washed her last summer and noticed all the trees. Going to post a similar one this summer for comparison. Just need a little memory upgrade to pull that off.

Yeah,  I think Google Earth killed most of this industry.....

3 hours ago, acem said:

I always wanted one but...

I've got so much junk everywhere it would look bad. 

I guess that's why they never ask me!

Thx-Ace 

I feel your pain! 😆

33 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I feel your pain! 😆

Been working on cleaning up the farm for over 10 years now. It is a lot cleaner now. Biggest difference is we went from Dad's junk to Mike's junk!

• Haha 4