4 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Jensales has intake and exhaust valves I saw. Intake are $30 each and exhaust $50 each. Starting valves are $40 each. Jensales has the seats too if needed. I'm sure if you dig somewhat further into the internet, you will find other sources that carry these parts. Jensales usually is on the high side with their prices so I would do so myself.

Is your head still good considering a valve crashed into the piston? Is it cracked or not?

I’m going to pull the head today, ran out of time yesterday. I’m hoping it’s still good. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few that I had, I wish I would have taken more. Last one is first start and I was driving it back to the shop to finish putting belly pan on and the radiator guard. First picture is the #4 pist

the 14's and 18's have the same pistons and sleeves. i presume the valves are the same also. just that the 18 has 2 more cyl's. and it has 2 heads. i better ask more for my crawlers then, lol. but i m

to far then, im in alberta canada.

Posted Images

Donor engine is looking very appealing as parts list mounts?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I would say so too if the head is cracked.

I found an engine for 2250. Not sure if it runs or not. I don’t know if that’s a good deal or what they go for. 
I also am needing the camshaft gear and crank gears. I have an extra idler gear. But I believe what had happened is it slipped the timing and pistons hit the valves and bent the valves on #1 and broke them on #4. 

1 hour ago, Maythew962110 said:

I found an engine for 2250. Not sure if it runs or not. I don’t know if that’s a good deal or what they go for. 
I also am needing the camshaft gear and crank gears. I have an extra idler gear. But I believe what had happened is it slipped the timing and pistons hit the valves and bent the valves on #1 and broke them on #4. 

For 2250 you can get new main bearings and new pistons with sleeves.. it sounds like too much to me, especially as condition is unknown. I'm not into the larger engines at all, would like to tho. Either @rustred or @hardtail will know more about the values I reckon

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

For 2250 you can get new main bearings and new pistons with sleeves.. it sounds like too much to me, especially as condition is unknown. I'm not into the larger engines at all, would like to tho. Either @rustred or @hardtail will know more about the values I reckon

I’ve got a place near here looking for bearings and pistons and the things I need. I’m shopping prices to see where I can get the best deal. I can see one crack in the head running towards one of the intake valves. But I know a guy who does machine work and he says he can fix it.

32 minutes ago, Maythew962110 said:

I’ve got a place near here looking for bearings and pistons and the things I need. I’m shopping prices to see where I can get the best deal. I can see one crack in the head running towards one of the intake valves. But I know a guy who does machine work and he says he can fix it.

That sucks. I hope your guy knows how to weld cast iron.. my dad once told me a story about it he whitnessed.

My grandfather, who was a contractor, had several German IH tractors and one had a cracked head sometime 20 or 25 years ago. He was sceptical about having it welded as it was cast iron. Some guy he knew said he could weld heads, so he did. The head came back looking really good. The weld was inviseble. They put the engine together again and ran the tractor. It wasn't fully warm yet and the head failed. The crack had reopened again and had expanded massively. It appeared the weld was made from the wrong material... 

Anyways, if the guy knows what he is doing, it might be a good and cheap fix, but I'm always sceptical about cast heads being welded, because of the story above. On the other hand, there probably are many people who had great succes too

Just a thought ?

1 hour ago, Farmall 1466 said:

That sucks. I hope your guy knows how to weld cast iron.. my dad once told me a story about it he whitnessed.

My grandfather, who was a contractor, had several German IH tractors and one had a cracked head sometime 20 or 25 years ago. He was sceptical about having it welded as it was cast iron. Some guy he knew said he could weld heads, so he did. The head came back looking really good. The weld was inviseble. They put the engine together again and ran the tractor. It wasn't fully warm yet and the head failed. The crack had reopened again and had expanded massively. It appeared the weld was made from the wrong material... 

Anyways, if the guy knows what he is doing, it might be a good and cheap fix, but I'm always sceptical about cast heads being welded, because of the story above. On the other hand, there probably are many people who had great succes too

Just a thought ?

I definitely want to fix the old girl. the undercarriage is in pretty decent shape and the trans worked fine and the steering clutches were good. I do believe the right side needed to be adjusted. I’m hoping parts aren’t crazy expensive. 
when I bought the machine I only have 500 for it. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to put 1-2k in it. 

