Is anyone here familiar with North Central Florida?

Cattech

My brother owned a 9 acre place in PACE Fl up West of Pensacola. The Panhandle is also acceptable and Pensacola is not controlled by tourism with an industrial presence.

I spent Christmas of 2010 with him, We needed the AC on  Christmas week. A common nail left on the ground would be rusty in 3 days, that is life in the Panhandle.  And in the late spring it is hotter and  a little  muggy. Every few years a Hurricane would come in but but they basically did more tree damage than anything else. Joining property was a dairy with nice pastures, someone has to feed the tourist!

He made a living for many years (1988-2018) running a small long-haul trucking outfit.

Beaches and boats and green piney woods all around and east/west north/south interstate access.  North to NYNY or West to Dallas just a Day or so away. Perfect Logistics  He ran a heavyhaul rig powered by a detroit 60 tuned at 500 HP  all the way to Bremerton/Seattle more than once.

11 hours ago, Norton1256 said:

I live in the panhandle, just below Alabama near Marianna,FL...we moved down from western NY in 2017 for dairy farming...been doing it my whole life. We really like it here. The people are laid back down to earth and friendly..yes it gets hot in the summer, but you seem to get used to it much like you do the cold... I'm not going back north

Probably the only part of Florida I'd consider. I heard Cottondale's got a restura nt now.

My wife's sister and her husband live in St Augustine. He is a retired Air Force physician working at a hospital there. They lived all over the country during his military career and and could have gone anywhere, but picked there. Needless to say, they love it. Like most coastal dwellers, they recognize the hurricane danger and evacuate when necessary, but don't really spend a lot of time worrying about it. I took my wife to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville a couple of times when she was sick. It was the middle of summer, but I found the climate there nicer than where I live in Virginia. I think it's close enough to the ocean to be more moderate. We also went to a hospital in Tampa and drove through Gainesville getting there. Tampa I did not like at all, people or climate. Gainesville is a college town, with all that implies. My nephews wife is from the panhandle and from what she says, that is the part of FL to live in. I wanted to go to their wedding, but they had it on Memorial day in Panama city on pretty short notice. It is far for us anyway and the holiday traffic/lack of accommodations kept us from trying it.  My brother lived in south central FL around Arcadia for a long time. We visited him once and did not like it at all. Mostly orange groves, trailer parks and old people. That was where he was bushhogging a field, hit a snake, and by the time he got back around to it, the fire ants had completely stripped the flesh off the bones. Also, tons of mosquito's and other biting insects. You couldn't pay me to live there.  The thing that annoyed him the most was that because FL didn't have an income tax, they relied on "fees" for funding. Every little thing required a permit and a fee of some sort, along with sales taxes.  

On 1/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Cattech said:

My recent injuries have zapped my tolerance for cold weather.

Last yr, while I was bundled up plowing my driveway for the 3rd time in a week, I was thinking it was a job I could just as well do without.

Over the last decade my interest in riding snowmobile has shifted somewhat to ATVs and I find myself looking more & more at boats.

So, as I sit here staring out the window at the blanket of snow, I find myself wondering why I stay in this forsaken state as it slowly slides into communism. With my skillset and experience, I can get a job at a Cat dealer anywhere. 

FL is rated better for taxes in every way. Much nicer climate. No matter where you are in the state it's 2 hours or less to a coastal beach.

Land looks very affordable in the Gainesville/Lake City area, and that should be far enough inland to not be hurricane prone. Anybody have more direct experience with the area?

Oh

How is the burn doing?

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Oh

How is the burn doing?

Doing good. When I look back at the pictures and realize they were taken only two months ago it's quite remarkable really.

Only real bummer is that the skin graft areas will need lotion and extra sun precautions for life. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cattech said:

Doing good. When I look back at the pictures and realize they were taken only two months ago it's quite remarkable really.

Only real bummer is that the skin graft areas will need lotion and extra sun precautions for life. 

Wonder if the humidity would help that part, sun is always bad in the warm areas whether its dry Arizona or humid panhandle of fla.   Tennessee is a nice area, east is more hills, little greener and cooler.  Central has a mix of both and the west is flat row crop and the warmest area.   50-30 high and low today, pretty average for this time of year.   Ground was white Monday morning,  was gone off the grass by 10.  Plenty of humidity here in the summer, tornado season tends to be late jan through april.    

It will be interesting to find out how humidity affects things.. The skin grafts no longer have sweat ducts and cannot produce skin oils, thus needing to apply lotion for life. So IDK how comfortable I'm going to find heat. After this next summer, I may be considering moving next door to AKwelder or doing a tour of duty in Antarctica.

They basically told me I will sunburn easily in any place that burnt but can also attain frostbite faster than I will know what hit me. Areas that were burned and just healed will get back to normal in 2-5 yrs, grafts are not so fortunate.... If only there was a place that's 72f and mostly cloudy yr round, good on taxes, nice scenery,  and not an island in the middle of an ocean.

I do have motivation to stay where I'm at. Good paying job in a stable company. And more important, my ol' man is still with us... that isn't going to last forever.

Anyways, it's good to look at options and a nice topic other than politics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

It seems most of the participants on Cops were in Florida......

now was that because of the local population, or because the camera crews liked the weather during filming season?

Your choice in January..... film Ice Road Truckers in North Alaska or Cops in South Florida. hmm.

• Like 1

Get a place to live  on Point Loma, San Diego CA and you can enjoy some of the most consistent weather in the US.  I spent 2 years there in the 60's. If I could have afforded to live there I would be there now.  5 miles away could be 15 degrees warmer in the summer. Almost worth being in Ca.

We went to visit my wife's Grandma in McAllen TX about 15 years ago...In August. 108 degrees at 1 PM. Not for me pal! We went up to San Antonio for part of the week and that was awful too. 

For me i think Kansas City or southern Kansas, Missouri or Arkansas would be far enough south. 

I have a niece that moved to North Carolina last summer from South Dakota. 2 weeks later she got to experience a hurricane.