Our 1985 6788 is in the shop, for a ta replacement and also there is a bearing going out in rear end or somewhere inside not sure yet.  Anyway where is the best place to get a ta really don't want to go thru Case IH but if they are the best then we will, but just looking for cheaper alternatives.

In my opinion, AG Parts. CIH T/A's are junk. 

Honestly, if you have it 8n the shop for the T/A, I hope it isn't at a dealer.  Unless that dealer has an older tech working on it familiar with 2+2's.  Then it would be ok.  6788 is rare.  Some of the rear end parts are one of a kind. 

We have a case i h t a, we have high capacity ta, and we have AG Parts TA's. None of them have very many hours on them or hard use but we have had trouble with none. The Ag Parts one was around $700, the high capacity one was somewhere around 1300 dollars oh, and the Case IH was around 1400 dollars. I would go egg Parts every single time from here out from what I have seen and the warranty is better.

Just did a 1586 TA.  Got TA from  hy capacity for $800, gaskets $85. It's heavy duty with larger sprag also, mcv  spring kit $35. And new Hy  Tran oil won't be cheap either.