Need some info on truck registrations in Virginia

I am new to Virginia and need some advice on pickup and trailer registrations.  I have a pickup registered for 10K lbs, say I want to pull an equipment trailer that grosses 12k with a tractor or skid steer on it.  The DMV says I need to register the truck commercially for 20 or 22k.  OK, so I try to register the pickup for that and they won't do it because it exceeds the GVWR of the truck.  I ask if they mean the GCWR and they say no, they can't do it.

???

So what do you guys who tow utility trailers have for registrations on the pickups in Virginia?  How does this actually work?

That's what I thought.  I'd try going back again and again until I got someone who would do what I need but you need an appointment and that takes weeks to get.  What a mess.  Maybe I can do it by mail - thanks guys!

You could just stick a "Farm Use" tag on it and go, if ya feel like it.  I see a bunch of em in SW VA.  No registration, no inspection, almost as good as being in TN...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/confused-about-va-towing-weights-dmv-registration-gross-weight-for-my-3500-ram-187529.html

I've tried to get the "answer" to this question a number of times. The above thread shows the complexity of the issue. I've talked to state police and DMV people and gotten different answers from all of them. What I have done for years is to register the truck and trailer for the respective gross weights on their titles and call it good. Right now that means 9200 on the 2500HD and 14,000 on the 24' gooseneck. I have never been stopped so have no idea if that would net me a ticket or not. Anything heavy I haul is agriculture based which there are exemptions for. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks @TN Hillbilly and @yellowrosefarm I will update the thread when I either get a definitive answer (unlikely), get a ticket (more likely), or finally convince my wife to move a few hours farther south to TN (family drew us up here).

We actually almost bought a pretty little farm in northeast TN and for me originally from New York the freedom there was overwhelming!  Ah, maybe some day...