Found a tilt deck gooseneck trailer for $1000. It needs the trailer frame welded up by the axle, it's getting rusted out. The bed and gooseneck is where it tilts at. It's got single tire axles on it. Thinking it's 7000 lb axles. The tilt is supposedly slow. Think it's be worth a look? Any good/ bad about a tilt bed trailer? 

hows the wiring, tires, hitch its self, brakes, floor? used trailers can be a money pit. i like tilts but would never have one with a metal floor and even with a wood floor and snow/ice they can be a bear

Rust is generally what kills trailers. If this thing has corroded to the point of needing weld repair in one place, there's probably a whole lot of other places waiting to happen.

If I was thinking about driving 4 hours to buy a trailer, it would have to be one heck of a smoking deal and be something that was road ready with the pictures to prove it. 

Can’t get much for a grand anymore and a tilt deck trailer is the way to go for loading autos and tractors. I would expect it to need extensive work if you were to buy it and if you didn’t mind putting the time in on replacing maybe some cross members and I beams then go for it. Definitely be a nice trailer when it’s done but what’s your time worth. It might not need that much work either but what’s a newer tilt trailer with that length worth. I’d guess 7-10 grand so it might be pretty ate up. 

Could be the way this picture is but it looks like the gooseneck hitch has been broken and welded and the jack is bent at 45°. Because of our location and the chemicals used on the road around here anything that needs repair/reinforcement under the trailer deck is usually a real good candidate for the scrap yard.

As stated earlier it depends on how you value your time and how much work you want to put into it. If the trailer is 4 hours away you'll have an entire day spent just going to look at it and drag it home assuming you don't have any issues on the road. That's about 10 hours into it and you've only gotten it to your house and haven't done any work to it yet.

For me it would be a hard no, but I'm just one man without very much free time.

I would need lots more pics before I drove that far.  Never seen big singles like that on a trailer, none around here for sure.   Not sure I have seen a gooseneck that long that tilts but haven't looked either.   Seems odd to me.

Now if I had bitty or finney skills..........

I gotta say if it was me I'd drive the 4 hours you will never know if don't spend a day out of your life to at least go look,  A $1000. is chea

Let me know what you decide 

2 hours ago, 756puller said:

im not sure just the idea of being able to have the bed tilt up and be able to pull a tractor on seems appealing.

They are appealing if all you do is winch things on. Try and load a tractor with a little bit of snow or a heavy dew on the wood deck and tell me how great it seems.

I just about died at Fall Harvest Days tractor pull in Union Grove, WI (same site as RPRU) and sold my POS tilt bed by spring.  NEVER again will I own a deck over tilt bed.

If you can afford to flip it over and sand blast bottom and flip it back and blast the top, then repair and repaint.

• Like 1

I once rented a tilt-deck tandem  bumper-tow 10K 18' tilt deck quite often from United Rental, After renting it for a week on a job, I asked about their sale system. They would have sold the trailer to me when I returned it for 2500. more dollars than the weeks rent.  That trailer was in very-good rental shape.  it was not a power tilt trailer but more of a self tilt-load trailer. The style where when the equipment is loaded the body becomes a loading ramp. At the time I thought the price was too high BUT a year later later my cheaper purchased trailer had cost me more money and didn't even tilt, new floor brakes bearings a a wrap-around tie-down rack cost $$ and time that just escalates when into a trailer project.  Just changing the trail from farm to commercial is unexpected $.

Friends have put more miles on my bumper pull tilt than i have. Mine has been very handy it is just a 7K 16 footer. Never loaded anything while deck was slimy though . Thought I wanted a heavier one to haul my 13k dozer on but maybe I don't sure don't to slide that off

24 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

Screenshot9520210114-12283695Instagram.jpg

I don't know, everyone around here must have a gooseneck hitch because just as many want to borrow it as my bumper pull ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn’t look bad for the price, any chance you could encourage someone from here to look at it first?

The bad, I’m not crazy about the tilt geometry if it breaks at the gooseneck and then how that locks, pivots and loads, homemade and the weld quality and finally the corrosion and how widespread and in a bad location at the axles if there is indeed a good location for rust

8 hours ago, 756puller said:

Found a tilt deck gooseneck trailer for $1000. It needs the trailer frame welded up by the axle, it's getting rusted out. The bed and gooseneck is where it tilts at. It's got single tire axles on it. Thinking it's 7000 lb axles. The tilt is supposedly slow. Think it's be worth a look? Any good/ bad about a tilt bed trailer? 

are you sure thats a tilt deck it looks more like a tilt tail - depends a lot on what you plan to haul and how far and how often and etc.....

how much equipment/tools/skills do you have to do the work yourself? its going to take money, knowledge, equipment, and skills to get it done. 

Worth it? that's debatable till the cows come home, me I would pass because for my use it wouldn't suit my needs even when finished and I wouldnt want to go thru all that just to be able to flip it and by something else that would work.