7120 magnum on 1770 16 row vac

Ive been looking at 16 row planters. I had my heart set on a finger pickup but may have an opportunity to buy a neighbors john deere 1770 16 row vac planter, which is probably one of the nicest, well maintained 1770's out there. He used to pull it with a 4640. Does my 7120 have enough hyd capacity to run this planter?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, jdetig1 said:

Ive been looking at 16 row planters. I had my heart set on a finger pickup but may have an opportunity to buy a neighbors john deere 1770 16 row vac planter, which is probably one of the nicest, well maintained 1770's out there. He used to pull it with a 4640. Does my 7120 have enough hyd capacity to run this planter?

Maybe . You definitely want the zero pressure return. Our old 8 row 7200 would heat the magnum oil on a warm day. There is a way to set them up also. Maybe they have to be set on open center for the pfc hydraulics. It has been discussed on here before.

• Like 1

This is actual hyd capacity between the 2. The JD planter was set for closed center JD hyd.it has been discussed here before how make a magnum work on a planter. Notice the 4640 has 1 gum more flow. A magnum will not run a older JD planter well  unless you adjust the open or closed center valve.

B0DDCE7D-54CE-4287-BA83-B9FCBC0E5E5C.png

BFA03B5F-5525-4057-8C43-C2DA3F0E5714.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dale560 said:

This is actual hyd capacity between the 2. The JD planter was set for closed center JD hyd.it has been discussed here before how make a magnum work on a planter. Notice the 4640 has 1 gum more flow. A magnum will not run a older JD planter well  unless you adjust the open or closed center valve.

B0DDCE7D-54CE-4287-BA83-B9FCBC0E5E5C.png

BFA03B5F-5525-4057-8C43-C2DA3F0E5714.png

Deere is flowed at a lower pressure if I remember correctly if you dropped the pressure the magnum was glowed at it would produce more

Ours was a early magnum 2 reverse. It would run the sprayer okay but the hydraulics were slow on functions with pump running. The 7200 vac planter would heat it bad. But we were running it with jd tractor hookups. 

44 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Ours was a early magnum 2 reverse. It would run the sprayer okay but the hydraulics were slow on functions with pump running. The 7200 vac planter would heat it bad. But we were running it with jd tractor hookups. 

That one I had was a early one...............I would say it would run a 16 row vac, as long as you only had the vac motors, markers and lift and nothing else............And then she will lift both the frame and markers like a slug.  Those early ones hydraulics were horrible.  We tried it on the tomato harvester, between shifting, braking, turning, and running the harvester hydraulics which had more than acouple functions going at the same time via an electric switch box and electro-hydraulic valve bank, it was enough that I wanted to pull the pin and drive it into the river.  

It will run it but lift will be slow, those planters will always lift slow to some extent.  Each of the vaccum motors will require 5 gpm, remove any flow control device on the planter and use the tractors flow control valve to regulate the flow.  

A customer here has a 7110 MFD, early one with 2 reverses on a 7200 vac 16 row. Seems to get by fine, but it's the only tractor he's had on it. He uses his 7220 for tillage, maybe he should swap them around. 

33 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

When I had had my 7200 I had a PTO pump. That really works well. Even better than that is my red planter now.

It's hard for me to imagine you owning a green piece of equipment. Did you do all your planting at night so the neighbors didn't see you? 

Your 7120 will run the planterjust fine if you set your flow control properly. Put a pressure gauge in the motor supply line  you have to keep the pressure under 2000 psi or you will lock the flow out of the pump where you have it set at . I have set a lot  of  Deere planters on Magum tractors when I  worked at the dealership send me a PM if you more information. 

The current owner had a pto pump for it because he was told his 4640 didn’t have enough hydraulic to run it. The pto pump broke down mid season so he plugged the hydraulics into the tractor to see if it would work. After that he never used the pto pump again.

13 minutes ago, jdetig1 said:

The current owner had a pto pump for it because he was told his 4640 didn’t have enough hydraulic to run it. The pto pump broke down mid season so he plugged the hydraulics into the tractor to see if it would work. After that he never used the pto pump again.

4640 should have run that no issues................Know alot of guys around me who were running 1770's on 50, 55, and 60 series Deeres and were running alot more than the vac motors, markers, and lift and got along well although the lift was a bit slow.  Heck one local bought a 1770 that was hauled around by Deere to farm shows with alot of hydlraulic stuff on it, they were going to run their 4430 with hydraulic front MFD(Big Hydraulic pump) and the precision sales guys just laughed, would never run it..................Well they weren't laughing when they got to the field and guess what was sitting in front of it.  Supprisingly it did run it, they planted acouple years with it.

So I have another question. The planter has 2 vac motors. Would it be better to run the vac motors off 2 separate remotes with the returns teed into the case drain, or tee the vac motor lines together and run them off one hyd outlet? I guess what im wondering is should i run them both off #1 priority outlet or run them separate on #2 and #3 and lift on #1. 

1 hour ago, jdetig1 said:

So I have another question. The planter has 2 vac motors. Would it be better to run the vac motors off 2 separate remotes with the returns teed into the case drain, or tee the vac motor lines together and run them off one hyd outlet? I guess what im wondering is should i run them both off #1 priority outlet or run them separate on #2 and #3 and lift on #1. 

Not sure on this but a lot of times return from motor 1 is input to run motor 2. It gets tough on motor1 seal but usually that’s how fan hyd motors are setup

On our 1770 each vac motor run off separate outlet with return tee’d to case drain. Each motor has its own vac gauge and have to flow control each differently depending on leakage and wear. 

John

I just thought I’d throw this out there you know what 7120 would look really nice hooked up to a 900 cyclo air corn planter!!   Everybody says they don’t plant good I don’t know I’ve had good luck just got to give them a little maintenance!! But shhhhh don’t tell anyone they work good because they’re cheap!!!!