Speed lever bolt

On the 3788, bolt that screws down into shift cover is stripped. I can’t shift into first when it’s loose. I can snug it up works for awhile. Any suggestions to fix? Thinks it’s 7 or 10 on pic

C4DE4DE2-A70E-42DD-937A-08E623D31216.png

So... is the bolt stripped or the shift rod that it threads into?  

I'd replace what is stripped.  Why isn't that an option? 

Thinking about this some more....  I'm thinking there was an upgraded shaft, callout #4 and #8. Seems they were changed to a different design that also included a change to #9 and #6.  I am not privy to subbed part numbers, so I don't know if the picture is of the new or old design.  There was a change for sure of those shafts.  I know there was a design that the rod on top was welded to the shaft and the lower assembly held together with a snap ring.  Can't remember which design was first. 

@snoshoe do you remember? 

Well first gear has nothing to do with that. 

I can't remember off hand which way the leaver goes on the speed cover, but I have seen where the arm that runs the rod for the speed under the seat, will hit the arm on the Hi-Lo range cover, if the cab mounts have settled. 

• Like 1

Side stepped this for three reasons. He calls it speed lever bolt and says it is first gear that he can't reach. Then the picture is the range cover. Then people were bound to recomend aftermarket solutions.

Assumeing its the range lever bolt that is loose. The culprit is washer (not shown) under head of bolt. Don't know when change was made, when bulletin came out or if this tractor would have been built with correct washer or not. A lot of those covers have been serviced, washers lost on the bench and replaced with any thing that fit. What is needed to fix this is new lever and shaft. Grade8 bolt and grade8 heavy washer torqued to grade8 specs would hold.

Actually if it is doing what mine did the bolt on the Hi-Low shifter works out to the point where it starts binding up the linkage for the speed transmission. Been a lot of years since I put this kit in mine but that's what I recall. It had me going for a bit last night also. Think the speed lever hits the bolt head as it heads towards first.

1 hour ago, IHC_1470 said:

Actually if it is doing what mine did the bolt on the Hi-Low shifter works out to the point where it starts binding up the linkage for the speed transmission. Been a lot of years since I put this kit in mine but that's what I recall. It had me going for a bit last night also. Think the speed lever hits the bolt head as it heads towards first.

That is what I assumed as to why it affected speed trans. I seem to recall seeing that happen. 

It’s the range coming loose and binding speed linkage. Was looking at it wrong, so can I remove bolt to see wat is stripped or will something drop down and cause more work?

A permanent repair will require cover removal regardless if you use oem or aftermarket parts. There will be motion now between lever and shaft which loosens bolt. You will need new lever and shaft what ever way you go.

The cure for the speed linkage binding on the range Hi-Lo shift bolt is either new cab mounts or shim washers under the cab mounts to raise the cab back up to it's proper height.

• Like 1

What happened on mine was the OEM linkage has two flat spots that the lever sits on. Over time pulling in and out of gear the flat spots started to round over at the outer ends and the hole in the lever did the same. Don't care how tight you tried to get everything when there is play between the shaft and lever you can not hold it. Also started causing issues getting fully into mostly low gear since that is the one used most of the time. It slowly became like the snow balled headed down hill and things just got worst and worst. As things worked loose the bolt would back off too and that is when the speed lever would start to hit it. Not sure if I every tried loctite, that probably would have held the bolt but would not take care of the wear between shaft and lever. 

Pretty sure I was reaching in under the cab trying to keep things tight until I found the time to actually fix it. Anyone who has ever done this job knows just how much fun it is to do. I guess getting the seat out of the way is the worst part, I know my back complains every time I have had it out.

Not sure what if any thing IH did in way of improvements with this issue. The Hy-Capacity kit seemed to solve all the issues, first the lever is pinned to the shaft and then the lever has the capability to clamp very tight to the shaft so little to no chance of it working on the shaft. End of issues. Yes you have to pull the cover but you are going to do that no matter what method of repair one choses to do. 

As far as welding, yes you could do that. If you ever need to get the parts out of the cover one would have to cut them out as they go from the top down to remove. 

58 minutes ago, acem said:

If the shaft has to be replaced to fix it,  would it be worth it to try welding it up? Thx-Ace 

I have done the welding patch on an 86 series when I just didn't have time to fix it and then replaced with Hy-Cap kit later. The shaft it probably worn out under the cover also and possibly the detent spring gone. If you fix this yourself make darn sure the reverse shift shaft does not lift up with the cover when it's removed or you'll be removing auxillary fuel tank also if it has one.

19 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Well first gear has nothing to do with that. 

I can't remember off hand which way the leaver goes on the speed cover, but I have seen where the arm that runs the rod for the speed under the seat, will hit the arm on the Hi-Lo range cover, if the cab mounts have settled. 

One of the other techs just had a 986 in that had broken down cab mounts that caused the speed linkage rod to rub against the range Hi-Lo arm hold down bolt. The symptom? The speed transmission would not engage first gear.

Getting the cab raised up fixed it.

• Like 1

To fix it right it is a fairly big job as others have said. If you want to get by and it is that the arm is just loose and worn, just weld it together. No need to remove the cover. Have to remove the cover to fix it properly, so cut it apart then. I know a lot of people will razz me for sure, but we have welded them more than once. Some guys are in a huge hurry and have empty check books. Believe me, we are not cobblers at all, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.