what are ledger plates?

nomorejohndeere

They are used in the old style single rock guards they are riveted in under the lip to give a new cutting edge, not very easy even with the special tool we had.  I always changed to the double combine style guards.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tractorsupply.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FTractorSupplyCompany%2F1201366%3F%24456%24&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tractorsupply.com%2Ftsc%2Fproduct%2Funiversal-rock-guard-g81-0803&tbnid=nfsuvJWCjgSpwM&vet=1&docid=3_nuKR-lp_iIjM&w=456&h=456&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

• Thanks 1

I wonder if it depends on the area and soil type wether they were desired in that area ? 

37 minutes ago, bitty said:

I wonder if it depends on the area and soil type wether they were desired in that area ? 

That too, never saw them on a bean head, but always on the mowers. Dad always said if the ledger plates weren't good, leave the mower on the yard. They would mow alfalfa, but not grass.

Mowers, binders, anything with knife guards would have replaceable ledger plates. I've got a few survivors here but haven't tried replacing one in years. The newer guards don't have them on anything I run. 

Would have to go back a long time to see them in use around here.

None of my Rowse mowers had them but I bought used so they could have been replaced.

Throwaway guards are all I have ever used.

I would imagine the ledger plates were serrated so you would use a smooth section.

I used to use bottom serrated sections and smooth guards on my bar mowers. I would sharpen sickles every night. Hated it.

I now use top serrated sections and smooth guards on my swather. No sharpening! Freed up two hours a day!

3 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Would have to go back a long time to see them in use around here.

None of my Rowse mowers had them but I bought used so they could have been replaced.

Throwaway guards are all I have ever used.

I would imagine the ledger plates were serrated so you would use a smooth section.

I used to use bottom serrated sections and smooth guards on my bar mowers. I would sharpen sickles every night. Hated it.

I now use top serrated sections and smooth guards on my swather. No sharpening! Freed up two hours a day!

Both the inside and outer "shoes" should have ledger plates in them, unless you have gone to running a double guards on the outer end. The inner ledger plate looks quite a bit different. I have a couple of inners for a Kosch mower, but nothing for my IH or Rowse.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pages from a 1973 Parts and Accessories catalog showing mower parts.  I sold a lot of these parts back in the day, but do not remember any information to help decide which sickle section (smooth, overserrated underserrated, chrome, etc) was best for a particular use.  Has anyone here seen such information from IH?  Brian

CA497064-A663-44B6-8CE9-936AC571617D.jpeg

485833EE-C109-48D7-81BC-81E4A4FABBD5.jpeg

Here is some info. This comes from a 1976 literature piece IH came out with about the improvements IH has made in different machines in the last 145 years (1831-1976). I also have a nine minute film from 1964 that talks a little about the “quick change ledger plate system”  and what IH had to offer for sickle mower parts at the time.

3B257CB0-3F06-44AC-BBE3-40C9CC59334F.thumb.jpeg.9720a3d54b626fcf2f6ecfbbe0eb94f9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

unless you have gone to running a double guards on the outer end.

That is what I did, I now remember. I made the thing that holds the grass board and got rid of the outer shoe entirely, just a double guard out there. I liked how it took weight off the end of the 9' bars. It's been a while now since I ran Rowse. 

Thanks for the refresher Nick. 

Here is what they look like. (on my Kosch)

561437371_koschoutershoe.thumb.jpg.c13fa20ded531a03b2c74763f9bf6e08.jpg

1708764126_koschoutershoe2.thumb.jpg.7d5e2ac6dada6beeaf55004d928865e4.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

That is what I did, I now remember. I made the thing that holds the grass board and got rid of the outer shoe entirely, just a double guard out there. I liked how it took weight off the end of the 9' bars. It's been a while now since I ran Rowse. 

Here is what they look like. (on my Kosch)

Better pictures in the light!

5 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Better pictures in the light!

Yeah, sorry bout that. Snapped them quick before I left. Lighting was not my friend ?

I'll get some better ones.