Purchasing distance

I am looking at a different pickup and the used one that I'm looking at meets absolutely every option that I want, only down side is its 1500 miles away.  That got me thinking what is the farthest you have gone when looking at or buying a piece of equipment?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like it came from down under Australia.....lol

Edmonton to South Island of New   Zealand......along with an 1959 Thunderbird   and several other IH tractors   and a JD  vintage plough for a local JD collector...and other pieces and bits.....  

Does a wife from the Philippines count? Asking for a friend.....

Posted Images

500 miles (central Virginia to Atlanta GA) in 06 to buy my early 98 12v Dodge 3500. My wife and I rented a car and drove down. I figured if I made the deal we would drive back in the truck. If not, then we had a nice weekend trip in a rental car.  I still have the truck and the wife. Rental car got turned in down south.

• Like 1

I bought a planter from Hamel IL,  600 miles. And a 5488 from Williston ND 713 miles. Bought them both off pictures and talking to salesmen and had them delivered. 

San Diego.  I always wanted to do a coast-to-coast cross-country trip and the eBay vehicle purchase was icing on the cake...another bucket list item completed.  I will say that when you approach El Paso from New Mexico, it is an eye-opening to see the road sign that says:  Beaumont 802 miles.

I can't tell you the exact miles but i have bought a sprayer and grain head off the East coast and another sprayer out of Northwest iowa sight unseen,and i have no complaints. The difference in price from region to region can be huge.

I went up to nw Colorado to drive this back about 10 years ago for my dad. 850 miles.Was going to fly up but they had a set of full fiberglass fenders that came off of it so we took a pickup 

8489E376-8CA7-4299-8D69-8561ACE8695C.jpeg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

I went up to nw Colorado to drive this back about 10 years ago for my dad. 850 miles.Was going to fly up but they had a set of full fiberglass fenders that came off of it so we took a pickup 

8489E376-8CA7-4299-8D69-8561ACE8695C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I know a guy who went to Saskatchewan Canada from Dallas to purchase a Ford Expedition in 1999.  That is a fairly long trip!! 

1,891 miles · Light traffic · 1 day 3 hrs round trip 3800 miles

I once went from Dallas to Ventura CA to purchase an old boat motor round trip was 3300 miles.

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I was gonna say I drove it right side up. Not sure what happened. I didn’t need pontoons to get it back though

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

i just went to Ritchie Bros in Nashville. Bought a side dump online. it a long way from Wyoming 1600 miles. very pleased

You were here and didn't holler??  Guessing you came in on 24 which is 10 miles from me.  Let me know next time I will buy some grub.

I bought a drug seized pick-up from the Butte County, California, District Attorney once.

Less than half the cost of anything else I could find at the time.

Flew out, drove back. 1733 miles.

Cash only deal.

Interesting traveling with pockets full of cash. :o

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some things are so dumb that I should  not propagate them. We have a old Gillig Transit bus that is getting converted to an RV. I have made 4 round trips and have spent 3 weeks working on it in the past 2 years.  Each round trip is 750 miles.   The bus is in Springdale Arkansas, I have  been there too many times, when the motel employees remember me and I can drive in the area without a gps/map.  Nice to be retired and have few obligations or responsibilities.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, maxxum 140 said:

I am looking at a different pickup and the used one that I'm looking at meets absolutely every option that I want, only down side is its 1500 miles away.  That got me thinking what is the farthest you have gone when looking at or buying a piece of equipment?

We flew to Utah once for my friends truck, gotten a couple from PA, and my wifes saab came from VA. 

List of places I have bought stuff, acouple of the states had acouple items bought there over the years

Iowa

Nebraska

Georgia

Kentucky

Minnesota

Arkansas

Utah

New York State

Oklahoma

I think that is it off the top of my head.  Everything bought with tons of pictures, video, and in acouple instances inspection sheets by a dealer.  One hauler brought in most of them.  I personally find it the best to way to get equipment priced low and in better condition than anything close by.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mikem said:

I bought a drug seized pick-up from the Butte County, California, District Attorney once.

Less than half the cost of anything else I could find at the time.

Flew out, drove back. 1733 miles.

Cash only deal.

Interesting traveling with pockets full of cash. :o

Mike

That's what my son said flew from KC to Atlanta last summer for his dream truck had about half cash for Ford Raptor Shelby .I  forgot which production number he got they only produced 500 for that year. At any rate he tested that supercharged v8 on every mountain or switchback road he could find on the way home he is still grinning

I bought a tractor once from a guy in Wisconsin. I was having it hauled here and the hauler goes off grid on me. No text, email or phone calls were returned. Had to got WI sheriff's from two separate counties involved to find it. Thankfully the seller took a picture of the truck's license plate. Once the sheriff's deputy find it, I flew out next day, rented a U-Haul and trailer, and brought it home. It is an OS-4.

It was only 1100 miles coming back, but it was in a U-Haul, "limited" at 55 MPH, and I had to drive through the Chicago-ish area. It sucked.

• Like 1

Couldn't help but notice no one has admitted to coming to Missouri to buy rusted out worn out junk. I know you have cause somebody is bidding me up

• Haha 2
58 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Couldn't help but notice no one has admitted to coming to Missouri to buy rusted out worn out junk. I know you have cause somebody is bidding me up

Been looking there, haven't closed a deal on anything though..................

KWRB, one thing I learned is to only good reputable haulers that do commercial work.  I bought a Gator in MN and the guy I normally use with drop decks and detachables of-course isn't going to screw with it.  Posted the load on ytmag and a guy got ahold of me.  Offered to do it almost immediately for not much, since I didn't pay much for the gator I thought what the heck.  He showed up here(I am at the base of a mountain), with the brakes smoking, gooseneck trailer overloaded with a 643 corn head, 2510 Deere, and the gator sideways on the back and to top it off the trailer had a flat tire.  Had to get the skidloader to lift the gator off the way it was sitting in the trailer.  Then the guy had no tools to change the flat.  So me and my brother did that for him.  Then he leaves here after dark and pulled out our township road onto a state road right infront of a off duty cop on a motorcycle, and the trailer had no side markers working.  The cop hit the trailer and him and the bike ended up in the ditch, guy either didn't know what happened or said the heck with it and fled.  The state cops ended up finally pulling him over at the county line and I guess alot of issues were found.  During all this I found he was Chris Brunswold's(Crook from the word go) hauler which explained everything.............And that 2510 was not the "Low hour original" I seen for sale online for sure.  Needless to say, no work for him from me every again.  Have used my normal guy since with zero complaints.

• Like 1