What would you do?

zleinenbach

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I understand it is not a cheap venture for the mechanic.  But, $20K is waaaay above and beyond parts and labor unless you are replacing every part piece by piece with factory new one at a time. 

what is your estimate?

38 minutes ago, rustred said:

crate engine and installation i believe it will happen. complete cab is removed and sitting up in the rafters . then the engine R & R starts. then the cab is lowered and re -installed. so regardless even removing the head and doing any engine work the cab need to come off.  so even a fix on the old engine can be 10k.

My landlords shop where I live works almost exclusively on Ford diesels. They drop trans and pull engine out don’t even take the hood off. 4-5 hours engine out change over ancillary parts re install. Around 2k labor, figure another 1500 for fluids and hoses and misc parts and one of those 6k engines from Asheville that already had arp studs and fire ringed if you want. 9k should do it. Landlord buys 4 and 550 with 6.0’s off construction company here for 3500, bulletproof them sells them to landscapers for 12k.

• Like 1

Price may be directly related to how much the shop wants to do a 6.0 R&R and warranty the job.  

• Like 1

Some shops that did a lot of PS work had a dedicated guy for those, they were fast pulling cabs in a fraction of the time that the book shows and bills hours out at

Here’s a couple pictures to attempt to show what I’m talking about. They took to Ford dealer and seconded the dead cylinder diagnosis. They removed one injector and capped line and it is still dumping raw fuel out exhaust.

71F2C63E-179E-4DC2-BBAB-BAFD1D917F0D.jpeg

9273105A-777B-4CED-A70A-82783D3C34AE.jpeg

i had 2 cracked injectors at two different times on my 03 6.0 one at about 285K and another at about 340K - both caused rough running at idle and lots of smoke under load/driving. 

i drove one about 120 miles before having repaired and the other around 50 miles. Neither damaged engine luckily. 

If you are down a cylinder its repairable most likely but there again you are going to either dump $$ into the truck or not. 

20K is ridiculous - shop here that I would trust unequivocally would rebuild yours or replace as desired for much less depending on which way you go 

6.0 are good engines once bulletproofed. It would be an accountants decision if it were my business as he would advise on best move for financial reasons for the company. 

No concerns about rear end or trannie on an 03 or with those miles if its been taken care of. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Here’s a couple pictures to attempt to show what I’m talking about. They took to Ford dealer and seconded the dead cylinder diagnosis. They removed one injector and capped line and it is still dumping raw fuel out exhaust.

71F2C63E-179E-4DC2-BBAB-BAFD1D917F0D.jpeg

9273105A-777B-4CED-A70A-82783D3C34AE.jpeg

I tell ya what, it is definitely not something to fix, you tell the bossman ill be there in about 4 days to get it out of there, you dont want that sort of junk hanging around, gives the company a bad name.... mind if a grab a couple winks in the barn there overnight? Long trip back. 

9 hours ago, rustred said:

what is your estimate?

Sorry, I just saw this. I’m not a mechanic by trade but I would think that half or $10K would more than get it done a lot of places. 

16 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i had 2 cracked injectors at two different times on my 03 6.0 one at about 285K and another at about 340K - both caused rough running at idle and lots of smoke under load/driving. 

i drove one about 120 miles before having repaired and the other around 50 miles. Neither damaged engine luckily. 

If you are down a cylinder its repairable most likely but there again you are going to either dump $$ into the truck or not. 

20K is ridiculous - shop here that I would trust unequivocally would rebuild yours or replace as desired for much less depending on which way you go 

6.0 are good engines once bulletproofed. It would be an accountants decision if it were my business as he would advise on best move for financial reasons for the company. 

No concerns about rear end or trannie on an 03 or with those miles if its been taken care of. 

I either drove or sat shotgun for majority of miles. I worked here for 10 years, this truck had 3,000 miles when  they got it, and it had a bunch of work done around the 120k mark if I remember right. Something about salesmen convinced them to run 10k oil changes with synthetic oil ( I AM NOT TRYING TO INSINUATE ANYTHING) and it clogged injector cooler ports and Grenaded a bunch of stuff. 
the cab corners are gone and door seals leak a bit but other than that it works fine.

im just not convinced in the sincerity of either shops intentions is all. 

20 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I tell ya what, it is definitely not something to fix, you tell the bossman ill be there in about 4 days to get it out of there, you dont want that sort of junk hanging around, gives the company a bad name.... mind if a grab a couple winks in the barn there overnight? Long trip back. 

