Oil question on a different color.

ArkLa 1086

I was looking for a D6C or D6D and came across an early 70's D8H for 22k only 85 miles from home.  Bigger than I needed but price was right and it has been taken care of. It cranked on a 35 degree day without using glow plugs and exhaust cleared up in 30 seconds and ran/steered as it should and the previous owner had it for 20 years and traded it in on an excavator. Motor has been rebuilt previously, newer starter and reman Cat turbo. As usual I will be changing ALL fluids & filters from front to rear and taking samples and was wondering if people here with experience use the Cat brand 30wt TDTO oil in transmission or some other top shelf oil instead? I know this is a dangerous question but the nearest CAT dealer is 90 miles and I'm only going to be putting 100-200 hours on it before I'm done and selling it. Just wanted to get advice from the guys who have experience with the bigger Cats.

I have had a lot of older cats 8 H was my favorite I have run Cen Pe Co oils for 35 plus years Any top line oil that meets or exceeds cats speck will be fine

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have had a lot of older cats 8 H was my favorite I have run Cen Pe Co oils for 35 plus years Any top line oil that meets or exceeds cats speck will be fine

I can't find Cenpeco down here where I live. I've looked after seeing it mentioned many times on here. Is it something that I can buy by the barrel and have it shipped or would it be just as high as Caterpillar oil by then?

1 minute ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

I can't find Cenpeco down here where I live. I've looked after seeing it mentioned many times on here. Is it something that I can buy by the barrel and have it shipped or would it be just as high as Caterpillar oil by then?

It is going to run more $ than the cat oil

where your going to run it short hours and if it's not dirty get 5 gallons of cat oil and keep it toped off.  as far as the engine oil any top line oil that meets the spec is fine or cat

• Thanks 1

I order a hard to find locally a equivalent (Mobil 600 w ) from PSC on line. Delivered to the house . There is another oil on line oil vendor , forget there name. They offer nice selections, with readable specifications an application 

19 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I order a hard to find locally a equivalent (Mobil 600 w ) from PSC on line. Delivered to the house . There is another oil on line oil vendor , forget there name. They offer nice selections, with readable specifications an application 

Forgive my ignorance but what is PSC?

• Like 1

Cat spec is a 30wt TDTO. (Transmission and Drive Train Oil)

A Hytran style oil will work fine if in general duty use and is Cat approved as an alternative. 

That old of a machine, any oil with enough viscosity to lubricate, but not too thick to pump will work. Back in the day, lots of contractors just filled everything with the same oil as what was used in the engine. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is PSC?

Sorry here is a link to there site so you can select a lubricant.https://petroleumservicecompany.com I've purchase oil from  them , psc  is petroleum service company 

here’s another one , I have not bought from https://www.thelubricantstore.com

• Thanks 1