• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few that I had, I wish I would have taken more. Last one is first start and I was driving it back to the shop to finish putting belly pan on and the radiator guard. First picture is the #4 pist

the 14's and 18's have the same pistons and sleeves. i presume the valves are the same also. just that the 18 has 2 more cyl's. and it has 2 heads. i better ask more for my crawlers then, lol. but i m

to far then, im in alberta canada.

Posted Images

I am in a similar situation with mine. I have located a UD-14A power unit I am trying to buy to replace mine. 
I see the power units come up on BigIron auctions occasionally but they are usually too far from me(KS or NE).

14 hours ago, Maythew962110 said:

Got an old 14a that the engine locked down on the bottom end. Anyone know of a repower option or anywhere to get engine parts? 

Engine parts can be get, for example via Jensales. They are very expensive, however...

12 hours ago, rustred said:

sell u the wholeTD14A crawler . 1k.

What’s the condition of this?

Bare crawler or accessories on it?

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

What’s the condition of this?

Bare crawler or accessories on it?

complete crawler c/w original heavy blade. stuck from sitting. actually in pretty good condition.

16 hours ago, Maythew962110 said:

Where are you located? I’m in central texas

16 hours ago, Maythew962110 said:

Where are you located? I’m in central texas

IMG_2235 (1).JPG

• Like 1

If you use a industrial engine you need the pan and oil pickup from the dozer engine.? At least if it is like Cat dozers. On a slope you will run out of oil if you don't.

25 minutes ago, ray54 said:

If you use a industrial engine you need the pan and oil pickup from the dozer engine.? At least if it is like Cat dozers. On a slope you will run out of oil if you don't.

I don’t even know what kind of engine would be good to repower it with. Really can’t find any good info online about it. Does anybody know someone who has done something like that?

Seen a few repowers over the years but not on a lot of 14’s, they had a lot of those engines UD14 in a multitude of different equipment, they were around 80-100 hp depending on version but were relatively low speed and high torque would be the challenge for a replacement, probably easier to find one that was on an old irrigation pump in your region

9 hours ago, rustred said:

IMG_2235 (1).JPG

What’s the U/C like? Tough to tell in the shadows, dangerously close by at a tempting price, wife #3 might be in my future?

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Seen a few repowers over the years but not on a lot of 14’s, they had a lot of those engines UD14 in a multitude of different equipment, they were around 80-100 hp depending on version but were relatively low speed and high torque would be the challenge for a replacement, probably easier to find one that was on an old irrigation pump in your region

I figured that would be the trouble is matching the original engine speed/torque. Since everything now days runs 2k rpms. When the weather clears here hopefully around this weekend I’ll get the engine out and pull the pan and see exactly what I need. 

Well I was meaning if you put a ud14 IH engine in. I don't know what you would do with something like a truck engine. But if you don't work on steep side slopes all is good.

Guys have repowered with old Detroit’s, rpm and torque curve way different on that choice

14 hours ago, hardtail said:

What’s the U/C like? Tough to tell in the shadows, dangerously close by at a tempting price, wife #3 might be in my future?

its actually in good shape. exmilitary unit better come and get it. your close. have a td18 here also.

12 hours ago, hardtail said:

What’s the story on the 18?

its the second one built in 1949, # 16709. need one sleeve as it is cracked. have the sleeve. i took heads off and they look really good condition, and no cracks. cylinders look good. crawler is in good condition. it was used for digging dug outs. no blade. i have all parts in shop on the shelf. 

• Like 1

Pulled the engine this afternoon got the pan off and the engine had dropped a valve on cylinder 4. 
going to try and find a piston and a set of main and rod bearings. Also need a camshaft gear and the crank gear. They are getting pretty worn. 

AC72B1DD-B693-4D52-8C54-D29BBEE13EEE.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Maythew962110 said:

Pulled the engine this afternoon got the pan off and the engine had dropped a valve on cylinder 4. 
going to try and find a piston and a set of main and rod bearings. Also need a camshaft gear and the crank gear. They are getting pretty worn. 

AC72B1DD-B693-4D52-8C54-D29BBEE13EEE.jpeg

Webers tractor Works would have the main bearings and rod bearings http://www.weberstractorworks.com

They carry pistons as well, usually as a set with sleeves, if you want new. 

Jensales has intake and exhaust valves I saw. Intake are $30 each and exhaust $50 each. Starting valves are $40 each. Jensales has the seats too if needed. I'm sure if you dig somewhat further into the internet, you will find other sources that carry these parts. Jensales usually is on the high side with their prices so I would do so myself.

Is your head still good considering a valve crashed into the piston? Is it cracked or not?