If they decide to sell it I’ll fire heater up in camper! To the left of red truck in picture is bathroom w/shower and all. 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

didnt you say in YOUR own post, you were going to buy a reliable truck from now on....Bussines, Lease  thats what all the medium btos are doing. neighbor was getting a new one EVERY 3500 miles (3-6 weeks with 7 sites) now they limit it to 4x yr

6.0 has to be saved when low/0 miles,otherwise forever needs $$$

there WAS a shop within 100 mi,  that was 90% of their business before CV

sister Co. had 10 they ALL had numerous issues $$$$$ and LOOONG gone

ours with 30K mi grenaded  idling in front of barn  $8K UNDER cheap warranty,then it went bye bye

here is a region ad

Selling a good take out 2006 6.0 liter engine complete take out. Exact replacement for 05, 06 and 07 trucks. Also recommended replacement for 03 and 04 6.0 engines. Head Studded. New Head gaskets. Heads cooked, checked and resurfaced to Ford Specs. Complete with injectors, turbo, manifolds, oil pan, front cover with water pump and crank pulley, etc. Will fit Ford Superduty F250 F350 F450 F550. Also has EGR delete installed. $3,900. exchange.  Delivery available. Installation available also.  details and more info. Installation in most Ford F-Series trucks is $2000. including fluids.  We can pick up your truck and haul to our shop for repairs. Also have engines for E250, E350 and E450 

About five years ago our rural fire, 06 F550 had engine problems. About $17,500 later it went out the door with Ford reman . I think engine alone was about $12,500. The truck only had about 6,000 miles on it then, and probably less than 10,000 now, but it still is serving its purpose and hopefully keeps going a few more years.

6 hours ago, mmi said:

didnt you say in YOUR own post, you were going to buy a reliable truck from now on....Bussines, Lease  thats what all the medium btos are doing. neighbor was getting a new one EVERY 3500 miles (3-6 weeks with 7 sites) now they limit it to 4x yr

I want the body 

8 hours ago, wild one said:

About five years ago our rural fire, 06 F550 had engine problems. About $17,500 later it went out the door with Ford reman . I think engine alone was about $12,500. The truck only had about 6,000 miles on it then, and probably less than 10,000 now, but it still is serving its purpose and hopefully keeps going a few more years.

that is a huge problem for diesels - sitting is not good on the newer ones with all the emissions stuff either - VGTs do not like sitting no matter the brand - best thing you can ever do is use them, id have gassers on a rural fire dept for sure

On 1/14/2021 at 8:02 AM, 1965Dennis said:

Does it have factory bed? If so, look under the bed at the cross supports. A friend has a 2003 dually that all the supports are trash. Rest of the truck is real good shape so he is going with a flatbed. If your bed is rusted, time for a different truck. 

If the owner is set on keeping the truck and it is in good shape, what about a Cummins swap? Another friend (first friend's son-in-law) did the swap for somewhere around $10,000.

My 2003 dually has the bed supports rotted out too!  The rest of the truck is flawless.

Shop in my area does 6.0's almost exclusively ,  Head studs ,egr delete or upgrade , , $3200 

Usually 4 or 5 in the shop at any given time . He has themdown to a Science .

On 1/14/2021 at 7:02 AM, bitty said:

Round here it would all ready be rusted out from the salt cancer so consider yourself lucky to have to make a choice ...

Yup.  Floppy bed quarters, no rockers, half missing tailgate, bed not even sitting level on the frame anymore, etc. 

I wouldn't put a dime into it. Try to sell it- if that doesn't get you anywhere to the scrap yard it goes. 

Consider how much is wrong (and needs fixing in the very near future) with the rest of the truck. 20K for an eng. & swap is highway robbery. $6-8 sounds about right for a rebuilt/crate and maybe $1000 for someone to swap, if you can't do it yourself.  Dependent upon the size truck a new may cost $50-85,000. 

I worked with a guy years ago that had a car with "issues".  He loved the economical and efficient work car but he decided to buy a new truck. For the sales tax he paid for the new truck he could have paid to completely rebuild every part on the old car with money left over. Plus his insurance would have cost him 1/3rd as much.... To say nothing if the increased fuel costs for the "new" truck..... New ain't always better!

On 1/14/2021 at 4:59 AM, zleinenbach said:

2003 6.0 Powerstroke work truck I drive has 256,000 miles in it. In decent shape, except for the injector that decided to let go and cause catastrophic failure to motor, according to mechanic working on it. They did not tear into motor, but one cylinder has ZERO compression. They quoted $20 grand to slam a crate motor in their. Here’s my question. Out of following options, which do you choose? 
A: Scrap is high, junk the truck

B: Fix whatever it may be on current motor

c put new motor in and hope the truck gets another 256k

Here is a RUST Free 2006 F550 with a 6.0 Bullet proof motor, 163k miles $18,500 (I am sure $12-15k would buy it.)

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lake-havasu-city-4x4-ford-f550-service/7255444105.html

Our fleet manager at work says there are a bunch of studies out there that say 7 years is the best turn around point for a light truck. Spend the least on repairs, get the most on resale. Probably true, but I'm betting most companies that didn't follow that years ago would never have the money it would take now to upgrade to that point.

17 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Our fleet manager at work says there are a bunch of studies out there that say 7 years is the best turn around point for a light truck. Spend the least on repairs, get the most on resale. Probably true, but I'm betting most companies that didn't follow that years ago would never have the money it would take now to upgrade to that point.

I’d say you’re right or even lower if the trucks are service body vehicles

• 3 weeks later...