Is anyone here familiar with North Central Florida?

Cattech

My recent injuries have zapped my tolerance for cold weather.

Last yr, while I was bundled up plowing my driveway for the 3rd time in a week, I was thinking it was a job I could just as well do without.

Over the last decade my interest in riding snowmobile has shifted somewhat to ATVs and I find myself looking more & more at boats.

So, as I sit here staring out the window at the blanket of snow, I find myself wondering why I stay in this forsaken state as it slowly slides into communism. With my skillset and experience, I can get a job at a Cat dealer anywhere. 

FL is rated better for taxes in every way. Much nicer climate. No matter where you are in the state it's 2 hours or less to a coastal beach.

Land looks very affordable in the Gainesville/Lake City area, and that should be far enough inland to not be hurricane prone. Anybody have more direct experience with the area?

Nice and warm with to much humidity for me. I could fill a swimming pool in their summer weather as much as I sweat. People were as nice as anywhere with lots of them around everywhere. Down around Orlando in the early fall I believe it rains almost every afternoon 

How bout balmy Nebraska winters??

Close enough for the occasional Kristi Noem sighting too.?

IMG_20210111_130934741.thumb.jpg.9eb68019e77e7c06e3f243bf2b2bbdc7.jpg

Oh, um, don't bother looking any farther out in the forecast, nothing to see.,..,........      ??

I'm not a fan of FL myself...too humid, flat, and ugly.  As far as FL goes, that Gainesville-area is about as scenic as it gets. 

I hate to break it to you, but hurricanes have amazing reach.  While that area may spare you a bit in the wind speed department, you can still be severely battered.

In my opinion, Ring Power can use more people with old fashioned, common sense.  I find their people to have less competence than the average Cat dealer.

For selfish reasons: If you are looking to rid yourself of your Polaris widetrack, please let me know.  I’d take it off you hands for you.

As far as going south, I’d look south west personally.   Or like Carolinas, eastern Tennessee area if you are set on South East.

12 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

For selfish reasons: If you are looking to rid yourself of your Polaris widetrack, please let me know.  I’d take it off you hands for you.

As far as going south, I’d look south west personally.   Or like Carolinas, eastern Tennessee area if you are set on South East.

@Cattech Heck, even if you aren’t leaving MN and want to sell your sled, shoot me a PM.

Like my dad said, FL is great while we are having a winter...................While we are having a summer, it is about like being locked up in H*ll there.  When I was down there years back we were having a snow storm here, I was in shorts and my wife was in her string bikini and it was 80 degrees and sunny, the locals were freezing:lol:

......stayed in a place called ''Palatka'...(sp??)...about 70 odd miles south of Jackson ville......Stayed there a time or two whilst working in the Caribbean, with  good friends,,,After the Turks and Caicos Islands, the summer 'weather''didn't bother me one bit...beautiful place...right on the St John river...about a five acre block with ancient orange trees still on it ...plus huge ''live oak''   trees

Could I have lived there???...you better bloody believe it !!!......and up there you did not need to speak Spanish

Mike

Get in touch with @SMiller, he lives in central Florida near Orlando and loves it. 

I would offer that areas like Tennessee, Northern Alabama, and similar latitudes all the way across the country to the Rockies might interest you. Check if work has fill in program and travel?

The Farmall Museum is in Leesburg  

Ocala has the Don Garlits Museum

All this is south of Gainesville.

I like the area it is more rural 

A little hot and humid in the summer but you don't have to shovel sun shine 

And your cars and trucks are going last 20+ years no rust out.

I lived in AZ I would go back not to hot for me.

I lived two miles from the don garlits museum in 73-75.  I was in 6 and 7th grade so no real input.   It rained every afternoon at the same time.  Would get home from school, jump on the cr125 and head to the frog pond, an area where we had a track behind the elementary school in Bellview.  Ride for 30 minutes, see the cloud, head to school and drink water from outdoor fountain under cover while it poured for 15 minutes. Sun comes back out and we ride again.  Sure not as pretty as your area in the summer but it's summer year round, not a bad thing in my book.  Big diamondbacks if you like to snake hunt.

My so moved here from Minneapolis area 5 years ago 

Said she would never go back.  Loves the weather and terrain.

Just move south some, if you go to an extreme different climate you will find you dislike a part or two of it like where you are at

Florida is ok. My brother lives in Treasure Island, a barrier Island off St Petersburg. South west Florida is full of people from the  midwest. It is hot and humid three seasons and moderate during winter.

When it's in the in the 50s they put on both their sweaters and socks with their flip flops!

That said there are an awful lot of people in Florida. Yes can find rural areas north of Orlando. 

Thx-Ace 

Southwest would be ok, but where? California is mega taxes. Anyplace that has water or scenery has rich liberal snobs. 1/2 the states are water poor and you don't own the well you use.

Tennessee is nice and supposed to be the most tax friendly state. Beautiful scenery but a little chilly, they get shutdown for a week when an ice storm hits.

It's all a long ways in the future anyway. Still have living family in my area & my house is in need of a lot of work to be ready to sell.

I live in the panhandle, just below Alabama near Marianna,FL...we moved down from western NY in 2017 for dairy farming...been doing it my whole life. We really like it here. The people are laid back down to earth and friendly..yes it gets hot in the summer, but you seem to get used to it much like you do the cold... I'm not going back north

17 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Southwest would be ok, but where? California is mega taxes. Anyplace that has water or scenery has rich liberal snobs. 1/2 the states are water poor and you don't own the well you use.

Tennessee is nice and supposed to be the most tax friendly state. Beautiful scenery but a little chilly, they get shutdown for a week when an ice storm hits.

It's all a long ways in the future anyway. Still have living family in my area & my house is in need of a lot of work to be ready to sell.

Dude AZ is a free state.  Water is there.  Property is fair priced.  Cats run 365...breaking so you go job security.  I Loved the san Antonio area last winter.  You want rough and tumble NM and TX panhandle.  Little more remote/rural.  Yuma i hear rave reviews about.  SC is where Boeing is fleeing too.  Hear good things about there from dads friend. 

Move, if you wanna go.  Dont let stuff hold you back.  You'll be older and tireder.  Run from the Soviet State of MN.  They are gonna tax you citizens to **** to fix the Gov and Majors ignoramus and rascist behavior.

I like the Florida panhandle, 'The Redneck Riviera'. Lots of southerners there.

I like western arkansas. Low mountains, plenty of water (i grow rice). Low taxes and right wing. We get some cold weather but nothing like Minnesota! Our high is in our 50s today.

Texas is great too. Prices are higher but so are wages.

Thx-Ace 

I'm with the guys telling you Texas. Aside from what they've already said, there's something for everybody there. Some are farther away than others, but they're there. It can get cold in parts, but doesn't last long.  The first day of the first time I was there I was in a tshirt at noon, and the wind chill was 3 below that night. Next day was a tshirt again. Send away for one of those Texas travel books and take a look through it

A friend, (Mechanic) spent time in both Arizona and Florida.

The hated Florida and just loves Arizona.

He said Arizona has so much more to do.

Down in that area, you can get away from people or be with them. Your choice.

The off road stuff runs everywhere.

PS: If you want to live out of your motor home, there is a company in South Dakota that will register you as a SD resident.

You then have to come to the state to get a drivers license and use their company address.

You then get a lot cheaper license plates, which the company will get for you.

All mail goes to the company and is forwarded to you at an address you set up.

You vote by absentee ballot and can vote for Kristi.

I have no ties to this company.

http://myhomeaddressinc.com/

Archived