Most expensive classic tractor......

7 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

at one point Ford had over 75% of the market share.  Ford owned the neighborhood.  

With the heated seat they were way ahead of their time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
18 hours ago, cedar farm said:

That ended up being bought by a local guy. The head of our local threshing bee called me up looking for a delco generator for a udlx. I said I will come over and take a look. Oddball generator that is gear driven off the timing gears. I jokingly said to him "it has a magneto, give it a full charge and you will get 20-25 starts out of it" I got the response "pay 100,000 and some thousand for a tractor, I want it to charge" They found a guy to rebuild it and it was at the show this summer. Beautiful tractor.

Here is the one my family owned and is still alive and well in Charles City , Iowa .

96551931_10218753172123916_7262845609420259328_n.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

With the heated seat they were way ahead of their time 

They had a problem with the rear axle 

The worm drive was located at the top under the driver's seat.

During heavy operation the heat became unbearable to the operator. 

They had a lot of other problems with the early Fordsons  

One farmer in 1921 listed repair costs totaling $1,301 for 620 hours of work.

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

They had a problem with the rear axle 

The worm drive was located at the top under the driver's seat.

During heavy operation the heat became unbearable to the operator. 

They had a lot of other problems with the early Fordsons  

One farmer in 1921 listed repair costs totaling $1,301 for 620 hours of work.

Wow.  Thats actually kind of surprising considering the Fordson was technology wise more advanced then the Waterloo Boy or the IH Titan and Moguls since everything was enclosed not exposed.  Just for comparison one testimonial from a JD farmer in 1939 says he averaged $6 per year for service/maintenance/repairs on his D for 13 years.  I thought only the prototypes had the worm drive on the top and the production models had them on the bottom.  Anyways here are a few pics for people who don't what we are talking about.  2nd pic is an aftermarket spur gear final drive offered by the Hamilton company.  

AC1B6867-49E9-494E-98E3-2F6A8C398815.jpeg

B5E03D38-7565-4322-8443-90E1C21B4902.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Wow.  Thats actually kind of surprising considering the Fordson was technology wise more advanced then the Waterloo Boy or the IH Titan and Moguls since everything was enclosed not exposed.  Just for comparison one testimonial from a JD farmer in 1939 says he averaged $6 per year for service/maintenance/repairs on his D for 13 years.  I thought only the prototypes had the worm drive on the top and the production models had them on the bottom.  Anyways here are a few pics for people who don't what we are talking about.  2nd pic is an aftermarket spur gear final drive offered by the Hamilton company.  

The story I have read is they built 5,000 with the worm drive on the top above the ring gear then changed the design and put the worm drive on the bottom

When this was done there were claims the tractor would flip easier because torque was lifting the front end and nearly 100 farmers were killed in flip over accidents 

Water and oil pumps the  Model T used  were eliminated in favor of the simpler thermosiphon cooling and splash lubrication which lead to engine failures. 

These problems tarnished the Fordson reputation and ended up giving IHC a reliability advantage and they eventually gained the sales advantage.    

Original Design 

Model T Ford Forum: OT - can you pull start a 1919 Fordson tractor?

New design

image.png.2abba71c5d5fe75feb13dc719d043fe9.png

On 1/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, 1480x3 said:

The Graham Sellers collection, July 25 2020, Coldwater Michigan, Auman Actions on site & online. Nichols & Shepard 235,000. Rumley 180,000. About 40 more steamers, oil pulls, gas, and his 3588 he bought new.

I didn't know there was anybody around here with stuff like THAT!

1 hour ago, IH OAK said:

I didn't know there was anybody around here with stuff like THAT!

Did you scroll through all 6 or 7 pages ?  Graham had an eye for value. He sold his BIG steamers while living along with semi, lowboy, etc. Not into that vintage of stuff myself, but IIRC his biggest was a Case 100 or 110 HP steam traction engine. Seen it on a big plow a few times and also on the pulling sled a couple times.

• Confused 1