Rubber insulated chore boot

I have a pair of Baffin Icebear boots, and a pair of Dunlop Purofort Explorer boots. Both are safety toe boots, and I think both have a composite toe. I use them for roadside right of way tree cutting all winter. I rotate them every other day as my feet sweat and I like them to be dry when I put them on. I like that the upper on the Dunlop boot is tighter, that way I can pull my pant legs down over it to keep the sawdust out. The Baffins have a bigger upper that I have to put a fold in it to pull my pant legs down over them, I hate sawdust in my socks! The Baffins are polyurethane and are supposed to resist cracking and stay flexible in the cold, which mine have been, I've had them around 3 years. I've had the Dunlops about 2 winters now. They're both very aggressive tread, very comfortable, and are surprisingly light for a large boot. Neither were cheap though. You can buy the good Baffins, or the cheaper ones, but either boot will run around 200-225 bucks a pair.

• Like 1

Bogs until it gets cold enough for my lace up Schnees.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RBootsMI said:

I have a pair of Baffin Icebear boots, and a pair of Dunlop Purofort Explorer boots. Both are safety toe boots, and I think both have a composite toe. I use them for roadside right of way tree cutting all winter. I rotate them every other day as my feet sweat and I like them to be dry when I put them on. I like that the upper on the Dunlop boot is tighter, that way I can pull my pant legs down over it to keep the sawdust out. The Baffins have a bigger upper that I have to put a fold in it to pull my pant legs down over them, I hate sawdust in my socks! The Baffins are polyurethane and are supposed to resist cracking and stay flexible in the cold, which mine have been, I've had them around 3 years. I've had the Dunlops about 2 winters now. They're both very aggressive tread, very comfortable, and are surprisingly light for a large boot. Neither were cheap though. You can buy the good Baffins, or the cheaper ones, but either boot will run around 200-225 bucks a pair.

That's the same dunlops I just bought. They do fit very nice. Only problem is I couldn't find a size 12. Up to 11 and 13 and up. Lots at work have the Baffin Icebears so curious to see which one holds up better. Baffins look bulky to me. Dunlops are steel toe/steel plate which is what we need for running chainsaw at work. Good thing I get a boot allowance though because holy smokes are they ever proud of them. Do you find one better than the other gripping on ice and snow? My cheaper Actons at home are like winter tires, no slip. The Dunlops I have to be careful going from inside or in the vehicles till they cool off then they seem ok

No one has mentioned laCross? I see an awful lot of em out there. I like the soles, those knobby tread look pretty good, but I have these bogs that won’t die and a pair of muck chore boots that are holding up ok. 

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

That's the same dunlops I just bought. They do fit very nice. Only problem is I couldn't find a size 12. Up to 11 and 13 and up. Lots at work have the Baffin Icebears so curious to see which one holds up better. Baffins look bulky to me. Dunlops are steel toe/steel plate which is what we need for running chainsaw at work. Good thing I get a boot allowance though because holy smokes are they ever proud of them. Do you find one better than the other gripping on ice and snow? My cheaper Actons at home are like winter tires, no slip. The Dunlops I have to be careful going from inside or in the vehicles till they cool off then they seem ok

I've got a size 12 as well, which must be a popular size because a lot of the boots, regular leather included, that I've bought over the last 2 years I had trouble getting a 12, and noticed that it seemed like anything 10-13 were not available. If one place couldn't get a 12, it seemed like none of them could, but if I found a place that claimed they had 12's, I immediately ordered them. I almost think the Baffins are better for grip on slippery type stuff, only because they seem to concentrate the traction on those little star points on the sole, so they have less surface area to slide on when you get somewhere smooth. Its like all of the traction is being utilized, instead of some that isn't gripping, causing a slip. Like a dually pickup on ice lol.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, db1486 said:

I have Husqvarna saw boots, have had them for years but scarcely ever wear them, too hot for one and too heavy for another, they are pinned for studs, which I presume are a Husqvarna accessory? Not sure who ACTUALLY makes them, but i am sure it is not Husqvarna, though i think they do say made in Sweden.  Not my favorite boot in the closet, but easily the most durable and best made. The wife got me new liners for Christmas a couple years back, don't think i have worn them more than twice since. 

Gemplers just came out with their own brand of muck style boots. I got a pair a month back, so far so good. Not quite as much cushion on insoles, probably will put some better insoles in them at some point. Mine aren't insulated. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have Husqvarna saw boots, have had them for years but scarcely ever wear them, too hot for one and too heavy for another, they are pinned for studs, which I presume are a Husqvarna accessory? Not sure who ACTUALLY makes them, but i am sure it is not Husqvarna, though i think they do say made in Sweden.  Not my favorite boot in the closet, but easily the most durable and best made. The wife got me new liners for Christmas a couple years back, don't think i have worn them more than twice since. 

I have the Stihl chainsaw boots at work. Wore them a few times and thats it. I find them very uncomfortable and like you said too dang hot in the summer. Some days I could be doing alot of walking and those are not walking boots lol. They will last a long long time though. I think either stihl or Husqvarna boots are made by Viking. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No one has mentioned laCross? I see an awful lot of em out there. I like the soles, those knobby tread look pretty good, but I have these bogs that won’t die and a pair of muck chore boots that are holding up ok. 

Lacross only for me , 8 years ago when they tried to stop us from hunting Bear in maine  Muck gave money to help stop bear hunting, They lost that battle and a lot of boot sales here, Lacross Red logger boot steel toe 2 pair last me eight years switch pairs every day so hay dry out

• Like 1

Northerners here too most of my life but got so they didn't last nor could find them so easy local. Last couple pair been mucks and have held up for me but I only wear them on average an hour or 2 a day. Probably not that even any more.

Dryshod sound like something to check out tho.

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

i did ;) 

5 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

who  remembers the old over boots with the buckles We wore them in the army kept your feet dry and warm all day

they are still  used around here - even make them with pointed toes for cowboy boots - available in 4 or 5 buckles - maybe more i never had more than the 5 buckle 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

they are still  used around here - even make them with pointed toes for cowboy boots - available in 4 or 5 buckles - maybe more i never had more than the 5 buckle 

also can get them in brown or black colors at our old farm store up home - i think lacrosse made green ones too -  striped overalls from key or big smith - red or white union suits - scarfs - wool gloves - mittens - stuff that most places dont have these days - kind of like stepping back in time that store is

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

Thats cool

15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

also can get them in brown or black colors at our old farm store up home - i think lacrosse made green ones too -  striped overalls from key or big smith - red or white union suits - scarfs - wool gloves - mittens - stuff that most places dont have these days - kind of like stepping back in time that store is

where is this store  and what is the name of it

On 1/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, RBootsMI said:

I've got a size 12 as well, which must be a popular size because a lot of the boots, regular leather included, that I've bought over the last 2 years I had trouble getting a 12, and noticed that it seemed like anything 10-13 were not available. If one place couldn't get a 12, it seemed like none of them could, but if I found a place that claimed they had 12's, I immediately ordered them. I almost think the Baffins are better for grip on slippery type stuff, only because they seem to concentrate the traction on those little star points on the sole, so they have less surface area to slide on when you get somewhere smooth. Its like all of the traction is being utilized, instead of some that isn't gripping, causing a slip. Like a dually pickup on ice lol.

Try wearing a 15 they are hard to get.

50 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Try wearing a 15 they are hard to get.

We call that “xtra-squatchy” around here. 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We call that “xtra-squatchy” around here. 

I have three girls all tall I call them baby Sasquatch’s .

• Haha 1