3 D print a carburetor Bowl ❓

560Dennis

Any body into 3 D printing ? Why ? I have a crack in the Fordson float bowl. I want to try JB weld first . But I’m bull headed and won’t give up . My son has a 3 D printer now , so I wasn’t wondering if there is any one that has done something like that  

Note : I have not seen the crack yet ,just got a call ☎️ from My son and I’m not to good at the extent , just I have to see it ?

Pretty disgusted with myself , taking out my anger on beating the dents out of the fenders . All stop and think ? 

you don’t find one of these on eBay if you do you pay eBay prices and get the same thing  hundred year old part is pretty hard to find let alone description 

We have one a work and a guy that is pretty innovative in creations, if the plastic will stand up to fuel and additives it should work

5 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

What is the original bowl made of?

Cast iron

There are 3 or 4 materials used in making the filament for a 3D printer. The most common, PLA, I doubt would have the strength even if you used the variant with carbon fiber in it. PETG, another material that can be used in a 3D printer is gasoline resistant. It's stronger than PLA and it too can be be had with carbon fiber. PLA on the other hand has a very low melting point where PETG is much higher. On my printer normal printer temps are bed 60C and nozzle 105C for PLA. With PETG it jumps to 70C for the bed and 145C for the nozzle. PETG is the same stuff the make pop bottles out of. There are others out there but I have no personal experience with them primarily because the printing process heats the material enough that can emit toxic fumes and have to be printed in a well ventilated area or in a filtered enclosure.

Rick  

16 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Cast iron

Not fixable?  Brazing is the first thing that comes to mind. A good head rebuilder would be able to weld it I think. Might be some $$ though. 

you can braze it, they make epoxy that is fuel proof also for that crack, fixed my boat with that stuff until i could get a used replacement, worked fine for a yr and then i took it off, probably would have lasted forever - jbweld shoudl work also - not sure on the plastics and fuel resistance over time but worth a shot - have had good luck with brazing cast