756puller

My two cents are you really don't know how long it will run,sitting is not the best on things with a motor. PRICE  it below one that has been running in same condition. Proper coolant would worry me if it's in freeze zone. Rust in the coolant also. Those orings don't take kindly to sitting in rusty,dirty antifreeze. But hey if you buy it right and put some money in it you will have a better tractor at a good price.

One thing for sure those 5488's, 2 or 4wd are good looking,tractors 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian W said:

I agree that would be a easy $15,000 tractor here in the East. I wish these 5-7 thousand dollar 50 series were here in NY. Beat up old 06 and 56 series are bringing more than that at auction here. 

Local guy here used to go to Texas and buy tractors and equipment for pennies, bring them back to Illinois, fix them up (make them work, not necessarily fix them) and haul them out to New York and put them in equipment auctions.  Made good money, even with all the driving.  Seems people out east like to spend money.  Just because something brings a high price, doesn't mean it's worth it.  You guys are free to purchase out of state and haul it in.  If a tractor in this condition brings 3 times the money were you are..... it don't cost that to truck it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Local guy here used to go to Texas and buy tractors and equipment for pennies, bring them back to Illinois, fix them up (make them work, not necessarily fix them) and haul them out to New York and put them in equipment auctions.  Made good money, even with all the driving.  Seems people out east like to spend money.  Just because something brings a high price, doesn't mean it's worth it.  You guys are free to purchase out of state and haul it in.  If a tractor in this condition brings 3 times the money were you are..... it don't cost that to truck it.  

I even see that difference from us in western IA to eastern IA/western IL. A 4440 will bring 5000.00 more over there than here.

I just found it interesting that the guy bought it for one use. Granted, sounds like he was in a pinch. How cheap is cheap? But then to just let it sit there for ten years? I think I’d have found something to do with it to, as Satchel Paige said, “keep the juices flowin,’.”

6 hours ago, John Rowehl said:

I just found it interesting that the guy bought it for one use. Granted, sounds like he was in a pinch. How cheap is cheap? But then to just let it sit there for ten years? I think I’d have found something to do with it to, as Satchel Paige said, “keep the juices flowin,’.”

Ya know, I  tend to agree with that statement, but often find myself in the same situation as I feel the need to make something better than it was before selling it, then get too busy with everything else to bother with fixing it up, so it sits!

6 hours ago, 756puller said:

He ended up going to a 12 row planter instead of an 8 row. Plus he's gotten a few more tractors since than. He just parked it in the shed and has just left it there.

That 54 would pull the heck out of a 12 row! A 1250 16 row (bulk fill & hydraulic drive) would be a whole different story... even a stripped down one,, just raising the planter and marker...but 900 cyclo 16? Oh yea!!

8 hours ago, John Rowehl said:

There was a time 15 years ago or so that if you were at "go time" and your tractor went down your choice might be having your dealer do repair which in my case they give me a loaner or 2nd option have one of my 3 independant shops do it 8 to 10 weeks out for $10,000 less.  I used option 2 and bought my 806 to keep me going so no rush on the repair. Didn't really expect a $1500 tractor to last more than a few days.  Thats all it needed to do, but it is still going strong. Don't think that would work since the 806 to 50 series are all at collector prices today, but that 5488 may have cost way less than rental of a 200hp tractor for a week in 2010

Look at it this way I have about 33k in my 5488. Its all redone from weights to master clutch with new rear tires,paint etc etc what do you get now a days for that money that you know what's done to it

• Like 3