Got a neighbor back home that has a 2wd 5488 with 9500 hrs on it. It's been sitting ten years in a shed. Has full rack of hundred pound weights and suppose to have a set of duals someplace for it. It's a 4 out of ten in condition of say. Bleed fuel system and it fired right up and idles good. Front end is loose as a goose. Did check for coolant in oil pan and there wasn't any. 

What's a fair price for it?

KIMG0011.JPG

KIMG0010.JPG

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Got a neighbor back home that has a 2wd 5488 with 9500 hrs on it. It's been sitting ten years in a shed. Has full rack of hundred pound weights and suppose to have a set of duals someplace for it. It's a 4 out of ten in condition of say. Bleed fuel system and it fired right up and idles good. Front end is loose as a goose. Did check for coolant in oil pan and there wasn't any. 

What's a fair price for it?

KIMG0011.JPG

KIMG0010.JPG

Any work done to it in its life ? tires look good from what I can see  tractors like that are nearing major repairs too I would low ball a bid on price taking future repair costs into consideration around here they bring anywhere from 15 to 20 and that's if they average

Guy just bought it to plant since his 5288 was getting overhauled than he backed out on the shed and there it has sat since 2010. Don't know of any major issues with it but with the engine sitting not getting the coolant circulated I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the liner prongs let loose.

Square front axle I see!!! If that’s loose, that might get costly because there weren’t many of those around, so parts will be limited, and every square axle I’ve looked into getting for our 5488, they all say it needs a bunch of work?! I’ve seen anything from $8500 on up for a 52-5488 sell that needs work.

• Like 1

Wow what a find. Looks like a good candidate to rebuild and refurbish. Offer $7,500.00 and go from there, but what do I know. Why do so many of those 50’ (or ‘88) series tractors always have their front grills missing????  What is up with that? Did they fall out easily and get plowed under or what? I’ve never been around that series much at all. I swear every dam one of those series I’ve seen down here in TX (not many) but still every one, has its front grill missing and they are beat to crap in general on top of that. 

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Wow what a find. Looks like a good candidate to rebuild and refurbish. Offer $7,500.00 and go from there, but what do I know. Why do so many of those 50’ (or ‘88) series tractors always have their front grills missing????  What is up with that? Did they fall out easily and get plowed under or what? I’ve never been around that series much at all. I swear every dam one of those series I’ve seen down here in TX (not many) but still every one, has its front grill missing and they are beat to crap in general on top of that. 

Is the grill missing ? Looks like it's there to me

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Is the grill missing ? Looks like it's there to me

It looks to be there to me too. I think the image is overexposed due to low light and using flash. 

1 minute ago, FarmallFan said:

It looks to be there to me too. I think the image is overexposed due to low light and using flash. 

Yeah, its there. If you look closely, the IH emblem is in the lower right corner of the grill in the pic. If the grille screen was gone, the emblem wouldn't be there.

How many remotes?  Single shaft PTO or someone retro a twin shaft in it?  For me that front end makes it worth more.  Also do the weights go with it?   Why has it sat 10 years?  

It has the large pto shaft. Has 3 remotes. It has the grill it's just covered by an extra window screen. It has sat cause he bought it to plant with one season as his 5288 was getting the motor overhauled. It should include the front end weights and duals. 

Isn't that the same axle used on the Magnums, I've got a 7110 with over 10k hours and it's still tight, just needs a grease gun regularly like anything else.

5-7500 seen one similar sell down here quick like that for around the same money in the fall, and like its been said those front ends can get costly fixing 

4 hours ago, bkorth said:

Isn't that the same axle used on the Magnums, I've got a 7110 with over 10k hours and it's still tight, just needs a grease gun regularly like anything else.

I don’t believe they are the same?! I know if going from a round front axle, to the square, you have to swap the lower front bolster as well.

5 hours ago, bkorth said:

I am guessing that the front bolster is different from the Magnum as they are different on the 4x4 Magnum to 5x88 

• Like 1

Np getting parts for front axle send axle to have it line bored if needed a and I has the pins bushings tie rods its not a bad job

I'm betting nothing has been done to it for updates. It was traded in to the ih dealer in columbus, my neighbor needed something quick and cheap and that's what he found. Got done planting and put it in the shed after that.

29 minutes ago, 756puller said:

I'm betting nothing has been done to it for updates. It was traded in to the ih dealer in columbus, my neighbor needed something quick and cheap and that's what he found. Got done planting and put it in the shed after that.

A 5488 with 9500 hours has almost certainly had the speed transmission opened up. The question would be, did they update the countershaft at the time to the keyed vs the spline.