$2250 seems really high, I paid $200 for a 14A jet head but it was a long time ago and it was a sweet deal, your search might expand some with looking for TD18A parts, they were similar engine except 6 cylinder, sleeves and pistons same, valves likely same, gear case maybe, cylinder head no

How long have you been looking, sometimes deals come along if you have a bit of time, probably stuff sitting in Nevada- Arizona, think there was a Texas 18 that surfaced last week, didn’t sound like selling yet though

6 hours ago, hardtail said:

$2250 seems really high, I paid $200 for a 14A jet head but it was a long time ago and it was a sweet deal, your search might expand some with looking for TD18A parts, they were similar engine except 6 cylinder, sleeves and pistons same, valves likely same, gear case maybe, cylinder head no

How long have you been looking, sometimes deals come along if you have a bit of time, probably stuff sitting in Nevada- Arizona, think there was a Texas 18 that surfaced last week, didn’t sound like selling yet though

I have been looking for about a week now. I’m definitely not in a hurry. The motor I found is in a motor grader and they would be pulling it. They also would start and run it before selling, but I wasn’t sure what a engine would go. 

ill do some digging on the td18a and see if I can find some stuff on it. 

I have some used pistons 251057r11, some new starting valves 251074r1,some new intake valves 42747d,some exhaust valves 32482dd,a 1 camschaft gear 32284dc and have 1 crankshaft gear and have no number she still on the crankshaft.

gemdozer@hotmail.com

33 minutes ago, hector gemme said:

I have some used pistons 251057r11, some new starting valves 251074r1,some new intake valves 42747d,some exhaust valves 32482dd,a 1 camschaft gear 32284dc and have 1 crankshaft gear and have no number she still on the crankshaft.

gemdozer@hotmail.com

I sent you an email 

That’s what my spare engine came out of a Champion grader they torched the frame rails off behind the cab so I got it all Rockford clutch and all

Hecter has been helping guys here for years, high satisfaction rating

the 14's and 18's have the same pistons and sleeves. i presume the valves are the same also. just that the 18 has 2 more cyl's. and it has 2 heads. i better ask more for my crawlers then, lol. but i might need parts for my WD40 in the future if i keep pulling it.

• Like 2
On 1/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, hardtail said:

That’s what my spare engine came out of a Champion grader they torched the frame rails off behind the cab so I got it all Rockford clutch and all

Hecter has been helping guys here for years, high satisfaction rating

If I did find an engine what would one be worth?

1 hour ago, Maythew962110 said:

If I did find an engine what would one be worth?

Well.. I paid 600 dollars in total for my WD-9 parts block, and thats including shipping to Europe. It is not stuck.

So.. if you find a okay running one, I think I would have paid $1k at max if you were to pick it up yourself. But again, I might be wrong about the values. The gentlemen I tagged before will know.

I would say up to $1K for a good runner max

A few recent auctions for $800-2K for complete running crawler

Fresno tractor in CA is parting one out, engine is still in it but across the country 

44 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I would say up to $1K for a good runner max

A few recent auctions for $800-2K for complete running crawler

Fresno tractor in CA is parting one out, engine is still in it but across the country 

That’s what I figured they would be worth. I definitely don’t want to spend 2k on one with unknown condition. 

I hate to say if I can’t find anything local might just have to part mine out. 

If you can wait it out, something should turn up, sounds like you would like to keep it, or back to a repower

I picked up a parts machine earlier. Got a few useable engine parts I can salvage. Front gears and such. But I believe it has a jet head on it. Will that interchange with mine? Mine is not a jet head I think since it doesn’t have the water manifold on the intake side. Only bad thing is the engine had water in it so I’m sure the bottom end is shot. 

I will post a link to the jet head explanation I provided a few weeks ago, head gasket and other things will be different but they had a field service bulletin to convert from none to jethead

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

I will post a link to the jet head explanation I provided a few weeks ago, head gasket and other things will be different but they had a field service bulletin to convert from none to jethead

Good info! I don’t know if I want to go through the extra trouble to convert. Probably use the valves out of this one for mine. Having a hard time find .030 bearings for a reasonable price. 450 for a set of mains on jensales and I couldn’t find .030 rod bearings there though. 

• 2 months later...

How did this turn out?

New topic of rebuilt 14A engine shop is closing down in New York?